SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "June 28th 1974 - A Rogue Great White Shark Killed Its First Victim"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"June 28th 1974 - A Rogue Great White Shark Killed Its First Victim" Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted

I watched this for the first time in the early 80's...I was afraid to go in the deep end of the pool and it took me a bit to go out past my knees when we went to the Cape Smile

I still watch this every chance I get!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
YUP!!! I was TERRIFIED to go swimming in a pond and yes...even had my doubts about a swimming pool. Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in. The deep end was where the sharks were.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Great film for it's day! One of my favorite parts..

"In a moment of male bravado and poignancy, shark hunter Quint and shark expert Matt Hooper compete to show their scars. They volley back and forth, showing scars from a St. Patrick's Day brawl, a moray eel, an arm-wrestling contest, a bull shark bite, a thresher shark attack, and (jokingly) a broken heart!" Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Saw it in the late 70’s at 4. You could not pay me to scuba dive to this day. I make an annual trip to surf in the Pacific every year. On one part of the island where I stay half the time I am there, in two successive years people have swam out too far into the channel and got eaten. They think by Tiger Sharks. I get in the water but don’t go very far. Other part of the island where I surf let’s just say I treat it like an LZ.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I did a relay charity swim across Long Island Sound. We had a team of swimmers and you would take 1 hour shifts give or take. After about 30 minutes of swimming, you would start imagining all kinds of shadows, then you’d have some seaweed touch your leg and jump out of your skin. As a kid I struggled snorkeling in the lakes of New Hampshire and Maine after watching Jaws.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was flats fishing in Florida when I noticed movement in the water near my feet. It was a shark! A rather harmless sand shark. But knowing that was not much comfort, since I figured there were probably more sharks nearby. On another trip, I had a Barracuda swim between my feet.
Florida is fun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't even want to go out in the coves in my dad's Whaler. I kept telling him "you're gonna need a bigger boat".

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post

Jaws never bothered me. Now, Jaws 2 freaked me out, when the shark ate the helicopter (makes sense in context). I don't know why, but that really bothered me for some reason (and it wasn't because the movie really REALLY sucked). . .

Jaws was a great movie. The exchange between Hooper and Quint over their scars was one of the finest moments in cinema:

quote:
“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.”

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when Jaws came out. I was going through drivers ed at that time. That was back when they actually offered it in summer school.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Never bothered me and I was a SCUBA diver and later Assistant Instructor of SCUBA for a few years.

Dove until a few years ago and finally gave it up due to increasing age, not fear of sharks.

Having said that, I've often told people that the only thing I'm afraid of is the Great White and that's true.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The scene in which Robert Shaw talks about the Indianapolis is the best scene in Jaws and send chills up my spine every time I hear it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The scene in which Robert Shaw talks about the Indianapolis is the best scene in Jaws and send chills up my spine every time I hear it.

I remember watching the story on that scene. Robert Shaw got really drunk, not only because he was an alcoholic anyways but he wanted it to be authentic. So he over did it and the scene didnt go so well. The next day they reshot the scene, but he made sure to stay sober for it- nailed it on the first take.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Heard just the other day that one of the reasons the first girl's death scene was so convincing is that she actually broke a rib during the filming because of how hard they were jerking her back and forth on the harness. So her pain was real pain, not acting.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that even with your eyes closed you can still picture in your mind this scene when you hear this intro...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
That scene where they are talking about scars and the Indianapolis is one of the best scenes ever filmed for movies. Much like the scene between Pacino and De Niro in Heat. It takes to story to a new level.

Years ago I heard a comedian say the definition of a bad ass was somebody who could go swimming while the theme from Jaws played. Big Grin

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

This is silly. Everyone knows pool sharks only come out at night.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is silly. Everyone knows pool sharks only come out at night.

LOL! Fact check true Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Don’t joke about pool sharks man. Smile

I was one of those kids who saw jaws far too young and I do indeed remember being scared of Jaws “sneaking up on me” in a pool. Then at some point I realized Jaws was pretty much bigger then the pool I was in. Ohhhh I was still scared but at least that sonofabitch couldn’t sneak up on me. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I remember the big scare for people who saw it at the theater was this scene:

My mother took me to see this for my birthday. I thought she would leave a bruise she pinched my thigh so hard.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post