SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    First 5 minutes of Ghost in the shell
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First 5 minutes of Ghost in the shell Login/Join 
posted
https://youtu.be/fPdkKHtqp7U

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Since it seems to be a shot-for-shot remake of the anime, I'll probably skip it in favor of said original anime.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Since it seems to be a shot-for-shot remake of the anime, I'll probably skip it in favor of said original anime.

Going by the other trailers that have been released, it diverges wildly in stupid directions as the movie continues.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
That is mash up of opening scenes from the two anime films and the first episode of SAC OAV. It's done for the fans. It has to feel familiar.

Scarlett is showing too much emotion, considering Motoko walks around with a blank stare most of the time. Should have cast Kristen Stewart instead. Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Not digging Batou, either. Looks like his eyes are goggles he activates when going into a fight but otherwise show as normal eyes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the other trailers are showing snippets that seem to be pulled frame-by-frame from the original....but then there is that BS about "you are the first of your kind". And I concur with Rawny, Anime Kusanagi has a terminal case of Resting Bitch Face. ScarJo is showing way too much emotion, and in my opinion, emotions alien to the Major (perplexed, worried, angsty LOL).

And while I haven't watched the original in awhile, does Motoko ever refer to herself as just "Major"?? IIRC, it's THE Major.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
She only calls herself "Major" in formal introductions, and when identifying herself to alert other agencies during an operation.

Within Section 9, she only refers herself in the first person. The only other "females" are those freaky dispatchers with spider hands.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Will she have a snarky, talking Tachikoma, though? That would be a redeemer.

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
No way am I watching this. The originals were enough for me.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Sci-Fi but this was too much for me. I can handle the dramatic high dive turn into digital something or other. But then she is fighting basically invisible and all of the sudden we can see her? WTF? If you can be invisible ala Predator, why wouldn't you finish the fight that way?

Oh, I know, so the viewers have an excuse to see Scar-Jo do slow motion wire work in a skin tight suit. Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It is explained in the manga/anime that the thermo-optic camouflage is a thin wearable membrane, and is easily damaged. Once things get rough and it tears, the user no longer have concealment.

So it only offers the user the element of surprise.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Per the GitS Wiki...

Thermo-optical camouflage[edit]

An important technology used in the series is thermo-optical camouflage (光学迷彩 kōgaku meisai?). Members of Section 9 as well as their Tachikoma tanks have the ability to activate a special camouflage technology which enables them to blend in with the environment, making them near-invisible across all visible spectrum and thermal imaging. It is an active stealth system which projects ambient conditions of the opposing side, thus rendering the masked object transparent by transmission. The system is not perfect, as it seems unable to compensate for sudden changes and physical impacts and not impervious to close observation. It also has difficulty working in rain or if walking through shallow water. A faint translucent distortion is shown as the limitations of the technology. In the legal landscape of the series, usage of the technology without a warrant is heavily restricted. The use of this technology by Section 9 is the exception, and not the norm - further highlighting their extraordinary legal standing.

In the Stand Alone Complex alternate timeline, however, this technology seems to have been perfected and is capable of operating in highly illuminated environment, as evidenced in the episode "Android and I". The visual distortions are therefore purely for the benefit of the viewers.

There is present-day research into the active optic camouflage at the University of Tokyo inspired by the technology's fictional portrayal in the series.[1]

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post