SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    GOT a turntable, lots of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT a turntable, lots of questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QDiyEKQxDzm14tPr8

Here is some eye candy for y'all!

I'm not planning on going crazy with accessories just yet...

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Looking good! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It is like a piece of furniture and seems to have been treated well.

I have to figure out what stylus to get for it, get some brasso or some silver tarnish remover for the cartridge, and I need to get my room back to set everything up. That's another ordeal that should be rectified in a few months at the most. That will give me time to find a stylus and pick up more vinyl!!!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
some brasso or some silver tarnish remover for the cartridge

I hope you meant the headshell and not any part of the M91ED. And if so, you must be VERY careful not to damage the pins and contacts on the underside of the Dual shell. Frankly I'd only use some contact cleaner like DeOxit there. If you mean the top of the Dual headshell (as well as the arm if tarnished) I'd ask on vinylengine what folks recommend. My first instinct would be Flitz but again I don't know what the Dual parts are made of.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. That is what I meant and I would prefer the deoxit over brasso. Otherwise everything else is clean on it. Not even a scratch on the plexiglass.

posted Hide Post
And no one has mentioned the old Benjamin Miracord. I have two of them from the early seventies. German made. They were equivalent to high-end Duals of that time. Always liked mine a lot. Still in service, tho I don't play records often.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't heard of them or seen anything online either.

I'm still researching styli in order to replace the Hi Track that is on it now.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
amals,

Yeah I remember the old ELAC Miracords. The "golden years" of turntables saw a lot of companies with decent product.

petr,

Keep us posted on your M91ED stylus hunt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I will. I have some studying to do to decide which one I want.

posted Hide Post
I found a NOS Shure M91ED cart with the Hi Track stylus on Ebay. It sold for more than I wanted to spend, as I figured it would. There are some used ones there too, but I'm not taking that chance. So I am still looking at replacements and am about to flip a coin! Jeez there are a lot of choices. Nude, bonded, this one sounds great, this one skips, that one is obsolete, this one is too expensive, you get what you pay for. My head is spinning!!!

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at this one? .3x.7 mil Elliptical
https://www.turntableneedles.c...-761-DED_p_1390.html

http://www.edsstuff.org/docs/shure_m91ed.pdf

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I saw that but it must have been on a different site because I couldn't change the currency. It was stuck on Euros and wouldn't change. Thank you as that is basically what I was looking for.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw that but it must have been on a different site because I couldn't change the currency. It was stuck on Euros and wouldn't change. Thank you as that is basically what I was looking for.

I kinda figure for $43 it would be a safe bet. If monies were no object there are some very nice high end options out there (e.g. JICO SAS @ $249:
https://www.jico-stylus.com/ca...d/?add-to-cart=37299)
but, in my view, best reserved for mating with a high end modern TT and not an old vintage Dual. I'm sure many would disagree with me, but....

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I agree. I'm not looking to break the bank at first. As time goes on it may change but not right now. I'm looking mostly at the 60's/70's rock sound and this cartridge and stylus should do the trick. I'll test it on some Sinatra and big band albums as well. If I need to change the settings for the anti-skate, then so be it.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
petr,

Sounds like a plan! Big Grin I think you're going to really enjoy your excursion into the vinyl world!

Have you been following RIC.45's phono cartridge hunt in his thread in the Lounge?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I think so as well. I had a player way back and didn't appreciate it then. I was playing bass along with John Paul Jones while it was spinning. Now, much older, I still play bass but listen to music more for the music

posted Hide Post
I did see it today. Which brings up another point. 78's...

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did see it today. Which brings up another point. 78's...

LOL A whole other ball of wax which I'm happy to say I've managed to avoid. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Yeah. I'm not looking to open that can of worms.

posted Hide Post
So a quick update. I have been spinning this Dual for a little bit now. Man how I missed Led Zeppelin on vinyl!!!