SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone like Vegemite?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone like Vegemite? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
After years of being curious, I ordered a bottle of Vegemite from Amazon.

I made some toast, buttered it up and spread a little Vegemite on it. You use less Vegemite than butter.

I can see the appeal. It is VERY strongly flavored. It is salty and very savory and umami.

I don't think I will love it the way an Australian who has eaten in from birth loves it, but it is good. People like it on avocado toast, and I can see that.

Live and learn.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
After years of being curious, I ordered a bottle of Vegemite from Amazon.

Did it ship from a slightly confused, well built guy from Belgium?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The closest I've ever come to Vegemite is a song by Men at Work.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's okay, but definitely in small amounts.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
I enjoy it on toast.

However, it's even better when you add it to beef stews and soups.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6082 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Did it ship from a slightly confused, well built guy from Belgium?

Six foot four and full of muscle.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
I enjoy it on toast.

That makes complete sense - it would punch up any savory, meaty dish.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I prefer

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
I enjoy it on toast.

THIS

I use it mainly to punch-up my Bolognese Sauce. Anchovies, chicken livers, marmite/vegimite, fish sauce and soy sauce, all are umami bombs you can use to pump-up your dish and give some depth.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
What timing! I had Vegemite on my toast for the first time in a year or so today. A friend brought some from Australia last time she visited, and every once in a while I get the urge...

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife likes Marmite. I suppose I should try it some time, rather than going to my grave believing it's hideous just because "people say..."

If that doesn't kill me, maybe I'll give vegemite a go someday.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Many years ago my ex and I were on a snorkeling tour boat on the Great Barrier Reef. They had snacks on deck and I grabbed a roll and spread on what I thought was some kind of chocolate sauce. Seemed odd, but whatever. You can imagine my salty surprise!!! Blech! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
This?

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd have some of that.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Tried it once in the Red Center at the base of Kata-Tjuta. I figure if I was going to like it, I would like it there.

I didn’t.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can keep your fermented mold Frown

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Never tried it or Marmite. I'd try them both, though. I've added anchovy paste to stews and sauces for the flavor, but neither of these.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My wife likes Marmite.
Sure, they're cute.

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I have a bottle I got for my birthday. I used it exactly one time.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Australia, where the vegemite sandwich is a staple. Buttered bread, with the vegemite spread on the butter. I didn't like it then, don't like it now. Marmite, either.

It's an acquired taste that I never acquired.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post