New
Find
Notify
Tools

Billy Joel Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
I have been to three concerts, and they have all have been by Billy Joel. Last one was in Boston for his River of Dreams concert.

So show me some Billy Joel songs.

One of my favorites.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to sneak in here and say that I don't own any of his stuff. I've never been to see him. But when he comes on the radio (yeah, I listen to radio and certain station that plays him somewhat regularly) I don't think I ever change the station. But on radio, I don't think they do his the variety of his work justice.
I think the last video I saw was him inviting a college kid up to play w/ him. The kid was having that moment and didn't let down.

ETA: But my memory of Billy Joel's music: 15,20 yrs. ago I worked in a lumber yard driving Hi-lo. My Hi-Lo had a radio and one year I had a high school kid working w/ me who's dad was a big fan of Billy Joel. The kid was raised on Billy Joel. Every time a Billy Joel song came on we'd be singing along w/ him.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I could count on one hand songs that create an emotional response from me. And, I would have three fingers left over. Goodnight Saigon is one of those songs.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I could count on one hand songs that create an emotional response from me. And, I would have three fingers left over...

I am just the opposite. My favorite is his live album Songs in The Attic and "Summer, Highland Falls" is my favorite song (Farm Aid version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ol7uTxnl0

He played at my college (SUNY Cortland) early in his career, around 1972, with Linda Ronstadt. I passed (kick me!) and did something else that night.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've failed to do many things right in my role as a father raising two beautiful daughters. One thing I've done well? Both of mine appreciate Billy Joel's music, not just his popular stuff. If they hear the beginnings of "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant," they'll stop everything and turn it up.

Both learned to drive listening to either a CD or my playlist (depending on the era) which heavily flavored with his music. So now when I hear certain songs of his, they carry layers of memories-those from my teenage years, coupled with the later memories of my girls driving my truck down back roads learning to drive to songs about Brenda and Eddie and the discount rack "like another can of beans."

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Pretty entertaining from a few years back. Kid from the audience asked to accompany Billy Joel and was granted his request.

New York State of Mind

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Downeaster Alexa...

Piano Man...

Innocent Man...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My brother had The Stranger on 8-track. I wore it out. I tend to avoid his material now only because I beat it all to death over the decades. My wife is a huge fan. But I'm still firmly in the camp that this man is a superb talent.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
This is my warm-up song for drums...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My very favorite and go-to Billy Joel song is this one, which IIRC was never a big hit but I love it. Highland Falls, NY is the town right outside of West Point, NY:

I had a chance to go see him in Germany for the River of Dreams tour in 1994 while in the Army there and I never made it and have kicked myself ever since Frown

Posts: 33760 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
With bonus Christie Brinkley and Rolls Royce footage

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Billy Joel may have been a New Yorker through and through but it was a DJ in Philly at famed rock station WMMR that started playing this unknown newcomer’s song “Captain Jack” and made him famous. I don’t think many people have ever heard about this:

Here’s How Philadelphia Created Billy Joel

Posts: 33760 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Billy Joel and Elton John together in Clemson, SC in the early 90s. One of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joel doesn't play 'Captain Jack' live much, though does save it for Philly shows.

Anybody who likes him should go ahead and try to see him live. I saw him 2 years ago now at one of his MSG shows and he was excellent.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Billy Joel may have been a New Yorker through and through but it was a DJ in Philly at famed rock station WMMR that started playing this unknown newcomer’s song “Captain Jack” and made him famous. I don’t think many people have ever heard about this:

Here’s How Philadelphia Created Billy Joel

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I saw him at Giants Stadium with Elton John. Great show. I am not an Elton John fan but still it was great. Two great pianists playing together.

My favorite album is Glass Houses.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Another favorite of mine, I seem to like his more obscure and non-big-hit songs for some reason:

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I saw a documentary called Hired Guns, about studio musicians. Seems Mr. Joel was less than kind to those he hires.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've seen dozens of shows over the years, maybe hundred or more, but never Billy Joel. I'd like to see him live. And I don't even like giant arena shows.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post