SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best OST, who are your favorite Directors, Composers and Movies?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best OST, who are your favorite Directors, Composers and Movies? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Some movie directors consistently provide excellent selections for their products. I’m thinking Michael Mann, Eastwood, Besson, Tarantino, R. Scott, etc.

Some composers also shine at their job. One of my favorites is Eric Serra but there are a lot of them, past and present.

Finally, the Soundracks themselves. Some are music scores and others are sellections. More than a few are just perfect.

What are tour pics?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Anything by Ron Goodwin or Enrico Morricone.

Maurice Jarre is no slouch either when it comes to film scores.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/iTPNaUsjksM

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post

Le Grand Bleu. One of my favorite scores from Eric Serra (a Luc Besson movie), check also the music of Leo, the professional and the Fifth Element. Also Serra and Besson collaborations.

Hans Zimmer has an impressive list of unforgettable scores, like Gladiator.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Any Stanley Kubrick film.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ You stole my post.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bh63oQKdus

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Best soundtrack...Last of the Mohicans

Also

Risky Business (Tangerine Dream)

Midnight Express (Giorgio Moroder)

Blade Runner (Vangelis)

Favorite directors:

Michael Mann
Stanley Kubrick
Denis Villeneuve
Ridley Scott
Sam Peckinpah
Milos Forman

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
^ ^ ^ ^ You stole my post.

He was the master of every single frame of every single film. And his scores, wow. 2001, A Clockwork Orange with Ludwig Van, to Eyes Wide Shut. Flawless scoring. Then think Full Metal Jacket, the whole film and the use of which songs.

There isn't anyone even close to Stanley. And he never won an Oscar for direction. Shows you how fucked the Academy is. As time goes on you really realize how brilliant Stanley was and how far ahead of every other director in history he was. Spielberg and other noteworthy directors even admitted to NOT liking 2001 (I think Woody Allen also) when released and even them, didn't get it until say the 2nd or 3rd viewing years later, where they pronounced it a masterpiece.

But Stanley's scores are as good as the frames/cinematography. They are remastering all of Stanley's films in 4k, on 4k disc. Been watching every one of them that releases and impatiently waiting on Barry Lyndon.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Composers_________Movies

John Williams_______Star Wars, Indiana Jones
Jerry Goldsmith_____Patton
Basil Poledouris_____Hunt for Red October, Quigley Down Under, Starship Troopers

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Director -- Selznick
Movie -- Duel In The Sun
Movie --- Its a Wonderful Life

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
First thing that came to my mind was James Horner's work on Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan. He also wrote the soundtrack for Titanic, the best-selling orchestral film soundtrack of all time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post