SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help me identify an older WW2 film

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Help me identify an older WW2 film Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I'm racking my brain, trying to recall a film I saw several years ago. It may have been on TCM.

It was a WW2 film, about a German soldier, set at the very end of the war on the Western Front. Part of the movie involved a trip to a rear area (possibly his home) on a temporary leave pass. One scene in particular stands out, where he was stopped and investigated by a Feldgendarme (military policeman) to make sure he wasn't a deserter trying to sneak home. The latter part of the movie involved him trying to convince a group of stubborn German officers holed up in a fort to surrender to the Americans/British.

I believe the film was in black and white, and likely shot relatively recently after the end of the war (40s/50s/maybe early 60s). It featured a lot of authentic German military equipment and uniforms. Unfortunately, I don't fully recall whether it was in English or in German.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm racking my brain, trying to recall a film I saw several years ago. It may have been on TCM.

It was a WW2 film, about a German soldier, set at the very end of the war on the Western Front. Part of the movie involved a trip to a rear area (possibly his home) on a temporary leave pass. One scene in particular stands out, where he was stopped and investigated by a Feldgendarme (military policeman) to make sure he wasn't a deserter trying to sneak home. The latter part of the movie involved him trying to convince a group of stubborn German officers holed up in a fort to surrender to the Americans/British.

I believe the film was in black and white, and likely shot relatively recently after the end of the war (40s/50s/maybe early 60s). It featured a lot of authentic German military equipment and uniforms. Unfortunately, I don't fully recall whether it was in English or in German.

Ring a bell for anyone?

sounds a bit like All Quiet on the Western Front, a WWI book/film. But the trying to talk officers into surrendering doesn't ring a bell.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it could be "A Time to Love and A Time to Die" (1958)

I saw it back in Korea with Korean subtitles. Starring John Gavin.

Edited to add: similarity to All Quiet on your he Western Front is not an accident. Both novels were writt n by Erich Maria Remarque

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
sounds a bit like All Quiet on the Western Front, a WWI book/film. But the trying to talk officers into surrendering doesn't ring a bell.

That's not what I'm thinking of. This film was definitely WW2.

quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
Sounds like it could be "A Time to Love and A Time to Die" (1958)

Hmm... Closer, but I don't think that's it either.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ring a bell for anyone?

It sounds like you may be thinking of "Decision Before Dawn", made in post-war West Germany in 1951. Good film. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_Before_Dawn

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
It sounds like you may be thinking of "Decision Before Dawn", made in post-war West Germany in 1951. Good film. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_Before_Dawn

Boom. That's it. Thank you! That was driving me crazy.

My memory was hazy on why he was traveling behind the lines. He wasn't going home on leave; he was working as a spy and trying to sneak through Germany to find the army corps that wanted to surrender.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Or was it "Cross of Iron"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Not at all. It was definitely "Decision Before Dawn".

Good film, though.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Not at all. It was definitely "Decision Before Dawn".

Good film, though.

The 4 leads in Cross of Iron could act circles around any 4 current "actors".

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post