SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Vikings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Vikings Login/Join 
posted
Entertaining film. Enjoyed it as a kid, so was not sure if I wanted to view the movie again. It was as if I had never seen it. I remembered the sword fight to the death between Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis, but missed ALL the major plots having to do with sex, the fact that the two Vikings were half brothers etc.

Actually a rather good cinematic production for 1958.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were both sons of Ragnar, and killed King Aeilla as revenge for his condemning Ragnar to die in a pit of wolves.
The History Channel series, Vikings, has gotten a lot of mileage out of the legend of Ragnar Lothebrok and his sons. The series adheres more closely to the saga but the movie was exceptional - particularly the score and cinematography.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped at the season 1, too many human sacrifice.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
"The Vikings" was a staple at my local theatre as a kid. They ran a Saturday kids matinee, always with action or horror/sci fi movies.

"Prince Valiant" with Robert Wagner was another one I remember. Never seen iit on DVD or even old 8 track. One of my childhood favorites.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked up Prince Valiant. Would enjoy that film today. I spend lots of time watching old movies on TCM. Looks like a good cast and of course lots of action!

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
All one can see of it on YouTube is the old preview. Had a good cast, production values and soundtrack too.

The Errol Flynn swashbucklers were another common one shown on Saturdays. From Robin Hood to Sea Hawks and even the much earlier Captain Blood.

IMHO all three still watchable today.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
"The Vikings" was a staple at my local theatre as a kid. They ran a Saturday kids matinee, always with action or horror/sci fi movies.

"Prince Valiant" with Robert Wagner was another one I remember. Never seen iit on DVD or even old 8 track. One of my childhood favorites.

Doesn't James Mason play the black knight?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post