Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sandman Login/Join 
posted
Never heard of it so I started watching it. Very overt gay. Like everybody is LBGTQ+ or whatever. I found it weird and annoying so I started doing some research. Turns out it was written as an openly gay comic. So now I feel stupid for complaining about that because it was exactly that in the first place.

I would avoid this if you don’t like sexuality dripping out of every metaphorical orifice. It’s like Dreamgirls but with very gay twist/bias.

Kind of slow too. I only got through 3 episodes and won’t go back so maybe somebody can spoiler alert tell me what happens. It seems like it could be an interesting story if it wasn’t so in your face sexuality wise. It’s 2022 so it’s not shocking anymore it is just weirdly in your face and overtakes the story.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I noticed some of the overt gayness. Unless you have an overly-sensitive gaydar I don't think you'll find it overwhelming or distracting. My wife and I certainly did not.

I think our biggest disappointment was the casting of Lucifer Morningstar (Satan, the Devil, etc.). That just didn't work for us. (Unlike how Gabriel was cast in the movie Constantine--or even Death, in Sandman.)

Overall, my wife and I quite enjoyed the series and are looking forward to the next season.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Matthew is the only redeeming quality.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed.

Visually beautiful at times, but the acting, plot, pacing, and dialogue left a lot to be desired. Meandering and dull overall, it peaked with the first episode and was a downhill slog from there, with a few bright spots along the way (like the half-episode with Death). It takes 7-8 full episodes of dilly-dallying to set up the main plot for the season, then rushes to hurriedly resolve it by episode 10's season finale.

I'm not sure what series ensigmatic watched, but it certainly felt like Netflix went out of their way to bludgeon us over the head with the diversity and LGBTQ stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Matthew is the only redeeming quality.

I actually thought that Patton Oswalt was a poor choice for that role. His voice is so recognizable and overly grating that I felt it was distracting.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree Rogue. Patton Oswald was over the top choice. I kept waiting for the raven to do stand up. As for ensigmatic, his gaydar must be inop at this moment. This was all gay all day from the start. You have to look hard to even find a straight character.

It seems like a vehicle to get those equity inclusion diversity points that corporations melt over. Too bad because the car ncept is intriguing. If they didn’t spend so much effort trying to bludgeon me with alternative lifestyles they might have put more effort into the script.

I also agree Constantine was great. From casting to script it nailed it.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I loved the story, absolutely disappointed to the degree of extremely being highly annoyed, all relationships portrayed were homosexual in nature.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Netflix did quite a bit of fucking around with The Sandman from the source material. Here’s one article from Esquire of all places:

https://www.esquire.com/entert...cast-changes-comics/

Amazon is also adapting the graphic novel for Audible that Neil Gaiman had said is 100% failthful.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
WARNING: Possible plot spoilers, though I did my best to mask them.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Wife and I loved the story, absolutely disappointed to the degree of extremely being highly annoyed, all relationships portrayed were homosexual in nature.

Not true.

The protagonist, Dream, is not even implied to be gay. Neither are any of the dream or nightmare characters, save one, nor any of the other dream land characters. Neither the Vortex nor the Vortex' mother are gay. Nor are the Goth characters, Ken & Barbie, Constantine, or any of Dreams' siblings. (Though Desire seems pretty sketchy.) The Vortex' sibling's captors are clearly not gay, nor is her friend.

The innkeeper is presumed to be gay, by his appearance, mannerisms, and "hobby." Other than that, the only overtly gay are one characters son (being purposely vague so as not to induce a spoiler) and his partner.

Am I missing any main characters? <checks IMDB...> Doesn't look like it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Constantine

Yeah, there's not a hint of LGBTQ in an (inexplicably female) Constantine who returns to her former lesbian lover to apologize, and then proceeds to get into a makeout session with her...

quote:
or any of Dreams' siblings. (Though Desire seems pretty sketchy.)

The Desire who's portrayed by an effeminate man wearing makeup and lowcut dresses? That one?

Nope, no LGTBQ there either... Roll Eyes

Hence why I question whether we actually watched the same series. If we did... My man, your gaydar is so broken that it's running in reverse.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Constantine
Yeah, there's not a hint of homosexuality in an inexplicably female Constantine who returns to her former lesbian lover to apologize...
Whoops! You're right. I'd forgotten about that. My bad. In my defense: A fairly minor plot piece.
quote:
quote:
... or any of Dreams' siblings. (Though Desire seems pretty sketchy.)
The Desire who's portrayed by an effeminate man wearing makeup and lowcut dresses? That one?
What part of "seems pretty sketchy" did you fail to grasp?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The innkeeper is presumed to be gay, by his appearance, mannerisms, and "hobby." Other than that, the only overtly gay are one characters son (being purposely vague so as not to induce a spoiler) and his partner.

Constantine.

The Corinthian.

Rose's housesitter.

The lady at the diner who had the fight with her girlfriend.

The cook at the diner.

The executive's husband at the diner.

The fan/blogger at the convention.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Constantine.

The Corinthian.

The Vortex's housesitter.

The lesbian from the diner who had the fight with her girlfriend.

The cook at the diner.

The executive's husband at the diner.
Ok, you're right. I forgot a bunch of them.

We still enjoyed it, despite the gaystravaganza.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hence why I question whether we actually watched the same series. If we did... My man, your gaydar is so broken that it's running in reverse.
You may have a point.

Just stepped in the family room and said "Hey, honey?" and related the substance of the last few posts. "They're not wrong, you know," I said. "Hmmm... yeah...," she replied. "If you put a 'like' on that, maybe we should remove it?" "Yeah, I think so."

I guess we've watched far too much NetFlix and become conditioned to it. As I told my wife: I don't have a problem with homosexuality. What I do have a problem with is being conditioned.

Problem is: Where does one turn for mindless entertainment? Sure, we could cancel NetFlix, but, apparently, it's on everything, everywhere.

posted Hide Post
I remember the lesbian goth girl in my high school was heavy into this comic. I hope she likes the show.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess we've watched far too much NetFlix and become conditioned to it.

That's exactly what they are shooting for. Once us older folks are out of the way, every perversion will no longer be taboo because streaming services have inundated their viewers with shit like this every chance they can squeeze in some mental illness for the alphabets. The show could have been so much better than what it actually was. The gayness was only a (large) portion of the problem I had with it. To my eyes, it looked out of focus in many places as if filmed through a fish eye wide angle lens. I'm sure some artsy fartsy thought it was cool, but it made the viewing "blah" at best. Dialog was horrible. The only thing thought provoking to me was Fiddlers Green at the end of the 10th episode. Neat concept!

Overall, shit like this is why Netflix is going broke. THEY ARE PURPOSELY BASHING US NORMAL FOLKS OVER THE HEAD WITH THE QUEERNESS, and a lot of people are over it. Hell, even some of those that found themselves supporting the perpetually deviant alphabet group have had their fill of it. I hate more regulation as much as the next person, but the MPAA needs to add a category to get shit like this higher up on the rating scale (TV-MA to Rated R) would be a good step. I think adding a category outside of Sex & Nudity should be required to allow people to see whether a show or movie is appropriate for them and their families.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
I guess we've watched far too much NetFlix and become conditioned to it.

That's exactly what they are shooting for.

Overall, shit like this is why Netflix is going broke. THEY ARE PURPOSELY BASHING US NORMAL FOLKS OVER THE HEAD WITH THE QUEERNESS, and a lot of people are over it.

It's more than just Netflix with a dildo up their ass (and pretty much all others).
It has a lot to do the the Blackrock influence and their so called ESG ratings.
All about their philosophy to keep investors and has nothing to do with reality or what people aka viewers want .

We are being manipulated by Blackrock. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
After the restaurant and the motel episodes, I stand by Matthew is the best character. He was at least straight in his former life.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
WARNING: Possible plot spoilers, though I did my best to mask them.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Not true.

The protagonist, Dream, is not even implied to be gay. Neither are any of the dream or nightmare characters, save one, nor any of the other dream land characters. Neither the Vortex nor the Vortex' mother are gay. Nor are the Goth characters, Ken & Barbie, Constantine, or any of Dreams' siblings. (Though Desire seems pretty sketchy.) The Vortex' sibling's captors are clearly not gay, nor is her friend.

Am I missing any main characters? <checks IMDB...> Doesn't look like it.

Okay, let me rephrase that; nearly all, if not all, characters seen kissing or sleeping with another character is doing it with someone of the same sex.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I enjoyed the show. Me more than her. I thought the sexuality stuff was tolerable. Production-wise, it is gorgeous. I thought it could have been shortened to 8 episodes. The actor playing Desire, though we see little of her/him, is excellent. Looking forward to Season 2. All in all, worth watching.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I lied. I continued watching. I think this show had potential. The gay stuff isn't the biggest problem. The script is. There are stretches of this show that just drag on and on. I found myself surfing the internet while the show played in the background and when I came back to the TV I really didn't miss anything. At all. I'm still not sure I will finish but it's not the all day gay aspect it is the slogging pace of the show.

The entire episode with the crazy son and the ruby was entirely too long and the culmination was gibberish. The outcome made sense because he is basically a god who created (?) the ruby and he is battling a mentally handicapped human who somehow altered the ruby. How is this even a battle? Put him to sleep and take the ruby. ugh