SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any (2005 Renewed Series) Doctor Who Fans Here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any (2005 Renewed Series) Doctor Who Fans Here? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I grew up watching the original series and Tom Baker will always be my favorite Doctor but I really got into the new series when it picked back up again in 2005 (after ceasing in 1989) and loved Christopher Eccleston and thought it was a real shame he only did one season. Matt Smith was also a good Doctor and gave me lots of vibes of the old Doctors like Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee.

I'm thinking about watching again from the start of the 2005 restart all the way to the end of Peter Capaldi but don't think I can go past that to the female Doctor that came after since it really seemed like it was starting to go off the rails with all the woke stuff. I never watched again after Capaldi and a friend who did keep going said it did get kind of preachy and heavy handed with woke.

Anyone else a fan?

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan! My husband watched it growing up, but I didn't.

I picked up with Eccleston and thought he did a great job. Tennant was by far my favorite. I finally warmed up to Matt Smith. I never liked Capaldi and won't watch Whittaker.

I'm looking forward to Tennant coming back for a brief time. I'll give the new guy (Ncuti Gatwa) a chance unless the writing is too woke to bear.

I've been thinking about re-watching the Eccleston and Tennant seasons. Allons-y!

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
There's a new guy? I stopped after whatever special episode(s?) Whittaker did.

Hers was the toughest version for me to enjoy, but it was the writing not the performer.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Where are these available to watch. Always been intrigued but have never given it a watch.

Saw this on a tshirt recently & got a chuckle

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
There's a new guy? I stopped after whatever special episode(s?) Whittaker did.

Hers was the toughest version for me to enjoy, but it was the writing not the performer.

Yes, you see a glimpse of him at the very end of this teaser trailer:

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Here!

My kids and I quit halfway through Capaldi's run. We still go back and watch Eccelston, Tenant and Smith episodes.

Waiting for Tenant's return special then we will probably quit again.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8029 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I'm a big sci fi nerd/fan, but never watched Doctor Who. Finally, I tuned in to watch an episode on BBC. It was Season 8 (Capaldi's first), Ep 2 (Into the Dalek). I was hooked from the beginning. I went back and watched the entire series up to the present (this would be around Season 9). I like Ecclesson, and of course Tennant is my favorite Doctor. I really like Capaldi, even though many at the time on different discussion forums didn't seem to like him all that much.

I did notice the quality of the show went downward badly starting with Season 9. There is a meme somewhere - "Doctor Who used time travel to the past to teach history and into the future to teach about the possibilities of technology - now, all it teaches is life sucks and everybody you love dies."

Season 8 is still good, but only a handful of episodes 9/10 are watchable. I tried to watch Whitaker. She is a good actor, and a fine character. However, the stories still suck (IMO). It's all dark and depressing. This trend started with Smith, IIRC. Some of his episodes are done in a horror genre. I don't like dark and depressing. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yep. Like it very much. I even liked Jodi Whittaker’s PORTRAYAL of the Doctor. The writing, was horrendous woke, crap however.

I grew up with Baker but I think Eccleston was my fav. Doctor.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7695 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:

I've been thinking about re-watching the Eccleston and Tennant seasons. Allons-y!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm a long time Whovian and enjoyed everything up to Whitaker

Could not find any redeeming qualities in that arc

of course with the show runner leaving and a new person at the helm things were bound to be different

It took me awhile to warm up to Capaldi but in the end I enjoyed his portrayal quite a bit

favorite is a tossup between Tennant and Smith

Posts: 53228 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I'm a long time Whovian and enjoyed everything up to Whitaker

favorite is a tossup between Tennant and Smith
^^^^ This. However, Tennant's been my fav. Wished Eccleston had done more.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Checked all the services we're subscribed to:
Hulu, Prime, Netflix, YTTV, Disney

Not available on any of them, apart from PPV on Prime...

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
I picked up with Eccleston and thought he did a great job. Tennant was by far my favorite. I finally warmed up to Matt Smith. I never liked Capaldi and won't watch Whittaker.

This is basically my take on it all too.
I started back in... 2005(?) with Eccleston and stayed with it watching every week up to and including Capaldi.
I didn't hate the Capaldi ones... but I didn't love them either.
(Fun fact - Capaldi was in one of the earlier episodes as a side character)

I tried a couple with Whittaker... but the writing was complete garbage so I quit.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

BritBox is what you want

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

BritBox is what you want

I looked there too, without an account & it only showed Classic DW, didn't see any of the 05+ seasons.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Of all the episodes ever made of any Doctor Who episode, I think this is my favorite one by far. When they went to visit Vincent Van Gogh:

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Tom Baker was of course the best Doctor by far, but most of the "renewed" ones were good once you got used to them. I never got to like Capaldi, but he was at least watchable. I watched, I think, 2 episodes of Whittaker but just couldn't stomach the woke bullshit so I bailed out at that point.

If they're still using the same writers for the new guy, I'd expect more of the same wokeness. If not, I'd be willing to try out the new guy, but I'm not sure where it's being carried. I've seen classic doctors on Britbox, and (IIRC) the newer ones on BBC America but those may have been delayed by months from the original air dates, not sure. Tennant and Eccleston have been my favorites of the later doctors.

I did notice a series on Amazon Prime just this week called "Secret Diary of a Call Girl", or something like that, that stars Billie Piper. I haven't watched it but I'm tempted. I always liked Rose Tyler.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
favorite Tennant episode for me was The Girl in the Fireplace broadcast in 2006

Posts: 53228 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post