SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Logans' Run TV show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Logans' Run TV show Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I hadn't seen it since the 1970s. Not bad at all for vintage sci fi watching a few episodes on TubiTV free app.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Logan's Run...that brings back memories. Growing up on the Sci-Fi of the time and having seen the (censored) version on network TV, I watched the Logan's Run TV series as though my life depended on it...but there was one 'life-shattering' problem I had to deal with regarding that show.

Back then there were no DVD recorders and the very first Betamax/ VHS VCR recorders were just barely coming onto the market, and we certainly didn't have one... but I did have a cheap cassette tape recorder, and at that I age I figured having the audio was better than nothing. I spent some of my allowance money buying blank cassettes and recording shows like Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and of course, Logan's Run. When one of these shows was on I'd sit inches from the TV so that I could hold my tape recorder right next to the speaker in the TV. Trying to save my 'expensive' cassettes and avoid having to record a show on 2 separate cassettes, I'd turn the recorder off during commercial breaks, and then scramble to mash both buttons down to record the moment the show came back on.

My 'life shattering' problem kicked in due to a conflict in show scheduling. IIRC, Logan's Run came on Monday nights at 8 PM... but my younger sister was as big a fan of the TV show Little house on the Prairie as I was of LR, and it came on in the same time slot, on a different channel.

Dad got tired of us arguing over what channel we were going to watch on our only TV, so he implemented a policy where each week we had to swap, one week we watched 'her' show, the next week we watched 'my' show. I grew up hating Little House on the Prairie, although years later I grew to realize it was actually a pretty good show.

Not long ago, I went down an internet rabbit hole, think it might have been IMDB, and while reading about the death of the actress that played Jessica 6 I came across a lot of criticism of the TV series. I don't remember it being that bad... but those are from the memories of a not very discerning boy.

The TV series only lasted one season, so I guess it wasn't much of a commercial success. Part of me wants to rewatch some of the TV episodes just to see the shows of my youth, and part of me thinks I'll be disappointed if I do watch them.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I get that 100%. People below a certain age will have zero idea what we're going on about.

I'm rewatching them (also seeing some for the first time) to rewatch one particular episode. IDK if they change vehicles part way through the season, but the one they are driving early on isn't the one I remember.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I have the vaguest of recollections of the same thing. I seem to recall that they picked up some sort of hovercraft on one of their weekly adventure episode pitstops. Like maybe they discovered an ancient lab and found it there. Maybe it was when they found their "Tin Man" Wink sidekick (Rem).

This IMDB link has some photos from the TV series, including a couple partial ones of the vehicle/ hovermobile. Maybe one of them will help jog your memory.

IMDB - Logan's Run TV show

I just remembered that I used to collect issues of a Sci-Fi magazine back then called Starlog , that delved into the various background info from the movies and TV shows of that era...interviews with writers/ directors/ actors, and especially interviews with costumers, prop masters and special effects wizards of the day. Mostly the behind-the-scenes nerdy stuff, along with scoops about upcoming projects.

I've always been interested in guns, including Sci-Fi guns, and I loved the Sandman blasters. Made a couple poor copies with my Legos back when the show was on. I recall one of my Starlog issues had the blueprint for the Sandman blaster. It was supposedly propane based. I used to stare at that blueprint and look at stuff around the house and garage and try to figure out how to make one. I had my eyes on the propane tanks on our tiny beat up family camper, but I never did figure out the gun part. Big Grin

Now you got me curious so be sure and report back here if you figure the hovermobile landspeeder gizmo out.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I watched it as well as Space 1999.

As a young adult I had moved to Texas and was visiting Fort Worth and we were walking through some park in downtown . . . and then I was on the set of Logans Run . . . OMG. It was like I was a kid again Smile

Forth Worth Water Gardens:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I watched it as well as Space 1999.

As a young adult I had moved to Texas and was visiting Fort Worth and we were walking through some park in downtown . . . and then I was on the set of Logans Run . . . OMG. It was like I was a kid again Smile

Forth Worth Water Gardens:

I've been rewatching Space 1999 and UFO online ,

I vaguely remember Logan's run, the series,

I also bought Star Trek the Animated series on DVD several years ago,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Heather Menzies Who portrayed Jessica in that series had quite the Career. Having played Louisa von trapp in the sound of music. She later made a guest appearance on the tv show SWAT and met Robert Urich. They would soon marry until his early passing. After Urich's death in 2002, Menzies established the Robert Urich Foundation and spent most of her time in her last years devoted to the organization, which raises money for cancer research and support for cancer patients. Heather left us way too early in 2017. Very good looking lady.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post