SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    GOT a turntable, lots of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT a turntable, lots of questions Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
So a quick update. I have been spinning this Dual for a little bit now. Man how I missed Led Zeppelin on vinyl!!!

LoL. Glad to read you're enjoying life with a needle (the good kind!) Big Grin

As an aside I had a number of guests at my home after my son's interment. Lit off the big stereo and played a number of vinyl discs that they requested. All were well over 40 years old.
The looks on their faces at not only the sound from my system but the absence of pops, clicks, and crackles was a lot of fun to see. They all expressed astonishment. Told them that proper vinyl care and accurate stylus tracking force and geometry can work wonders. And what they had just heard blows the common myth of nasty vinyl audio playback issues out of the water!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again I am sorry for your loss. Although you managed to find some joy on that day. Music has many influential properties.

So much fuller sound even with the pops and crackles. Original Zeppelin 2 album, so 52 years old, 53 next month! I think Mom still has the Who Tommy and the Woodstock album yet. I think she got rid of the rest of them years ago. I have Zeppelin 4, the Zoso album, and the Who live at Leeds. This is going to get expensive very quickly!!

As of now I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX27-TX receiver and the Dual 1015. I forget the cartridge that's in it now. I'll have to look later. Running through JBL Northridge speakers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pc5mNkmVL1dheCEe8

It's not a great picture but it shows what I'm working with at the moment. I'm looking for an old dresser I can reconfigure or a buffet so I can set everything up higher. I also need some speaker stands to get them off of the floor.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has a Pickering V-15FG stylus in it now. It had a Shure but the stylus was worn away.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
No valuable info to add but seeing that the Technics 1200 mk II i owned in the mid 80s is still around and copied by others i got nothing but respect and admiration for it.

Used to replace cartridges twice a year and spent $500 on each. I believe i used mostly Shure.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had that Technics until I upgraded to a Revox many years ago!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you store your albums? I know on end/edge is not the best way but laying flat will be cumbersome to dig through when the one I want is on the bottom.

Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I always thought that standing on end was the preferred method for storage?

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agree

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vertical. I misread Bald1 post a few pages back.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
I always thought that standing on end was the preferred method for storage?

That is how I've always stored mine also.

You want them as vertical as possible, not leaning over to put any sway on the disc

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I inherited a TT from my parents. It had been in a box and forgotten for . . . 20+ years.

It is a MCS 6502, I know it is not a very good unit but it is mine.

I have ordered some detox spray to clean the switches and a new belt. the cart will have to wait I think. I have no idea if it can even be upgraded.

I only have about 15 vinyl albums, most are from when I was a kid and have scratches and stuff.

Do I need a actual "phono" capture? I have a mp3 recorder and was going to just use the line in to record the albums. But I was reading about the 'standard equalization curve' and that you need an actual phono pre-amp to get the full sound.

If so do you guys have a recommended one? I will be listening on rather expensive headphones at my desk and not via a speaker system. (it is just how I have always listened to music.)

I am looking at this Pre-Amp from Rolls

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm running an AR turntable and Tascam reel to reel through a McIntosh tube amp

the sound is amazing

enjoy it

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Redstone,

Yes phono stages have the requisite RIAA "curve" to ensure faithful playback. That Rolls looks like it should suffice for what you're looking for with your vinyl system at this stage of the game.

If you use a line connection to your MP3 player you'll get the same skewed playback without RIAA equalization. The TT output needs to be processed by a phone stage first.

FWIW I use a TASCAM DR-05 digital recorder hooked to a second preamp output. The preamp has already processed the phonograph input through the phono stage and is sending the signal to power amplifiers for magnification sufficient to drive my speakers.

I take these digital recordings of my vinyl records and process them with VinylStudio software with the resulting file added to my ripped CDs on my desktop computer for playback through my computer audio system (outboard DAC and headphone amplifier) and headphones. I use foobar2000 software for the playback.

And there are basic turntables available with built in capability to provide digital output. I have no experience with any of the breed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

the sound is amazing

enjoy it

That Amp is amazing and very $$$$$$$$.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

the sound is amazing

Would this be the amp you're using? Or the newer MC275?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm using the 252 right now

I'd like to get a pair of 250's some day for my surround system

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first issue has reared its ugly head. The pin that holds the cartridge to the tonearm broke. I found a repair for it, so I need to get to work to repair it.

Dual uses a lever to lock the cartridge in place and the pin that holds the lever is plastic. I will be using either an aluminum screw and nut, a small steel machine screw, or a flathead screw with a steel nut. It should solve the issue forever once fixed. The Dual 1015 and 1015F has a metal cover that should hide the repair so it will not be noticable once done. I should be able to make up the weight difference by rebalancing the tonearm via the counterbalance adjustment.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Received my most recent vinyl today. While I’ve had a dvd of the Concert for George since it was released I’ve hunted for the multi-disk album and yippee it came.

Going to listen to it tonight. I know there were production issues between the cd and the dvd. Will be interested to see any differences with this.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
A few questions as well:

I have the MCS 6502. I just finished repairing the potentiometer and the record still plays out of tune. I can get it pretty closed to sync on the 33rpm 60hz ring, but they still crawl a bit (about 5 seconds to crawl out of view).

How do you tell if it is 33/50hz or 33/60hz?

Lastly, can this TT ever play solid or is this as good as it can get? Which leads me to, Should I keep messing with this turntable or should I just scrap it and start over with a new TT?

I actually suspect the motor. (it has a new belt) A sustained note will be solid, and then it bends out and back.

I need to pull the .mp3 capture of edit it with the digital recording so you guys can hear what I am talking about.

20210922_171615 by redstone71, on Flickr
20210922_171600 by redstone71, on Flickr

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned in my search for a turntable, some motors have lube in them. Does yours require lubrication? What type of it does? There are other lubrication points as well that may need to be addressed.

A service manual will tell you most of what you need to know. I found both instruction and service manuals for my Dual on the vinylengine. It's free to sign up so you can access the library. Worth a look.