SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Focal and Ronstadt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Focal and Ronstadt Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm enjoying music on the new Focal Chora speakers. Videos are also good but the enjoyment is more pronounced with music. Really enjoying / exploring new things along the lines of Art Pepper, Stan Getz and Vivaldi, Mozart, and others. I'm also enjoying new vocals.

I never liked Ronstadt when I was young - not sure why. But I took a listen recently and really like her now. Maybe she's an acquired taste as one gets older? Stacey Kent, Julie London and others are getting a refresh too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12792 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never liked Ronstadt when I was young - not sure why. But I took a listen recently and really like her now. Maybe she's an acquired taste as one gets older?

I don’t know what to say about that. I thought she was fantastic from the first time I heard her with the Stone Poneys, and…absolutely, positively stunningly beautiful

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13329 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
I never liked Ronstadt when I was young - not sure why. But I took a listen recently and really like her now. Maybe she's an acquired taste as one gets older?

I don’t know what to say about that. I thought she was fantastic from the first time I heard her with the Stone Poneys, and…absolutely, positively stunningly beautiful

There was a lot of great rock songs coming out at that time, I suspect the style of your music has changed some.
And yes, she was hot, extremely talented.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, it's probably because I had different tastes then and now. Although I still like much of the music I liked back then (actually more so than any of the current artists). But finding that there is much more that I like now than back then - didn't care for jazz back then either Smile

I like Ronstadt a lot right now.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12792 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Julie London; as a kid watching "Emergency!" TV Guide, etc. mentioned her as a singer. But the local low powered AM Top 40 or Country stations never played her, of course. Fast forward a number of years; perhaps after her death, heard her and she had a voice and a vibe working for her.

Linda Ronstadt. I hate the illness that's taken her voice.

Posts: 3233 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Annie Lennox. Love her voice. Not a fan of Eurythmics back in the day but since she started her solo career her voice fascinates me.

Do yourself a favor and listen to Stan Getz last recording. People Time with Kenny Barron. Moving.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12169 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’ll search for it.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The original release was a double CD. More recently the full recording was released. IMO the original album is the best pick.

0-0

Posts: 12169 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
If you find you particularly like the piano - sax conversations, i recommend you try these duos

Stan Gets - Kenny Barron
Archie Shepp - Horace Parlan
Art Pepper - George Cables

Think I have at least two albums of each pair.

Some handpicked Sadao Watanabe albums where he plays like Charlie Parker are excellent. Same vein, Charlie Watts

Completely different music but great sounding album: John Abercrombie Night.

0-0

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I think we all (that actually listen to music) go through phases or are at least influenced by the times.

For me during the eighties/nineties ~ I went more through a jazz phase ~ everything from Dave Brubeck (slow) to Vital Information/TribalTech/MarcusMiller (fast) and everything in between.

Back then I sort of ignored Metal ~ only recently did I revive my interest ~ AC/DC, Metallica (especially), Quiet Riot, Ozzie etc.

Not that my tastes changed but more like expanded .
I still love and listen to many other genres ~ love 70's Rock (maybe the best), bigtime Blues fan and early 80's had a bit of punk ~ Blondie/Cars/Ramones....

So appreciating Linda Ronstadt now is nothing wrong with that. Smile

Posts: 22985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Agree. I can go back in time and revisit having shed some prejudices over time. Great findings.

Started pasively listening to Soul music in my early teens. Then it was pop-rock, rock, jazz-rock, classical and jazz.
Followed the Rock trees to the last leaf. Fid the same with Jazz, listening to every single individual from each band or group i liked playing solo or with their own band.

0-0

posted Hide Post
If you like Kent and London, give Melody Gardot a listen.

Tony

Posts: 324 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yup. I’ve been listening to her MOOT cd.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations for jazz sax and bass? Like Getz or Pepper with someone playing bass? Piano is good but sometimes prefer the somber accompaniment of a bass

posted Hide Post
Lola Albright , rosemary Clooney, Annie Lennox, k.d. lang, Donna summer,
Alison Krause. Diana krall
Fleetwood Mac.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54777 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Brown had some sweet performances with a variety of saxophone players on a compilation CD on the Telarc label a few years, um...decades back called "Some Of My Best Friends Are...The Sax Players". However it's not strictly a bass/sax duet collection, since there are other accompanying players as well (drums, piano).

Ron Carter did have a duet collection disc called 'Chemistry' with Houston Pierson on tenor sax from about seven or eight years ago, I think. Carter's bass was at times recorded somewhat forward in prominence and balance with the overall soundstage, at a relatively even keel with Pierson's sax. That was a bit weird for me to get used to that recording shift (since I'm used to having the bass being more in the background as a form support to the structure of a song), but the performances themselves are top of the class. Every so often when I feel the need to listen to Carter I'll stream that disc on Spotify.

-MG

Posts: 2045 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Any recommendations for jazz sax and bass? Like Getz or Pepper with someone playing bass? Piano is good but sometimes prefer the somber accompaniment of a bass

Google find:
Archie Shepp Niels Pedersen Looking at Bird
Ornette Coleman Soapsuds soapsuds

Don Byas and Steward “Indiana” and “I got rythm” songs.

Now i will have to look for those…

0-0

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

No sax, but "Use Me" by Patricia Barber has some great bass. If you have a revealing enough system, you can hear the strings vibrating on the frets.

It's on her "Companion" recording, which also has a blazing rendition of "Black Magic Woman".

Tony

Posts: 324 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eddie Bo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6245 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Searching.....