SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone Play PC Flight Games with Sticks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Play PC Flight Games with Sticks? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I've been playing Star Citizen for around 5-6 months. (Space Sim)

I've been thinking about getting pair of sticks for PVP & PVE type stuff. I've played with some sticks a LONG time ago. Probably 10+ years. So it makes sense to my brain. Just need to work out all the key binds.

They Logitech Thrustmasters seen a good budget buy. They run around $120 for a dual stick HOSAS set up. But also looking at VKBs and some others.

Anyone have any hands on experience with any sticks they can recommend?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have a joystick and pedals from here: CHproducts

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I had a VKB Gladiator initially for DCS, but upgraded to a Gunfighter. Sold the Gladiator to a buddy who already had one, he uses both together for Star Citizen.

Just spoke to him, he said he switched over to a couple of Thrustmaster products (T1600?). Said keymapping was crazy.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I had a VKB Gladiator initially for DCS, but upgraded to a Gunfighter. Sold the Gladiator to a buddy who already had one, he uses both together for Star Citizen.

Just spoke to him, he said he switched over to a couple of Thrustmaster products (T1600?). Said keymapping was crazy.

Mmmm... Only gripe with Thrustmasters I've heard. Is build quality. I've heard most go out in a year or two. But @ $60 a piece they are almost disposable I guess. Mmmm....

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played IL2 a WW2 combat flight sim for years. I started out with a Thrustmaster, but then
got a CH joystick, throttle and rudder pedals. Had a blast. 32 people online in dogfights.
I was an average pilot but some people just couldn't be beat. The trick with the Thrustmaster
joystick was to put a ziptie around the spring to give you better control. I've thought about
installing it on my current PC just to have fun. Very steep learning curve. It would take me a long
time to relearn all the buttons.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Also, I think there are aftermarket kits to improve some of the TM shortfalls. For example, there are replacement parts for the Warthog joystick to improve durability. I still use the Warthog throttle, and replaced the wonky TDC slew on it. Pretty simple, especially with YouTube.

But I also would not write off VKB. They are built like tanks.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
i used to play mechwarrior with a flight stick, never any flight sim games though.

these were the dialup modem days. lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Jeez... Just priced a pair of VKBs @ $270. Not bad... cheapest shipping was $66 freaking dollars. Ummm... WHAT?!

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Mine came from China IIRC.