SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    GOT a turntable, lots of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT a turntable, lots of questions Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
One thing I learned in my search for a turntable, some motors have lube in them. Does yours require lubrication? What type of it does? There are other lubrication points as well that may need to be addressed.

A service manual will tell you most of what you need to know. I found both instruction and service manuals for my Dual on the vinylengine. It's free to sign up so you can access the library. Worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestion, and This sounds strange. It wont let me register because of my IP (AT&T mobile). I have a ubifi modem, it is all us rural folks have out here. And since I do not have a VPN, I am humped.

It does appear they have my manual but I will have to look elsewhere.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3569 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I get home I may be able to download it and email it to you.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confused - both Mcintosh MC252 &, Mc250 are both solid state amps

Posts: 127 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
Confused - both Mcintosh MC252 &, Mc250 are both solid state amps

Nope... check your references. MC250 is a mono tube amp. nhtagmember was referring to his MA252 which is an integrated tube amplifier.

MC252 is indeed a stereo solid state amplifier.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
After I get home I may be able to download it and email it to you.

Nice!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Thanks it is very appreciated

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3569 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offense, but I believe you are mistaken.
MC250 was a stripped down version of the MC2505, looking similar to their tube amp offerings from the 60's The MC225, MC240, and MC275

Posts: 127 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the 2 Designates 2 channel, unlike MC30, MC40, and MC75

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
skeptic,

My apologies as I was confusing the MC 275 tube amp as a MC 250.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Redstone,

There appears to be a protection on their files so I can't send it to you. I can't even copy and paste anything. However, if you bear with me, I may have a solution.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speed adjustment (with pitch control knob)

Strobe dots are set on the rim of the turntable platter according to power-line frequency and the number of revolutions of the records. Make adjustment, referring to strobe-dot indication. Look at picture...which I don't have, but I'll describe it to you.

The picture shows the strobe-dots in four rows stacked on top of each other. The top 2 rows of dots are for 50 Hz, top being 45 rpm and 2nd for 33 1/3 rpm. The next 2 rows are for 60 Hz with the 3rd row from top for 45 rpm and the very bottom row for 33 1/3 rpm.

1. Place a record on the turntable mat
2. Set the speed select knob to the speed to be
adjusted.
3. Adjust the speed while playing a record. The strobe-illuminator/pilot lamp will be lit for illuminating the strobe dots.
4. While turning the pitch control knob either to "+" side or "-" side, adjust so that the strobe dots of the turntable platter look as if they were stationary. The state under which the strobe dots seem to be stationary represents the correct number of revolutions.

"+" direction increases speed while "-" direction decreases speed.

Note:
Strobe dot pattern
The strobe-illuminator/pilot lamp of this unit employs the commercially available power source.

The frequency of such power source, when actually measured, has a fluctuation of about 0.2%. As such a fluctuation of the power source affects the strobe illuminator, the strobe dot pattern also seems to fluctuate to a certain extent.
But the unit is not affected by these fluctuations of the power source, since a DC motor is employed. In other words, rotation of the platter will be constant, and the slight shifts in the movement of the dots simply reflect normal drift in the power-source frequency.

The precision frequency generator motor used in this unit does not need lubrication. It is designed to provide long maintenance-free service.

On a side note. This was distributed by J.C. Penny so maybe they can point you to a service center in your area. I know there have been many years between then and now, but it may be worth a shot. That is unless you want to look for another turntable instead.

Another thing to consider is cleaning the motor yourself and see if you can lubricate it too. I don't know what type of lubrication to use and if this is even possible. My theory is that it was put together, it can be taken apart again. It also isn't working so you can't break it any more than it already is.

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Thanks Petr I really appreciate your taking the time.

I took the potentiometer out and cleaned it with deox spray. Before if I even touched it the motor would just stop Wink

There appear to be two other pots as well that are used for finer adjustments so I will remove and clean them as well. and lube the motor as best I can. I dont suppose the deox spray can hurt at this point.

I will let you guys know the results. Thanks for all the help.

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
petr, I was able to download the service manual from vinyl engine. You have mail from McRick2112(at gmail). Email said it sent.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick thank you as I received your email. I downloaded that one and also the 1015F manual as I have the F model. The main difference between the standard 1015 and the 1015F are the speeds and the speed control on the F. The 1015 has four speeds while the F has three speeds and the pitch control. The downside is the F manual on vinylengine is in German. No sprechen sie deutsch though so I don't know if there are differences between the two models for servicing.

On another note, how were you able to send the file?

Thanks again.

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Ok, removing the motor and the smaller potentiometers and cleaning them with detox spray seems to have worked.

I can now set the speed dead on with no walking of the . . . 'squares' on the platter.

In all my years I have never even heard of Deox spray, much less used it. But dang it works Smile

Now, to learn how to clean my LP, and to upgrade the cartridge. That thing has to be 40.
thank you so much guys for your help. I am having tons of fun.

posted Hide Post
Awesome!!! Did you find a lubricant for the motor? I didn't find anything on what was used originally.

Bald1 or others may be able to help you in the record and needle cleaning. I'll be paying close attention to their advice as well.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

Now, to learn how to clean my LP, and to upgrade the cartridge. That thing has to be 40.
thank you so much guys for your help. I am having tons of fun.

There are as many schools of thought on taking care of vinyl cleanliness as stars in the sky. Well not really that many. Big Grin

I'll simply share what works for me.
I use the Disc Doctor Record Cleaning System for taking care of dirty poor playing vinyl. Much cheaper but more labor intensive than machines that will do this for you.
I routinely use a Nagaoka CL-152 Record Cleaner (as mentioned in an earlier post these have become insanely priced but there are similar products out there that won't break the bank), and either a Hunt EDA Mk6 Anti-Static Brush or AudioQuest Anti-Static Brush before playing a record (I have both and find them equally good). As an aside I have lots of other "stuff" like a Discwasher D3 system, etc. But I'm sharing what I find works best for me.

I keep the cartridge stylus clean (be very careful to only clean the needle with a cleaner movement directed towards the end of the cartridge in the tonearm from where the headshell meets the arm. Otherwise you could too easily damage the cantilever ruining things. Frown I use ExtremePhono stylus cleaner which is a jelly like substance that "pulls" debris away from the needle. Also a DIY cleaner made from a Mr Clean eraser sponge (do an online search... plenty of articles... really works well!).

Upgrading the cartridge is a personal choice much like speakers. There are two major types: moving magnet and moving coil. There is some discussion in this thread as well as a link to another thread entirely devoted to this subject. Me? I queue up in the moving coil camp although that usually requires an extra stage to amplify the very low output. I use a DIY SUT (step up transformer). And I admit to being Denon "fanboy" since 1983 when I acquired my first Denon MC cart. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
redstone,
See my posts on pages 1 and 3. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Thorens Mk125, belt drive. (German) Sum bitch must weight around 50 lbs. Slate bottom.

Bought used about 40 years ago. Hooked up but haven't used it in 10 years.

Ok, for now I have ordered a 1/2" conical cartridge. Audio technica also sells a eliptical stylus that I can swap out of that cartridge as well. I may order that in the future.

I ordered the cleaning kit you mentioned and these records definitely need to be cleaned. Some smell moldy and I have been getting track skips (there are no visible scratches) but plenty of fingerprints and dust and such. So every record will need to be cleaned (25 years in storage).

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Oh, and on a cool note. All three of my daughters (10, 19, and 21) are involved. They are wanting me to drive to the record store to look at used LP's and have visions of creating a music Youtube channel. Coolest thing I heard all week, "Dad, these are some cool records, where did you get them?"