SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Another legend passes: Sidney Poitier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another legend passes: Sidney Poitier Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir

Pretty good run

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He was a legend.
RIP

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Always Mr. Tibbs to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I remember one of the last scenes in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" where his father explains to him that he owes him because of all he has done as his father and you are totally in agreement with the father then Sidney's character replies and it turns all around and you get his point... one of the best scenes and writing as well as acting in a movie, in my opinion.

Oh, but I also remember when the old 'plantation owning' white guy slaps him In The Heat of the Night and he immediately slaps him back.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your (military) service to this country and for choosing silver screen roles that demonstrated the depth of human character. RIP Dear Sir.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Blackboard Jungle

To Sir, with Love

Both groundbreakers for black actors, one produced and filmed in the US and one in the UK.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Three hilarious scenes from Shoot to Kill. he should have gotten as Oscar for them.

Good bye, Mr. Tibbs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was a very fine actor and I always enjoyed his movies. RIP

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5163 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had a sense about him a while back when someone else passed away in the Hollywood business. I forget which actor it was but it occurred to me to see if Sydney was still alive. Wikipedia said he was but he was old. So I watch Lilies on YouTube. Wouldn’t it be something if we could all stay in our prime?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A good actor with many memorable roles.

RIP.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Always Mr. Tibbs to me.

Mr. Tibbs slapped my childhood neighbor in this great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fukgy8w5_X0

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
To Sir With Love and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner remain two of my favorites to this day.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
His bones were made with those classics listed above. But in his later years, he made a few somewhat lesser films, but his participation made them so much better than they would have been. Some that come to mind are Sneakers, The Jackal and The Bedford Incident. He lent an air of legitimacy and professionalism to just about anything.

He had class.
RIP sir.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7260 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Lilies of the Field. 1963. Baptist contractor builds a chapel for a bunch of German nuns in rural Arazona.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I remember him best from "A Raisin In The Sun".

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
Lilies of the Field. 1963. Baptist contractor builds a chapel for a bunch of German nuns in rural Arazona.

One of my favorite movies. I just watched it again last month.

Mother:We build a shapel.

Smith: That's very nice. What's a "shapel"? Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6409 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post