SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Get Out (movie)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Out (movie) Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
Watched it on DVD this week; really a very good movie. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards, won Best Original Screenplay. The lead actor, Daniel Kaluuya, was nominated for best actor. Original screenplay/story is by Jordan Peele, the comedian. Movie was filmed in Fairhope, AL with some scenes filmed in historic Mobile, AL. This is a horror film, not too scary and no monsters. I did not include links, because any synopsis will ruin it for viewing; the story is unique. No spoilers, please.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This movie was absolutely awful. Good grief.

The "whitey is the devil" undertones were so overwhelming I actually found it laughable.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I agree with Balzé.

It was so over the top with cheesy white guilt that it became distracting, and was so "popular" that you almost felt like you'd be called racist for not liking it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12303 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
It's not "whitey is the bad guy", it's liberal whites are the bad guys. "I voted for Obama twice".

Liberals using blacks for their own purposes makes it a much better (and more accurate) watch.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Peele needed to replace all the white characters with himself in different costumes and makeup. Projection writ large.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8307 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I was watching it and sort of figured it out very early on, kept waiting for the moment that all my illusions were shattered, then I would find the greatest and most profound reversal plot twist and I would not sleep for days from the shear irony. And then it was over, credits rolled, and a sat and drooled for about 10 minutes, having my IQ lowered to middle 2 digits.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43801 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It was a bit “meh”. I would not have paid money to see it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17243 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The white characters stereotyping of the black characters was so over the top that surely you understood it was satire. And the whites jealousy of the blacks alleged sexual prowess was hilariously stereotypical. We all laughed at the same jokes in "Blazing Saddles".

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The scene near the end with the girl sitting on her bed in her room with a glass of milk prominently displayed in her hand actually made me laugh out loud. Just so obvious.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a trolling thread? I seriously ask because if you are comparing the satire in Blazing Saddles to this film you are reaching. That is the nice way to put it.

Peele is a gifted guy. He also is one of those guys who can't separate his talent from his politics. Some talents are so huge that this failure can sometimes be overlooked. Peele ain't that kind of talent. Go watch his remake of the Twilight Zone. 3 episodes in and I think he has killed his own project.

I also agree with most above. If we all figured out that this was a racist Stepford Wives in the first 15 minutes it wasn't that great of a movie.

Glad you liked it though.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
The white characters stereotyping of the black characters was so over the top that surely you understood it was satire. And the whites jealousy of the blacks alleged sexual prowess was hilariously stereotypical. We all laughed at the same jokes in "Blazing Saddles".

Blazing Saddles? Seriously?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for saving me the time from watching it! I will stick to recent movies like Herditary, Don't Breathe, and A Quite Place for horror. Bird Box did not impress me much.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
This is a horror film, not too scary and no monsters.

I generally enjoyed Get Out, but I didn't love it as many others. I think the problem was that I was raised on '70s-'80s exploitation/horror/drive-in B-movies. Get Out does an excellent job in the first half with its suspenseful set-up, but I wanted the second half to go all out harsh exploitation revenge film with the reveal. As such, the climax ends up being a little too tepid and restrained, hence the film's mainstream appeal. I wanted something a little more visceral and a little less crowd-pleasing. I wish it WAS more intense and "too scary"! Of course, I say this about basically all modern films. (*COUGH*)-Marvel movies...

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
A piece of shit IMHO.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Peele ain't that kind of talent. Go watch his remake of the Twilight Zone. 3 episodes in and I think he has killed his own project.

Aww. I had high hopes for that. The reviews are all over the place though, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Posts: 121 | Location: Huntingtonbeach, CA :( , USA | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could sit through the airplane episode. Number 2. The first one was awful. Even my wife commented on how bad it was. The second one was the classic good setup, good acting, keep waiting for it to get good but it never happened. A flimsy shadow of 5hr real Twilight Zone. Don’t get excited about this one, it will disappoint.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was not an Oscar film. They nominated it for sjw reasons. I thought the film was very much hype and I watch hundreds of films per year. They should rename it Get The Fuck Outta here because it was stupid. Poor film imo.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12564 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post