SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Ha, just finished "Cabinet of Curiosities", on the library wait list for Obsidian Chamber.

You should read them more in order. There is a big gap and lots of story between those two. I like to use the Fantastic Fiction web site to keep up with authors and their works.

My mistake, I'm in sequence, waiting on "Still Life with Crows".

Reading "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen E. Ambrose.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Gonna throw this out as a suggestion. I'm a person that will read a good book multiple times. This is one of those. Currently my son is reading it so I'm doing so again and discussing it with him.

"Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut. It just might be his best.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently finished a book called IQ by Joe Ide. A pretty good mystery story.

Another book I recently finished was Left of Bang by Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley. It's a book about techniques for developing situational awareness based on the USMC Combat Hunter program. Very good read for the tactically-minded.

I'm currently reading Protect Yourself With Your Snubnose Revolver by Grant Cunningham. So far it's pretty good, focusing mostly on the basics during the first few chapters.

quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Just finished "Orphan X" by Greg Hurwitz on audible, narrated by Scott Brick. Phenomenal! I immediately downloaded the next in the series "The Nowhere Man" which so far is even better.

Evan Smoake makes Mitch Rapp look like a fucking Girl Scout.

I just picked up Orphan X this past week. It seemed like the kind of story I'd be interested in. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to start reading it, though. I liked Gregg Hurwitz's previous series with DUSM Tim Rackley. I was torn between Orphan X and starting Mark Greaney's Gray Man series. I'll probably end up checking out the Gray Man series before too long.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde. Jeff Guinn.

This is a well researched book that presents very good contextual information on the depression, life in the era, and the history of Dallas and surrounding era. Almost anyone should learn some interesting history. Originally printed in 2009 copies can be found on Amazon and eBay.

Detail down to Clyde's beginngs as a chicken theif showed his character (or lack of it). The depression was more than hard but few turned to violent crime; in Clyde's case over 200 robberies and at least 12 murders in the short two years of the pairs spree. Their notoriety pushed along by the photographs that continued to sensationalize the pair. It also touched on the very bad prison system in the 20's and 30's and the effect it likely added.

I saw the car Bonnie and Clyde were killed in as a child and the (well deserved) overkill was evident. The pair and their hanger-ons killed without remorse (mainly LEOs) and their end and their interstsate crime rampage surely helped drive federal law enforcement forward. I liked the book, published on the 75 year anniversary of their deaths, because of the focus on historical information and life in the time, not just the duo.

Edit: If you have Amazon Prime there is an interesting American Experience: Bonnie and Clyde in Amazon Video...

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat:
Anything and everything I can written by Thomas Sowell, whether archived columns or books.

Reading Dr. Sowell will give you a better education than you could get at 99% of the universities in this country.

I just finished The Longest Day, and am re-reading Max Hasting's Inferno and started Bruce Catton's Grant Moves South.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Currently working on Roadshow by Neil Peart.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Enjoying the Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series and am up to "A Darkness More Than Night"

Inbetween those I recently read
The Chicolini Incident: A Rex Nihilo Adventure -Robert Kroese

Dark Matter -Blake Crouch

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
Recently read Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion,and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson
by S. C. Gwynne.

Wonderful book!

BTW-the "Redemption" in the title refers, I think, to his career trajectory. Like Grant, and to a lesser extent Sherman, before his Civil War years Jackson was not very successful-career wise. According to Gwynne, he was probably the worst professor that VMI ever had-up to that time.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I tend to stick with an author that I like.

Last year I read all of John Grisham and Michael Connelly. This year I'm working on Lee Child's excellent Reacher series.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4213 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
The One Man by Andrew Gross

This is a great book. A Jewish Army Officer infiltrates Auschwitz to find and then escape with an inmate nuclear scientist. Lots of twists and turns and boy, the author is able to paint a disgusting dreary picture of life in the camps. So sad.

Anything W.E.B. Griffin and David Baldacci books are the best.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Before Christmas, I became fascinated with the Great Lakes Hurricane of 1913.

I am currently reading November's Fury. Next up, is Ships Gone Missing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
English Historic Carpentry by Cecil A. Hewett.
Defeat into Victory: Battling Japan in Burma and India 1942-1945 by Field Marshal Viscount Slim.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
Started reading the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. First book was great, I'm into the second one.

I've read the entire series to date, like em!

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Blackguards a collection of short stories by various authors about fantasy thieves, assassins, rogues. Pretty good.

Recently re-read the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson, very good.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
Started reading the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. First book was great, I'm into the second one.

I've read the entire series to date, like em!

I learned about this series right here in this forum, and I am working my way through them. Currently I have the 3rd book, Ballistic, checked out and next up to read. An excellent character and series.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.

All of his are great. Not good, but great. I found Dead Wake and Isaac's Storm especially great.

I just finished Tribe by Sebastian Junger. That was a 3 day read. Good one. Love all of his.

Currently reading On Killing by Grossman.

Recently read The Siege (about the Mumbai attack on 2008), also a good one.

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - The Lost World.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Exodus by Leon Uris. Never got around to it until I found a copy in a recycling bin. Interesting historical fiction.

Currently about 3/4 of the way through Civilian Warriors: The Inside Story of Blackwater and the Unsung Heroes of the War on Terror by Erik Prince. I'd say the writing is on par with Lone Survivor, pretty easy. Wife gave me a copy for Christmas.

Next up in the que is Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Before Christmas, I became fascinated with the Great Lakes Hurricane of 1913.

I am currently reading November's Fury. Next up, is Ships Gone Missing.

Love to see the reading list on this. Yuuuge fan of the story of the Fitz and in the book Gales of November by Robert Hemming there are a number of references to the storm of 1913.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guardian Angel: Life and Death Adventures with Air Force Pararescue, the World's Most Powerful
Commando Rescue Force.

Written by a PJ. Great read.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post