He was a legend.
RIP
January 07, 2022, 10:12 AM
Ronin1069
Always Mr. Tibbs to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
January 07, 2022, 02:26 PM
Blume9mm
I remember one of the last scenes in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" where his father explains to him that he owes him because of all he has done as his father and you are totally in agreement with the father then Sidney's character replies and it turns all around and you get his point... one of the best scenes and writing as well as acting in a movie, in my opinion.

Oh, but I also remember when the old 'plantation owning' white guy slaps him In The Heat of the Night and he immediately slaps him back.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
January 07, 2022, 02:32 PM
Dakor
Thank you for your (military) service to this country and for choosing silver screen roles that demonstrated the depth of human character. RIP Dear Sir.
January 07, 2022, 02:35 PM
Pyker
Blackboard Jungle

To Sir, with Love

Both groundbreakers for black actors, one produced and filmed in the US and one in the UK.
January 07, 2022, 03:20 PM
Sig2340
Three hilarious scenes from Shoot to Kill. he should have gotten as Oscar for them.

Good bye, Mr. Tibbs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
January 07, 2022, 05:08 PM
BMR
He was a very fine actor and I always enjoyed his movies. RIP

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz
January 07, 2022, 05:13 PM
darthfuster
I had a sense about him a while back when someone else passed away in the Hollywood business. I forget which actor it was but it occurred to me to see if Sydney was still alive. Wikipedia said he was but he was old. So I watch Lilies on YouTube. Wouldn’t it be something if we could all stay in our prime?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
January 07, 2022, 05:20 PM
jhe888
A good actor with many memorable roles.

RIP.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
January 07, 2022, 06:43 PM
220-9er
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Always Mr. Tibbs to me.

Mr. Tibbs slapped my childhood neighbor in this great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fukgy8w5_X0

January 07, 2022, 09:45 PM
P-220
To Sir With Love and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner remain two of my favorites to this day.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
January 08, 2022, 12:07 AM
83v45magna
His bones were made with those classics listed above. But in his later years, he made a few somewhat lesser films, but his participation made them so much better than they would have been. Some that come to mind are Sneakers, The Jackal and The Bedford Incident. He lent an air of legitimacy and professionalism to just about anything.

He had class.
RIP sir.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11
January 08, 2022, 10:50 AM
bob ramberg
Lilies of the Field. 1963. Baptist contractor builds a chapel for a bunch of German nuns in rural Arazona.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum
January 08, 2022, 11:46 AM
tgtshuter
I remember him best from "A Raisin In The Sun".
January 09, 2022, 11:23 AM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
Lilies of the Field. 1963. Baptist contractor builds a chapel for a bunch of German nuns in rural Arazona.

One of my favorite movies. I just watched it again last month.

Mother:We build a shapel.

Smith: That's very nice. What's a "shapel"? Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant