SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Got a free year of AppleTV+ with our new T-Mobile plan. Is it just me or does ATV+ really suck?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a free year of AppleTV+ with our new T-Mobile plan. Is it just me or does ATV+ really suck? Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
I wanted to activate it so we could watch Greyhound. Except for the stupid radio taunting by a sub commander (which AFAIK never happened) and the idiotic conning tower art it was really pretty damn good.

It was only after that I looked at what else is on AppleTV+. Aside from a series called Tehran that i want to watch, it looks to be an absolute woke wasteland. My wife wants to cancel it already. I told her we have a year, we should at least keep it around and see what else might bob to surface. But it does look pretty bleak. I can't believe the amount of crap on there you still have to pay for a-la-carte. It seems they even beat Amazon Prime on this basis.

Any recommendations out there?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend For All Mankind and Ted Lasso.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Greyhound was/is a good movie, Hanks did a very good job. We got the same deal from T-Mobile, have not really gotten into the meat from Apple on shows yet

The Long Way Up series of long distance motorcycle rides with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, where they ride E-Harley Livewires from the tip of South America back to the USA.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, years ago I was excited by the prospect of For All Mankind when it was first announced. Once it started airing I got reports from several people, not all on this forum, that this was pure woke revisionist history. I do realize it is described as 'alternate' history. Here is a review that seems to sum up everything I ever heard about this show:

'Had a lot of promise. It's one thing to write an alternate timeline of history. It's quite another when the parts of actual history kept in the story are rewritten to fit the current left-wing narrative. Very disappointed in this decades continued determination to rewrite history.'

No offense intended, but I believe I can do without this.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Another Hanks movie on ATV+ is Finch, very enjoyable. I also enjoyed Tehran, and stuck with Ted Lasso for a while. If you enjoy baseball, they just acquired Friday night doubleheaders, and they are bidding on the NFL Sunday Ticket as well.

I read The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov, many years ago and enjoyed it much. Foundation on ATV+ is based on that series of books. I have not dipped into that yet.

The new series Black Bird debuts with the first two episodes tomorrow (8 July), and it looks promising.

There is a lot of chaff along with the wheat, but there is still some good stuff to watch, with more coming.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You may want to browse through this 3-page thread concerning Apple TV+ content:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...74&a=tpc&f=720601935

My personal favorite is Ted Lasso. They started filming the third--and final--season a couple months ago and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
With Verizon we got Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+. ESPN is flat out useless asswipe. It rarely shows Braves baseball games which is about the only thing I’d watch. There are a couple of other teams covered a little. Hulu is fairly useless except for “The Old Man”. Disney + has some content my family watches but it’s Disney…
Sigh.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
The show Seeis ok as some of the aforementioned shows.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We just finished binging the 1st season of Tehran. Very good show.

posted Hide Post
"...The new series Black Bird debuts with the first two episodes tomorrow (8 July), and it looks promising..."

Watched both, its a good one.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I read The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov, many years ago and enjoyed it much. Foundation on ATV+ is based on that series of books. I have not dipped into that yet.

I’d be interested in your take on the show. I thought it had a lot of promise but felt like it fizzled out a bunch. I intend to read the books but time is in short supply at the moment.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I wanted to activate it so we could watch Greyhound. Except for the stupid radio taunting by a sub commander (which AFAIK never happened) and the idiotic conning tower art it was really pretty damn good.

It was only after that I looked at what else is on AppleTV+. Aside from a series called Tehran that i want to watch, it looks to be an absolute woke wasteland. My wife wants to cancel it already. I told her we have a year, we should at least keep it around and see what else might bob to surface. But it does look pretty bleak. I can't believe the amount of crap on there you still have to pay for a-la-carte. It seems they even beat Amazon Prime on this basis.

Any recommendations out there?

We just switched over to T-Mobile, does everyone get Apple TV? I didn't see anything about it when we switched.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
We just switched over to T-Mobile, does everyone get Apple TV? I didn't see anything about it when we switched.

Not certain here. My wife and I got the 'Magenta Max 55+' plan, not sure what their other plans include. We are also using their 5G wireless gateway for home internet. Including the free Netflix, we are saving something like $50 bucks a month.

You kind of have to look. I bet I wouldn't have known except the fellow at the T-mobile store told us while we were deciding on service. Para was right, the store people are pretty good.

My wife is telling me Magenta plus has AppleTV as well. It looks like you should have it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/apple-tv-plus-deal

Go to your online account and activate it, or call CS

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/apple-tv-plus-deal

Go to your online account and activate it, or call CS

Yes, we have magenta plus, I downloaded their app and saw it in there, got it thanks. It is a good deal, also you get Paramount+ for a year.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got Apple TV free through T Mobile too. What a bunch of junk.

Ted Lasso season 1 was good, but season 2 not so much.

Watched Foundation and Isaac Asimov must be rolling in his grave. I understand their need to turn the hero into a diverse female character, but did have to give her “the force” like in Star Wars? Asimov wrote hard science, not fantasy. What a waste.

Posts: 264 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post