SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What song for demonstrating an audio system / stereo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What song for demonstrating an audio system / stereo? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Grab the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Get it on CD so you get the best quality version out there. The film on Blu Ray is also reference but for audio purposes get the CD. It will push and test your system extremely well. Disney paid for and built Daft Punk a million dollar studio to do the score for the film. I was in audio and the music business for 25 years and spent much of that producing so I’m always up for a reference disc to test a system to its’ limit. Enjoy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't think you can do this with just 1 song.

There's so much diverse and great music out there that can show off a sound system.

Led Zeppelin- Ramble On... The part in the song where the music shifts from the right channel, to the left, back to the right...

More Led Zeppelin- Rock and Roll, Moby Dick, or When the Levey Breaks.
The Who- Won't get fooled again

Move over to to some Jazz Drummers: Gene Krupa, Steve Gadd
I'd probably toss in "Take 5" by Brubeck

Include Phill Collins- In the air tonight

Show off some drums.

Guitars- Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton
Move over to some acoustic guitar- Clapton, Crosby, Stills & Nash. Neil Young
Look at some Rodrigo y Gaberela.

You need that big, fat sound... That means a horn section.
Chicago, Vehicle by the Ides of March, Spinning Wheel, Let it Roll by Little Feat.

Then some Classical Music!
Kkina brings up a phenomenal suggestion:
Toccata and Fugue in D minor.
Beethoven, Back, Mozart, Chopin, Tchaikovsky...
There's always John Phillips Sousa.

Throw in some Eletronic Music-
Daft Punk, Depeche Mode
Maybe some Dub Step

Or you can be simple... Play the beginning of Apocalypse Now.
The End, by The Doors.
However, you can hear the rotor blades of the helicopters and the explosions.
Star Wars, but the scenes with the light sabers, Return of the Jedi, the scene where they are racing thru the forest

The chase scene from Bullitt.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Rush YYZ.

Lots of high pitch and plenty of bass

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I used the Blu Ray version of "The Fellowship of the Ring" when I auditioned the Golden Ear Triton 2+ speakers.

The scene with Balrog and the escape from the mines of Moria is what I used. There is bass, low frequency effects, a male chorus, shrieks, growls, whispers, strings and finally a female soprano solo... the female solo is when I said to myself "I am going to buy these speakers."

I would also recommend any Pixar movie, their sound design is fantastic. The Incredibles has everything you will need to put a speaker through its paces.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1600 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Hotel California from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Live version. One of the absolute best for a demo even if you do not like the Eagles.

Absolutely..This was going to be my first suggestion. The first time I heard it on my home system when the drum breaks in after the initial guitar is just amazing!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Shine on you Crazy Diamond ...Floyd
Motherless Children...Clapton
Stranglehold...Nugent

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
We would always plug in Top Gun and watch/listen to the first 10 minutes or so while the Tomcats were being launched. LOTS of low end...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You should use the music you like for a demo. Some systems sound are better suited to some kinds of music.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Move over to to some Jazz Drummers: Gene Krupa, Steve Gadd.

Steve Gadd has played drums in many genres, including jazz. He’s toured with Clapton for years.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I usually use one vocalist, one guitar, one piano and one quartet or symphony.

I like to test for dynamics, accuracy and sound stage. Pick something that was recorded well that is very familiar to you.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Hotel California from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Live version. One of the absolute best for a demo even if you do not like the Eagles.

I was going to say exactly this.

I have the DVD-audio version with dts.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Every time I've tested an audio system (mostly in automobiles, but I have a Bang & Olufsen home system as well as several Bose systems) I bring with me a copy of Fourplay's debut album. The opening track, "Bali Run" has everything needed: quiet high-hat cymbals, rumbling bass, sparkling guitar work, and deft keyboard work.

The embed link in YouTube isn't allowing me to. So, here's a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXMMM5wpuo

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
"Rondo" - Mannheim Steamroller, Fresh Aire (I)

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Sq5Yc17BY

Going vinyl, then the original MFSL pressing of Dark Side of the Moon, of course. I don't expect anyone needs a link for that. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Listen to what you like.

I’ve also got send Rusted Root’s “When I Woke” album for a good mix and the dynamics.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Mozart, Flute Concerto No 1, K 313, or his Haffner symphony; or a Bach flute/harp/piano/violin concerto- Op 61, D major is a favorite.

Mannheim Steamroller, Fresh Aire II.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I'd use something like this myself.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Opening two songs from Metallica's S&M discs

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'd probably play a few scores from John Williams, particularly the theme from Jurassic Park.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post