SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    MotoGP 2024 Season
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2024 Season Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
First day of testing for the new season is in the books. Of note that Aleix Espargaro left early due to complications for his leg injury. Pecco, the MotoGP champion of 2022/2023, left after the morning session.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/r...icardo-tormo-results

Vinales set the fastest time. Marc Marquez was fast on the Ducati, immediately from his first session on it this morning. Everyone needs to look out for the rat. He’s the youngest Moto2 champion in history, also having won the Moto3 championship prior. He takes that youngest title ever from Marc Marquez.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12798 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Reposting this from the tail of the '23 Thread

https://www.the-race.com/motog...g-concession-system/

quote:

MotoGP has unveiled a complicated new four-tier concession system that will take effect in 2024, after a concerted push to help the premier class's struggling manufacturers - namely Honda and Yamaha.

The two Japanese firms both accrued less than 200 points in the constructors' standings (in which every marque scores points on the basis of the tally brought in by its highest-scoring rider at each round) this year, while the dominant Ducati squad took home precisely 700.

It was known for a while that series promoter Dorna was trying to figure out a pathway to create competitive breaks for the two firms, and that, requiring unanimous approval, it would be able to get the European manufacturers - Ducati, KTM and Aprilia - to agree to measures in some capacity, despite the latter two firms' vocal opposition.

A much simpler factory concession system had already been in place in MotoGP, based on podiums scored over a two-year period, but none of the manufacturers qualified.

Fabio Quartararo was a title contender for Yamaha in 2022 and still recorded three grand prix podiums in 2023 despite a massive year-on-year decline, while Honda went as far as to win at COTA with 'one-year rental' Alex Rins.

The new system - which has four tiers rather than just having on/off concession status - is built on how many points a factory has scored in the manufacturers' championship relative to the total amount of points available.

In 2023, this was 728 points - it should've been 740 but for the cancellation of the sprint race at Phillip Island.
CONCESSION SYSTEM RANKS
A (Ducati): 85% or more of total points available
B: Between 60% and 85% of total points available
C (KTM, Aprilia): Between 35% and 60% of total points available
D (Yamaha, Honda): Fewer than 35% of the total points available

Ducati's 700-point tally means it is over 80 points clear of the threshold for A rank, and its dominance in 2023 was such that none of the other brands qualify for B rank.

A-rank status means Ducati will have a significantly reduced test tyre allocation in 2024 (85 tyre sets, 15 fewer than currently available, as opposed to 130 for D-rank) and zero wildcards allowed.

Ducati has made frequent use of wildcards with test rider Michele Pirro.

B-rank will have three wildcards available, while the remaining two - covering all four non-Ducati participants as it stands - will have six wildcard outings at their disposal.

But there are crucial differences between the concession status that will be enjoyed by Aprilia/KTM under the current points distribution and the one for Yamaha/Honda.

As D-rank manufacturers, they will be allowed to test at any circuit on the calendar - rather than a maximum of three that is required to be nominated - with their full-time riders rather than the testers.

They will also not be subject to a start-of-season freeze in engine spec, and will have an extra aero update available to them during the season in addition to the single one currently allowed - although they will have to "discard a previous aero specification" in doing so.

KTM and Aprilia are thus still bound by the engine spec freeze, but their wildcards will be permitted to run engines of a different spec.

Crucially, the concession calculations will not be a year-on-year matter but will take place in half-year increments.

In the 2024 summer break, ranks will be re-assessed as per the points accrued from the end of the 2023 summer break till then.

The new system is clearly intended to counter Ducati's current advantage of having four teams and eight riders on the grid, as its data-sharing policy means they are able to indirectly divide duties in terms of weekend preparation during the current reduced-practice sprint format much more effectively than all the other brands' riders.

The four-tier system, meanwhile, appears to have been a way to placate KTM and Aprilia, who had been fairly vocal in feeling Honda and Yamaha were too competitive to enjoy concessions.

Though the new system is in place from the 2024 season onwards, it effectively kicks in right away - as MotoGP's 2024 season (and the calculations of test days within it) officially begins with Tuesday's collective test at Valencia

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15749 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Read that yesterday. Never thought I’d see the day where HRC needs concessions, as well as Yamaha.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With how many Ducatis are on the grid & how the Hondas had a propensity to eject their riders, not too surprised they're in the low group.

Then Yamaha one having 2 to put any points on the board...Though FM did finish every race & was only out of the points 3 times & FQ only DNF 1 race

Both Yamaha & Honda <200 points, with KTM & Aprilia >300 but not enough for a B tier.

Posts: 15749 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Read that yesterday. Never thought I’d see the day where HRC needs concessions, as well as Yamaha.

It’s almost like the Japanese manufacturers are biding their time for a major rule change or just don’t feel like investing hard right now. Honda’s and Yamaha’s “improvements” have been about as effective as Suzuki’s when it was rumored that (the corporate faggotry aka) the brass had already basically pulled the plug on their race program. It just looks weak and like their full effort is not being put into it.

Yamaha and Honda are powerhouses. They both look like hollowed out shells of their former selves. Sure Marquez or Rins can occasionally manage a good finish but for the most part they are all struggling for results.

Maybe they are in a bad slump or maybe they are investing in the engines MotoGP will require after 2027 that are more in line with the whole “sustainable fuels” bullshit PC mindthink that killed the two stroke era. It’s a puzzling situation for sure.

My take is fuck dorna. Bring back the two strokes. People still race horses. Why the fuck not inline 500cc two strokes? (Because they are PC pussies) that’s why.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21195 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yamaha invests probably half of what HRC does. Ducati has deep pockets due to VAG. When they got bought by VAG everything changed with them in terms of $. HRC is NASA.

HRC has the $. They went wrong by doing what Marc Marquez says. One he can’t develop a bike. This is why they are in the shit. This is also why he went to Ducati team that will have an older bike. He gets to come in and use all the development from 8 riders instead of doing it himself. Then the 2nd major mistake HRC made was giving into Marc’s demands. Marc insisted they fire a bunch of HRC engineers and use his people instead. You can find the quote from Jack Miller, this past season, about this. He said something to the effect of hey if you get all these guys fired and put your people in their positions, and it gets fucked, deal with it.

Yamaha, they have always done this man. They invest then they don’t, and it goes on years. Cheap asses just don’t want to spend the money. This is why Valentino couldn’t do much on that bike the last part of his career, or the last couple of years. The entire design of the bike was based around Lorenzo, which ironically, is extremely similar to Fabio’s riding style. So they went with that. Any time a mfr wraps development around one riding style, they are fucked. Far cry from Vale was in charge. He’d develop the bike and everyone on it would get faster. To the point when he was with Honda, he would purposely ride around problems, because he could. In his prime he was unstoppable. Burgess would have to tell him, stop doing that, we have to fix the bike for Honda. Vale didn’t want to give his setup and fixes for other people to use against him. But anyway, Yamaha has not been the same since Masao Furusawa was in charge for the M1.

Gigi, is just literally kicking all their asses to the curb. Engine, aero, innovation, everything. And desmo valves use less fuel per meter than the pneumatic valves in the Japanese bikes.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
Like him or not, some impressive saves

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Luca Marini had one this year, that was equal or better than any save Marc has ever done. Luca just got hit, and went down anyway, due to another bike hitting him. He dug his elbow in, on a left, and sparks were flying this season. It was a spectacular save but due to getting hit, didn’t get the hype.

Marc, benefitting from all the Ducati dev that came before him. He’ll be a threat on that thing from the first race next year. I foresee Ducati running into a real issue pissing off Pecco, Jorge, or both. Marc is going to be a threat for next year, and push for a factory bike in 2025, and Ducati will have to sort out their mess of riders. It’s an embarrassment of riches to the likes I have never seen before with any other mfr.

Then there is the Rat. Rat don’t give a fuck about Marquez or anything else. Bend it like Bender is a real talent but Acosta is a generational talent, even besting Marquez’s timelines in the lower championships. I guess since he looks like a damn Rat, it’s all the better for him wanting to be the best rider because he certainly isn’t getting any model jobs Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P250UA5,

This is what I see in this thread when I look at your post. When I try to click the link, having an account with the Dorna jackboots it doesn’t link to anything.

No one is better at killing enthusiasm for their sport quite as effectively as the Spanish Mafia assholes at Dorna.

How dare we enjoy this sport or share it with friends without paying up to the Spanish mafia. Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21195 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
You should be able to click the view on YouTube link.
Dorna [like F1] block video replay via embed, have to view directly in YT.
Not sure if that has something to do with YT view revenue, embed vs YT views.

Edit: Clicked the link in the center of the embed box & it went right to the video for me.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Trackhouse Racing takes over RNF Team

quote:

Did you hear? 2024 will see a new team land in MotoGP™: Trackhouse Racing. Trackhouse have already enjoyed impressive success in the NASCAR Cup series, and now the American team will take their racing ambition onto two wheels as they join MotoGP™ as an Independent Team, partnered with Aprilia to run their RS-GP MotoGP™ prototypes.

That special announcement we teased? It’s this! The presentation of the whole new team was made in Milan on Tuesday, with Trackhouse founder and owner Justin Marks joined on stage by Aprilia Racing CEO Massimo Rivola, Dorna Sports Chief Sporting Officer Carlos Ezpeleta and Dorna Chief Commercial Officer Dan Rossomondo. Check it out below!

Trackhouse Racing will run two Aprilia RS-GPs, ridden by multiple-MotoGP™ winner #88 Miguel Oliveira and rising talent #25 Raul Fernandez. The full 2024 livery will be revealed early next season but as part of the launch, the team unveiled a symbolic American flag-liveried bike, paying tribute to both previous testing colours used by Nicky Hayden and to the incredible motorcycle racing heritage of the USA.

Adding to that American heritage and writing a new chapter, with a new approach, is a key goal for Trackhouse and one MotoGP™ shares. The addition of an American team, representing one of the world’s largest markets, offers a wealth of opportunity to create an exciting new project from the ground up – built on foundations of established success.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Saw that today. With no American in the premier class Roll Eyes

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there an American in Moto2? Name is escaping me at the moment, but I don't recall the results being worthy of a GP seat.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Wasn't there an American in Moto2? Name is escaping me at the moment, but I don't recall the results being worthy of a GP seat.

Joe Roberts (Finished 13th) and Sean Dylan Kelly (Finished 29th). Neither are ready for the premier class.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Roberts was who I was thinking of

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
6 Minutes of Miller
[Embed disabled by Dorna, click link to view on YT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFhdzmDYE4I

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
VR46 2024 Livery

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Argentina GP has been canceled.

Due to “the current situation” aka a country in serious financial trouble with a new libertarian head of state who has promised to cut spending and appears to be following through on his promises.

It sucks to see Argentina lose their GP. Both Rins and Marquez are very good at that track. Could have made for a very interesting race.

Link to article

Being someone who always looks for something positive in what seems like bad news perhaps this could open up the possibility of a second race in the USA? Wishful thinking probably but it is fun to day dream about such a thing happening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
There is no other track to host a MotoGP event. Indy is a shithole track for these bikes and Laguna doesn’t have the infrastructure required.

Bring back Brno.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How about Donington Park?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~