SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What are your favorite Michael Caine films?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your favorite Michael Caine films? Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
He's not over too much since you can count the Christopher Nolan Batmans as one long movie in three parts...

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I never realized Michael Caine had a cameo in Dunkirk! He plays Fortis Leader, the leader of the 3 Spitfire flight headed towards Dunkirk.

It's easy to miss, because he's never shown, and we only hear his voice over the radio in a brief early scene with the pilots giving fuel checks, before the leader is shot down.

Makes sense, considering Michael Caine and Christopher Nolan are very frequent collaborators.

So since Dunkirk is now a "Michael Caine film" by technicality, it definitely makes my list, in place of The Prestige. Big Grin

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The Italian Job
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Kingsman: The Secret Service
A Bridge too Far
All the Batman Movies
Battle of Britain
The Eagle Has Landed
Everyone else is playing by the rules. I asked nicely, didn't I?

Well, shoot, I got busy looking up his films and carried away.... Missed the 5 limit part....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Get Carter
Hannah and Her Sisters
Harry Brown
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Batman Begins

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Michael Caine is not a film star snob; he's a regular guy with great acting ability, one of my favorites in all cinema.

As an honorable mention, and to prove Para's point - Dressed to Kill, a great De Palma 80's erotic/thriller, Hitchcock knockoff.

Edit: I probably should have put "great" in quotes. But the film is an excellent example of a cheesy 80's sub-genre.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get Carter.
A Bridge Too Far.
The Eagle Has Landed.
Zulu.
Second Hand Lions.
Dressed To Kill.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Another pretty good film was Educating Rita. One not so good was The Magus .

I most likely saw this at a midnight showing at The Film Forum in Ansley mall here in Atlanta. This was the epitome of an art house theater , with the wafting of pot smoke along with Harold and Maude. George Ellis, aka Bestoink Dooley ran it and it was a great place.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Get Carter.
A Bridge Too Far.
The Eagle Has Landed.
Zulu.
Second Hand Lions.
Dressed To Kill.
That's six.

I asked nicely, didn't I?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Looked at his film history and he sure was in a lot of movies, some I remember and some I don't. Guess Get Carter was one I really liked.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Island stands out for me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Get Carter.
A Bridge Too Far.
The Eagle Has Landed.
Zulu.
Second Hand Lions.
Dressed To Kill.
That's six.

I asked nicely, didn't I?

Get the Genital Cuff!

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blame it on Rio
Mr. Destiny
Second Hand Lions
Going in Style

Most of the members stated many of my favorites but here are a few more.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Second Hand Lions is my favorite. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels second.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Michael Caine as Harry Palmer in:

The Ipcress File (1965)

Funeral in Berlin (1966)

Both are top tier British spy films.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is my favorite.
Zulu is marvelous, but it's more than a Michael Caine movie.
I don't recall Ipcress File or Funeral in Berlin well, but seems I enjoyed them.
#5: Alfie

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I thought he was hilarious in Miss Congeniality.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Although he's been in better movies, my favorite Michael Caine film is Victory(1981). I was playing soccer in West Germany back then, and this one stood out to me, especially with Pele in it as well.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Reading the lists, it's clear I've missed seeing several of his movies, but of the ones I've seen:

- Miss Congeniality

- A Bridge Too Far

- Zulu

- Battle of Britain

- Dunkirk

I gotta say that I absolutely hated Dirty Rotten Scoundrels when I saw it in a theater. I felt so disappointed when the televised movie trailer where Freddy pushes the lady into the water turns out to be the only funny scene in the movie. I think I hated Steve Martin's performance more than Sir Michael Caine's.

I dunno, maybe I'll rewatch it and see if it hits me differently a few decades later.

I've always wanted to see Get Carter and, based on recommendations here, I just tried to reserve it from the local library, but alas they don't have either version.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I never realized Michael Caine had a cameo in Dunkirk! He plays Fortis Leader, the leader of the 3 Spitfire flight headed towards Dunkirk.

It's easy to miss, because he's never shown, and we only hear his voice over the radio in a brief early scene with the pilots giving fuel checks, before the leader is shot down.

Nice pick-up! The moment I heard Fortis leader's voice over the radio I instantly knew it was Sir Michael Caine's voice, but was disappointed it was an uncredited appearance.

Fortis flight was one of my favorite scenes in Dunkirk.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I thought he was hilarious in Miss Congeniality.

Absolutely agree. I have that movie on DVD, and every single time I watch it I'm convinced his performance was award winning worthy, absolutely brilliant... pure comedic genius.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
As posted in the other thread Sleuth

I'm surprised 'Sleuth' isn't making anyone else's top 5 list. It's the only movie on my list. I've seen very few and of the one's I've seen, they're not memorable.

Sleuth was recommended to me by an elderly coworker years ago. I remember really liking the ending. I've only seen it the one time and now I want to rewatch it.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Deathtrap with the late Christopher Reeves and Diane Cannon. A fun comedy thriller. Gosh I haven't seen it in years. Here's the trailer.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post