SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    GOT a turntable, lots of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT a turntable, lots of questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
https://www.vinylengine.com/tu...ic.php?f=18&t=128026

This was just posted. You could try another set of cables.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.vinylengine.com/tu...ic.php?f=37&t=128016

Here is another thread that may help you locate a possible cause.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has a pair of ESL 57 speakers,

The best sound I ever heard from speakers was from a pair of ESL 57's at a hi-fi show in San Francisco early in the 60's. Nothing I've heard has come close. Of course, my hearing then was far better than it is now.

Last week we were looking through a storage unit we rent in northern Cal. There was my Dual turntable in a box; but I didn't even look at it. It will still be there when I get back.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Man I thought we had something there. I traced out the ground. the system is configured exactly how Dual says it should be. I experimented with several other grounding solutions as recommended on vinylengine but none of them helped.

Is it possible this is in the cartridge? I have not upgraded it. If I can find anyone that will work on it, I am going to have the tonearm rewired and a new head/cart/stylus installed.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Bald1 Thank you for the response. I figured as much. Everything is in good shape, just not sure how much I want to spend on it or just sell to someone who has the money, and life span, to get it going again and enjoy.

SJtill, The sound from this system was unbelievable. It was truly like sitting in front of the orchestra. My favorite memories in regards to this system were listening to Glenn Miller….

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Man I thought we had something there. I traced out the ground. the system is configured exactly how Dual says it should be. I experimented with several other grounding solutions as recommended on vinylengine but none of them helped.

Is it possible this is in the cartridge? I have not upgraded it. If I can find anyone that will work on it, I am going to have the tonearm rewired and a new head/cart/stylus installed.

The audio path on a turntable (at least a traditional one without a built-in phono preamp) is literally as simple as the wires from the cartridge going to some audio jacks.

Almost anything that can be wrong with the audio in a turntable can happen in the cartridge (even if it could also happen somewhere else).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I need to take the head apart and check the ohms through the wires in the tonearm to the mute switch. I am strongly suspecting the 'clip' in the head of the dual and / or the old cart. we will see.

the lightest touch on the side of the cart causes all kinds of noise and popping. I just tried this on my MCS and it is quiet as a mouse.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am taking a break from the Dual. Just doing my thing, grading papers and listening to some good music.

A little bit of zen.

miles_davis by redstone71, on Flickr

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
One last update:

My wife and I have decided to donate the MCS and the Dual to the repair guy down in Raleigh. I hope he can have at it and get them sorted out.

I purchased a audio-technica AT-LP5X Fully manual direct drive. I have run it the last few days and I am just loving it.

I really wanted to the Dual to work out but I tried everything. I hope the repair shop is able to get it fixed up and it can play again someday.

posted Hide Post
That's a bummer you couldn't figure it out. Sometimes we need to cut our losses and move on though. Hopefully you get many years of enjoyment out of your current set up.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
redstone,
Sorry about all this. Bets are the tonearm internal wiring was the problem. Some are easy to replace. Others are a royal PITA.
Kinda surprised you went with a new TT with a built in phone preamp. Any reasons why? Your picture above showed you had a modest external RIAA preamp already.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
redstone,
Sorry about all this. Bets are the tonearm internal wiring was the problem. Some are easy to replace. Others are a royal PITA.
Kinda surprised you went with a new TT with a built in phone preamp. Any reasons why? Your picture above showed you had a modest external RIAA preamp already.

Just last night I sat looking at my Dual sitting in the corner and it grieves me that I could not get it going. I am hoping the repair guy can fix it for me.

I chose the audio tech well, I kinda got frustrated. I wanted a direct drive and without the extras. But I just couldnt afford one. I still use my phono amp, and I am loving the sound.

Rega and Fluance and even project were contenders and I do 2nd guess the effect of the direct drive.

ah well. In 4-6 months maybe I get the Dual back and it is right as rain. maybe.

Now where did I put that Norah Jones LP . . .

posted Hide Post
I still need to repair my Dual. I haven't had the time to dedicate to the task. I did however manage to snag a David Lee Roth E.P. this weekend at Goodwill.

posted Hide Post
Well, almost a year and a half later... I got my Dual running again!! It wasn't entirely my fault though. Our daughter and grandkids moved back in with us and took over my rec room. I built a repair stand in the meantime for when the time came to fix it. The time finally came. I needed to replace the plastic pin that holds the cartridge/ sled in the tonearm. I had to drill a hole and put a flat head machine screw and nut in place of the pin that broke. First album was Steppenwolf and the next was Foghat. Oh those snaps and pops!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: petr,

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
petr--I'm glad the Dual is working again!
We're planning on renting a house up in Sacramento to be closer to the granddaughters; I'd love to set up a classic stereo system there.
For me that would be:
1. Dual turntable
2. Adcom preamp-tuner
3. Adcom power amp
4. Rogers LS3/5A speakers
5. Potentially adding Audio Engine subwoofer, also in storage

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you resurrected this old thread. I was looking for it the other day. Great information.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Kinda surprised you went with a new TT with a built in phone preamp. Any reasons why?
Your picture above showed you had a modest external RIAA preamp already.

Sorry to resurrect an old post but just a thought that I think there are some who just want to try vinyl, never grew up with it and don't understand the preamplification stage with RIAA equalization that happens vs other standard inputs.
That can lead to mismatches and distorted output.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My next question. I am looking for a new stylus to replace the Shure that I think is worn out/ missing. I heard good things about the Black Diamond nude stylus. Anyone have experience with this? Analogis nude elliptical made in Switzerland.