Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squid Game Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Series on Netflix called Squid Game - from Korea.

Bizarre premise. Reminiscent of some movies I just can't place (because I'm not really into this type of genre, whatever it may be).

But I keep watching episode after episode. I can't say the concept is completely unique but it's weird if you can get past the big question of why.

Anybody else watched it?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
I saw it and liked it a lot. I was surprised that I did, as that isn't my genre and don't normally like Asian films. Started it and got hooked.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I added it to my list but have not watched it yet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
1 episode left. Better than I thought it would be. Took a couple episodes to really get into.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I started watching it on Friday,just finished it today. I thought it was pretty good.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Finished yesterday. Interesting where some people draw lines that they won't cross even in the face of death. Others are corrupt to the core - no surprise there.

Old man's question at the end - I knew the answer immediately (or at least the answer they were going to use). Still pondering if I believe the answer, at least whether or not it applies to the poor.

The marbles episode was touching.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I like it.
Normally I will not watch anything dubbed over but this one was quite entertaining.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
On episode 6. I like it so far.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the first two episodes last night....I'm hooked.
Dubbed movies/shows are always a crap-shoot but, ROK movie industry has been putting out some really high-quality flicks lately, rivaling anything that Hollywood has been pumping out.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Watched the first two episodes last night....I'm hooked.
Dubbed movies/shows are always a crap-shoot but, ROK movie industry has been putting out some really high-quality flicks lately, rivaling anything exceeding everything that Hollywood has been pumping out.

Fixed, yw.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Normally I will not watch anything dubbed over

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Dubbed movies/shows are always a crap-shoot

Dubbed?

Well, that's ya'll's first mistake... Trying to watch a dubbed show.

Subs > Dubs, my friends. There's tons of amazing foreign content out there. And with very few exceptions, watching it in its original language with subtitles is the better option.

Don't let poor dubbing be the thing that causes you to miss out on a good non-English show/film.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ew (dubs).

This is on my list, haven't started it yet.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I found a Japanese series titled Alice in Borderland that sounds like it has a similar premise. Any body seen it? I’ll take a look this weekend. Deadly games of tag and such in Tokyo.

Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
I just finished it. It held my interest throughout, but I was a little disappointed in the ending.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Ending was…ok. It reduced my opinion of the main character and I still think that the Front Man’s. brother didn’t die.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched a number of Korean titles. In general, even for generally great story lines, their endings suck and are not satisfying. Many times, evil characters get a reprieve and many loose ends aren’t closed.

Alice in Borderland seems to be very similar other than one doesn’t volunteer for the games. It’s unclear who gets selected and why (after 1.5 episodes). But very similar. I wonder which came out first.

posted Hide Post
Well, first two acts kept my attention, the third act though..mehhh.

The VIP's weren't needed to the overall story, other than getting the one guy on video. These guys were a collection of wealthy, deviant, odd-balls. After spending 4-5 episodes building some depth in the main characters, in walk a bunch of stereotypes with very little background and some lazy script writing. Are they the benefactors of this whole operation? Do they pay to view one of the events? Why are they only there for the one event rather than the entire thing?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think overall I prefer the Japanese version. Who is a big question. As is the why and how. But other than that, it was more consistent.

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I am watching episode 3 right now. Surprisingly good.

I find the acting and production values very good too. Of course, the dialog is a little over the top.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I found a Japanese series titled Alice in Borderland that sounds like it has a similar premise. Any body seen it? I’ll take a look this weekend. Deadly games of tag and such in Tokyo.

My wife liked Alice in Borderland better. I've not watched Squid Games, so I can't compare.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post