SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What song for demonstrating an audio system / stereo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What song for demonstrating an audio system / stereo? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
What one song do you use to demonstrate the fidelity, quality, and capability of an audio system, stereo, Hi Fi system, etc?

What one song clearly sounds best only on good systems?

Can be of any genre of music.

Oh, I'm thinking CD might be the best quality, but are there decent download sources for the demo song for a few bucks?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's an old source, but just about anything from Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture score, especially anything that features the Blaster Beam.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hotel California from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Live version. One of the absolute best for a demo even if you do not like the Eagles.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Symphony Number Three in C Sharp Minor (the “Organ Symphony”) by Camille Saint-Sans. Especially the last part where the organ comes in.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra: Concerto For Group and Orchestra.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paint it black
Hotel california
Holy diver
Sweet home alabama

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I would want to hear something from an older jazz album, a Charlie Parker or Miles Davis track maybe, and then something from the 70's classic rock era - think a side from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or Zeppelin's Presence. And then I have lots of oddball outliers - the opening track of Mick Jagger's solo album Primitive Cool is a song called "Throwaway," which just rocks when played on a powerful system.

Regardless of your song choice, digital formats are not optimal for testing high end sound systems because they don't capture the entire sound wave. You want an analog recording (vinyl) to really hear a rich, accurate, lossless sound.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
To test the bass, The Chain by Fleetwood Mac. For the rest, The Nutcracker.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Hotel California from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Live version. One of the absolute best for a demo even if you do not like the Eagles.

Agreed.

Sources one of my best friends and I used to use, back in the day: Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album Fleetwood Mac and Chicago's Chicago VI.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have that DVD. The 5.1 version is pretty incredible. I wonder if they’d ever be able to pull an HD or uncompressed audio track from the source.

Edit - I’m not sure which DVD I have. I’ll have to go check.

Edit2 - Yes it’s the tan Hell Freezes Over.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Haven't bought any gear in a long time, but I always made sure to run the THX sound effect through anything I was considering.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you have one of these?
http://www.orangedove.net/real...equalizer-n4192.html

I say anything Beatle's

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
While it won't cover all the sound spectrum, i love to hear Cannonball Adderley Somerthing Else album. The piano could be better but the sax and trumpet will blow you away.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't really considered myself an audiophile in years, but I did in my younger days, and I found that everyone was so worried about base that they forgot about the higher frequencies, and they would often distort badly, especially at higher volumes.

I don't know if this CD is still available, but the opening sequence gives a petty good full spectrum workout. It's also one of the better synthesizer albums if you are into that genre of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCa_5-Hy51w

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Take 5, Brubeck

something disco(ish) from Goldfrapp,

maybe some obscure Numan or similar for some synth and bass lines?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, if ya gonna reference it, give us a link!

Eagles Hotel California Hell Freezes over

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1812 Overture. Cannon shots test bass response very well.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just don't ask Buck.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/A6DRZlytJpQ

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Hey, if ya gonna reference it, give us a link!

Eagles Hotel California Hell Freezes over

Well, I didn’t think a super compressed online video would do it justice. Even an iTunes copy would be cleaner.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post