SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    MotoGP 2024 Season
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2024 Season Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just renewed my MotoGP subscription! Big Grin

One more week guys!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Ducati already signed Bags for 2025/2026. First rider taken off the market as musical chairs this year will be huge. Ducati will probably leave the Beast/Martin debate for later in the year to see who gets the other factory Ducati seat for next year. Actually it will be a Beast/Martin/Marquez debate as Marc is the outlier.

Everyone is talking about the Rat for this year. Preseason he was real close to the leaders of each session/day, beating his Factory KTM teammate, Jack Miller in the process, with a surprising list of tenured riders behind him, in his wake. If KTM improved the bike over the winter, and they were not that far behind Ducati, then Aprilia, Acosta will be on the podium a lot this year and will win a race. Generational talent. 2024 will be the year the Rat came.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.the-race.com/motog...ng-linked-to-motogp/

quote:
Reports have emerged in the Spanish press this week suggesting Formula 1 owner Liberty Media is looking to diversify its motorsport presence by trying to buy a controlling stake in MotoGP promoter Dorna.

As first reported in Spanish business and economics publication Expansion, Liberty is said to be in secret talks over a takeover of Dorna.

At face value, that doesn't come as a big surprise. There's been open speculation for some time that Dorna has been quietly placed on the market by current owner Bridgepoint Capital, while Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta hasn’t exactly been silent on the prospect of a sale in the coming months.

"The signs are always there," Ezpeleta told Italian newspaper Repubblica when asked about the prospect of a sale in December. "I confirm the rumours, but I would like to know who is spreading them.

Also because every day I receive two or three phone calls from credit institutions: they ask me if it is true that we are for sale. But the banks don't want to buy, no: they present themselves as intermediaries in the operation.

"I can only say one thing: we are ready."

There are other hints about the way that the business has quietly restructured financially in recent years that also suggests Bridgepoint has been preparing for a sale. The company has taken on substantial debt in the form of loans to pay out dividends to the currency owners - a standard business tactic ahead of a potential sale.

It’s also backed up by an industry opinion that says MotoGP is something of an undervalued property, especially compared to the way in which Liberty has turned F1 into a massively profitable venture in the years since its takeover, which has included an aggressive expansion strategy and the huge success of Netflix documentary Drive to Survive.

Dorna is currently 39% owned by investment fund Bridgepoint, with Canadian public pension fund CPPIB owning a further 31% (sold to it by Bridgepoint in 2012) and the Ezpeleta family the majority owners of a further 20% of the business held by a collection of current and former employees.

But given the very manner in which Bridgepoint acquired Dorna in 2006 - in a sale forced through by the EU’s competition regulator - it seems unlikely that the rumours of Liberty’s involvement stand to be anything substantially more than a sales tactic right now.

The controlling share of Dorna has been owned by Bridgepoint since then, when previous owner CVC Capital Investment was forced to sell it by the EU’s competition commissioner. That was part of the process for receiving approval for its efforts to buy the 71% stake in Formula 1 that CVC would go on to sell to Liberty in 2016.

"When the two most popular motorsport events in the EU, Formula 1 and MotoGP, come in the hands of one owner, there is a risk of price increases for the TV rights to these events and a reduction in consumer choice," competition commissioner Neelie Kroes said at the time.

"I am satisfied that the commitments given by CVC [to sell their share of Dorna] will eliminate this risk."

It’s hard to see how that position has substantially changed in the intervening years, however, especially as MotoGP and F1 have grown closer together, particularly in terms of partnerships, broadcasters and host circuits.

That doesn’t mean that there’s no smoke without fire, however. And if a sale in the coming months is being eyed up, it’s in the best interests of MotoGP’s current owners to see conversations about a potential sale being floated in the business pages as a form of soft advertising.

And, perhaps ironically, while Liberty is unlikely to be allowed to step in to take over at Dorna, there could nonetheless be familiar faces involved in any potential sale, with former owner CVC hinting around the time that it sold F1 that it was keen to retain a foothold in motorsport.

At the time that didn't involve making any inroads into a MotoGP return, but should Dorna be placed more formally on the market in the coming months CVC seems likely to be one of the parties looking closely at the series' possibilities.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/n...ts-us-tv-broadcaster

quote:
​​​​​​​MotoGP is reportedly set to switch to a new TV broadcaster in the United States.

The motorsport series is in “advanced talks” with Warner Bros Discovery to move onto their channel this year, Sports Business Journal reports.

The move is an attempt from MotoGP to “look for growth in America”.

MotoGP has been broadcast in the US by NBC since 2020 but the report claims that their partnership has expired.

The deal in negotiations with Warner Bros Discovery would mean all Saturday sprint races and Sunday grands prix would be live on linear cable TV.

Warner Bros Discovery own TNT, TBS and TruTV.

Warner Bros Discovery and MotoGP are already TV broadcast partners in other territories including the UK.

TNT Sports, owned by Warner Bros Discovery, broadcast MotoGP to the UK audience.

MotoGP also held talks in the past few weeks with Fox, the report states.

Fox is separately in talks to pick up broadcast rights in the US to IndyCar from 2025.

MotoGP’s switch in TV partner stateside is an “effort to gain a greater foothold in the US”.

But it comes at a time where Bridgepoint - the majority shareholder in MotoGP rights holder Dorna - are in talks over a sale.

Sky News report that Bridgepoint are seeking £3.4 billion and a sale could be agreed “within weeks”.
​​​​​​​
Liberty Media, the owners of Formula 1, are among the parties in talks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
MAX (HBO app) will air the MotoGP races this year. That’s already done.

First Press Conference for the season is tomorrow. Followed by the first practice session of a race weekend on Friday morning in Qatar.

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be opposed to an F1/GP combined service.
F1TV has been great so far, couldn't justify the extra $ to get GP as well. Nearly double over what F1TV cost.
At $140 for the '24 season, compared to the <$80 F1TV cost me this year.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
GP Coverage movgin from NBC to truTV

quote:

The new MotoGP season begins this weekend with the Qatar Grand Prix, as Ducati's Francesco Bagnaia embarks on a campaign to defend his title for a second time.

America is a major market for MotoGP promoter Dorna Sports, with it welcoming former NBA chief Dan Rossomondo as chief commercial officer last year.

In 2024, MotoGP will also feature an American-owned team on the grid, with Trackhouse Racing expanding its NASCAR operation to compete as Aprilia's satellite squad with Miguel Oliveira.

As MotoGP pushes to gain a further foothold in the United States, it announced on Thursday afternoon that it has partnered with TNT Sports – part of Warner Bros Discovery - to broadcast the entire 2024 season across the country.

In a statement released by MotoGP, it says "truTV and Max's B/R Sports Add-On will show every race of this record-breaking MotoGP season live, including top quality pre-race coverage.

"Max's B/R Sports Add-On will also stream every session for every grand prix class across all three days of track activity, including the MotoGP qualifying shootout and the grand prix races for Moto2 and Moto3."

Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
GP Coverage movgin from NBC to truTV

quote:

The new MotoGP season begins this weekend with the Qatar Grand Prix, as Ducati's Francesco Bagnaia embarks on a campaign to defend his title for a second time.

America is a major market for MotoGP promoter Dorna Sports, with it welcoming former NBA chief Dan Rossomondo as chief commercial officer last year.

In 2024, MotoGP will also feature an American-owned team on the grid, with Trackhouse Racing expanding its NASCAR operation to compete as Aprilia's satellite squad with Miguel Oliveira.

As MotoGP pushes to gain a further foothold in the United States, it announced on Thursday afternoon that it has partnered with TNT Sports – part of Warner Bros Discovery - to broadcast the entire 2024 season across the country.

In a statement released by MotoGP, it says "truTV and Max's B/R Sports Add-On will show every race of this record-breaking MotoGP season live, including top quality pre-race coverage.

"Max's B/R Sports Add-On will also stream every session for every grand prix class across all three days of track activity, including the MotoGP qualifying shootout and the grand prix races for Moto2 and Moto3."

Anyone know if they will show replays on Max?

Posts: 479 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That sprint race was EXCELLENT!!!!

Aprilia and KTM seem to have made a good step forward. Yeah, it is only one race and a sprint at that but they look like they can potentially take the fight to Ducati this season!

This is looking like it could be a very fun season! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Solid race today. Gonna be a tight season of racing if they keep this up

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:

Checked this for you today. Answer is yes. Over the weekend I watched both pre-event press conferences, all practice, qualifying, and sprint race on the MotoGP.com app. But I watched the race on Max. The MotoGP.com feed has way better picture quality but the Max app, the coverage is “TNT” but it’s Gavin Emmett and Neil Hodgson doing all the commentating instead of Matt Birt on MotoGp.com. Gavin is great and used to be Nick Harris’s colorman on MotoGP.com. So on the Max app at least you’ve got solid commentators that know the sport. But I did check for replays and every practice session was there, qualifying, sprint, and race. Don’t know how long each will stay up for but they are all there. Surprising as I just thought it would be the races only. Good to see you can watch all the qualifying and practice sessions as well on Max. Dorna wants that American $, bad. Pretty obvious with “Trackhouse” racing getting the Aprilia satellite squad. Now all we need is a genuine American threat for a rider who can win. It’s been quite a while. Ben Spies took the last American rider victory in MotoGp, in Assen. And that was over 10 years ago.

Sprint Race and Real Race, were sold almost from the first few corners. Martin checking out on the Sprint, and Bags checking out on the real race. Great to watch the bikes at night, but not a lot of action seeing that they are still figuring the bikes out as few days (5) were allotted for preseason testing. Hopefully we will get some more exciting races in the rounds to come. Both podiums were the usual suspects and mirrored 2023.

The rat is here. Acosta’s showing in both the Sprint and the Race, should be a warning shot to the entire field. Marc Marquez will move up, to the point end, and Acosta is coming as well. Given that Acosta is on the KTM, his showing this weekend was incredible for a rookie. He put a hard pass on Marquez and that was it for me. This kid will be the story of the year no matter who wins the championship.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Before he burned his tires up Acosta was fun to watch. When he figures out tire management on his new bike the rest of the field better look out! Big Grin

I don’t know what happened to Aleix! To have such a good pace prior to race day and just drop down positions like that was quite disappointing. I had higher expectations for Aprilia’s factory riders. Tough day all around for Aprilia fans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Checked this for you today. Answer is yes.

Thank you very much! It was great to watch Moto GP again without having to buy the seasonpass. My son is now hooked on F1 and Moto GP. Good times. As a long time Ducati fan from the pre Stoner era it is good to see the Duc's back on top. Have not seen the past couple season's but still kept up by reading the news.

Posts: 479 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you very much! It was great to watch Moto GP again without having to buy the seasonpass. My son is now hooked on F1 and Moto GP. Good times. As a long time Ducati fan from the pre Stoner era it is good to see the Duc's back on top. Have not seen the past couple season's but still kept up by reading the news.

I remember. Loris Capirossi was Ducati’s main rider for years on the 4 stroke when they entered Grand Prix. Every year his wife Ingrid would show up and I’d get a picture with her each day of the race weekend. Good times.

The season pass is still worth it to me because of the picture quality. Much better than Max. But Max has great commentators. https://www.crash.net/motogp/n...rm-lineup-presenters

“TNT” is basically a rebranded BT sports which airs all the races in England, as well as WSBK and British Superbike.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Incredible Sprint race today. They kept airing and re-airing Jack’s jump, but all of the bikes were popping wheelies consistently. Portimao is an outstanding track. It’s good because it is not a Tilke track. Ricardo Pina deserves an award. Great racing today and congrats to Maverick for his first Aprilia win. Without Maverick’s effort, it would have been a Ducati lockout on the podium.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The rollercoaster lived up to its nickname. What a rollercoaster of emotions today!!!!

I was gutted to see that last lap technical failure but Maverick seems to be taking it well. He is smiling again and his confidence in the Aprilia and its potential seems sky high. This bodes very well for Maverick and Aprilia going forward. Aprilia’s aero is on point! Their bike was planted on this insane track.

It is exquisite to see the Beast on podium!

Pedro Acosta….holy shit man! Welcome to MotoGP!!! The kid is FAST and fearless. He is so much fun to watch push his bike to the ABSOLUTE LIMIT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The rat is here. That pass on Pecco, wow. Acosta made the race for me as the podium was decided from the very beginning of the race, so in that sense, boring AF. But Acosta’s riding and willingness to engage anybody and everybody, no matter their prestige or status, is astonishing.

Maverick’s issue at the end of the race was the gearbox. He was having problems with it the entire race. It wouldn’t engage 6th on the straight. He was fighting with it the entire race. Not only would it not go into 6th on the last lap, it wouldn’t go into any gear, so he kicked his leg out to indicate to the 2 riders behind him, that he had a problem. He finally got it into neutral, then he tried to get it into gear, it lodged into 2nd, hit the limiter and spit him off. Damn shame, he was all set for a 2nd place to go with first in the sprint yesterday.

Marquez being Marquez. After the race he blamed Pecco for that bullshit. Fuck I can’t stand Marc. He tried a very overly ambitious pass and couldn’t pull it off. Obvious, because he went way wide after. Where is Pecco supposed to go? Mash the brakes and just pull over like Marc is an ambulance behind you? Pecco appropriately dove under as Marc went wide then Marc pushed it again trying to defend the overtake, and bam, shenanigans. Ultimately, decided a race incident but that bullshit is on Marc. You should read Marc’s comments. He said, in interview, towards Pecco, that it wasn’t worth 2 points. But wait a minute, you tried a way ambitious pass on Bags, that you couldn’t pull off and went wide. That was worth it but Pecco pulling to the inside to avoid you going wide, etc wasn’t? Marc you’re a hypocrite fuck. Every time you pull this shit you blame the other rider. Nothing new to see here. You’re still the biggest ass hole in the paddock and the biggest ass hole on a race track I have ever seen.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://racer.com/2024/04/01/f...p-commercial-rights/

quote:

Liberty Media has reached an agreement to take over the commercial rights to the MotoGP series, adding it to its ownership of Formula 1 within its racing portfolio.

The global motorcycle racing series is promoted by Dorna Sports, S.L. (Dorna), with Liberty acquiring the commercial rights holder from Bridgepoint and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. The deal represents enterprise value of $4.5billion (€4.2bn), as Liberty will acquire 86 percent of MotoGP, with MotoGP management retaining approximately 14 percent. The deal will see MotoGP added to Liberty’s Formula One Group tracking stock.

Existing Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta will continue to run the business from its Madrid headquarters, with Liberty Media president and CEO Greg Maffei saying he sees “significant upside” to the deal.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Lets see how expensive season passes and race tickets are now…

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Grid Girls future seems to be safe on the short term… Big Grin

Carmelo Ezpeleta, the CEO of Dorna, was quizzed about the future of ‘grid girls’.

“I think it’s a matter of freedom,” he told GPOne.

“We can’t tell anyone that they can’t be there.

“Banning umbrella girls I think would be a gesture against women, not in their favour.”

I don’t like F1’s closest rival being purchased by F1’s investment group so in my pessimistic view this will not be a good thing long term. F1 is right now not nearly as good as the F1 I grew up watching as a kid in the 1990’s. It’s boring.

But maybe I’ll be proven wrong. I’d actually love to see that happen. Simply growing a sport’s viewership doesn’t actually mean the sport is improving or any better than it was before. This is important to remember.

Love em or hate them the Spanish Mafia has given us some very good racing fairly consistently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~