SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Book recommendation on the Jon Benet Ramsey murder case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book recommendation on the Jon Benet Ramsey murder case Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone recommend a book on the topic? Amazon has several, but I'll get one from my library using interlibrary loan if necessary.

Yeah, it's old news, but AFAIK they still have not named the killer. Was it her brother? The father? Was Boulder PD really sloppy?

Which of these do members recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jon...b_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_9

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump. She was murdered on this date in 1996.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
There's an excellent up to date doc on this case free on TUBI TV. Watched it last week, Definitely worth a watch.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I remember watching an excellent documentary on the case a few years back but, for the life of me, I don't remember who produced it.

I came away with the conclusion that the initial and ongoing investigation was poorly handled; that her brother is the guilty party and; that the parents knew he did it, but for whatever reasons, they covered for him.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I remember watching an excellent documentary on the case a few years back

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6087230/

Watch here:
https://watchdocumentaries.com...-of-jonbenet-ramsey/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Douglas wrote about the case in his book “The Cases That Haunt Us”.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Perfect Murder, Perfect Town by Lawrence Schiller was very good.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Perfect Murder, Perfect Town by Lawrence Schiller was very good.

Excellent book with LOTS of detail, published about two years after the murder.

Then I watched the two hour documentary posted by Bald1, made 20 years after the murder. There is much less detail, it focuses in on who did it.

Spoiler alert:
>
>
>
>
>
>
Like ggile, I'm convinced the nine year old brother killed her and the parents covered it up. The documentary does a good job "proving" the case. No one was ever charged.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I remember watching an excellent documentary on the case a few years back

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6087230/

Watch here:
https://watchdocumentaries.com...-of-jonbenet-ramsey/

Thanks for posting these links!

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Like ggile, I'm convinced the nine year old brother killed her and the parents covered it up. The documentary does a good job "proving" the case. No one was ever charged.

Based on the recommendations for this documentary, I watched it this past weekend, and arrived at the same conclusion. I could've done without some of the dramatizations, suspenseful music, unnecessary dramatic recreations, etc.. but I suppose that's what is needed to get a documentary aired or watched these days, and I'd still recommend it. Much of the methodology seemed valid, and for the most part, the expert opinions (and occasional disagreement) seemed authentic.

In addition to the conclusion reached about who committed the killing, it's obvious that the investigation was handled poorly, and with malfeasance. Initially, due to a couple mistakes made by on-scene investigators that were acting on the assumption that a kidnapping had taken place (even though there were some Red Flags early on)... but far more by the DAs that, early in the investigation, allowed this case to become political, and actively prevented the type of investigation needed to actually resolve the case.

The family made the decision to cover up the homicide, and the DAs facilitated the cover up.

Even though this is officially an active Cold Case, Jon Benet won't get justice... at least not until there is a renewed interest in pushing for a resolution, including running new DNA tests on some of the preserved evidence. But, at this point, it's in the Boulder community and judicial system's best interest not to solve this crime, lest the scope of the malfeasance be discovered by the public.

Edited: to change a word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
An old neighbor did a forensic analysis of the note left at the scene. He thought the guilty party was a member of the family.
He also looked at handwriting from South America and determined it came from Eichmann, and looked over Vince Foster’s suicide note “for some old friends”
He retired as head of the documents section at the CIA.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post