SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix Triple Frontier
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix Triple Frontier Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
SPOILERS

They lost me at the helicopter.

"We're way overweight!"

"Screw it. Lets fly anyway."

"Wait, we have like $250 million dollars. Call that guy back and see if we can buy another chopper. Or pay the boat to wait and we'll make two trips. Or we can hide this stuff somewhere safe and come back later."

"Nah. Overloaded chopper over the mountains. Be sure to not put the loot where we can toss part of it out if we need to. It's all or nothing."

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
Oh, the fire, too. Real SF guys wouldn't have done something that stupid, particularly in such an open place.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
While easy to insert, stupid, boneheaded moment into a script, such actions do occur to real SOF guys. These guys were out for awhile, more focused on their own problems and short-comings in civ-life, self-preservation had become a larger character trait for each of them.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Interesting characters, superb cinematography, meh plot.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Biggest nit is Afleck wearing what looked like an orange shirt-jac. Without giving away too much, if you're on an op, WTF! are you wearing a non-earth tone, not dark colored piece of clothing? Eek Mad This may be intentional by the director/producer to make Afleck stand-out against the dark and heavily shadowed environment, nonetheless, the rest of the cast was wearing acceptable colored clothing so...WTF production team?

I could chalk that up to - by the time he busted that garment out to wear he intended to be out of the tactical portion of the trip... ie the Op would be over by then...

Probably would have wanted suppressors though (although they did mention locally sourced gear...)

-------------------------------------------

The OP had two phases, the actual hit, then the movement over the Andes.
Suppressors would've been ideal, during the hit since it was indoors however, when sourcing locally, you deal with what you got. Was more put-off with everyone wearing vests & plate carriers...a no-no in tropic environments, especially since the second half of the mission will require cross-terrain, long-distance movement. Assuming they mainly operated in SW Asia, tropical environs and it's unique demands, they may not have been all that familiar with. Roll Eyes

About that second-half of the mission, you would've expected each of them to have at-least some kind of E&E kit, they were transitioning from one environment to another, contingency planning is what SOF does in spades. The ponchos were good, non-mil/outdoor looking gear is good, I'm still disagreeing about an orange shirt-jac...nobody is wearing that bright a color unless you're in the city going to a disco or, wearing your favorite soccer club kit. Maps/GPS, ground familiarity, would've been good to see another character focused on movement planning and route planning options; this is supposedly a broken-up ODA after all. Water; tropic environ then, high altitude, water is paramount, water remarkably was not an issue...huh? Those of us who are familiar with, can pick this movie apart on details alone, there's a high likelihood the directors/producers had advisors in their ear about certain aspects but had to pick their battle or, choose to overlook/ignore them in favor of moving the story along.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The OP had two phases, the actual hit, then the movement over the Andes.
Suppressors would've been ideal, during the hit since it was indoors however, when sourcing locally, you deal with what you got. Was more put-off with everyone wearing vests & plate carriers...a no-no in tropic environments, especially since the second half of the mission will require cross-terrain, long-distance movement.

Well, to be fair, their original plan for exfiltration was a drive to the airfield and a helicopter ride to the coast. They didn't anticipate Scrooge McAffleck wanting to take the original estimated haul x5.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good example of tunnel vision and target fixation. The "mission" was to take all the $ and kill the drug lord.

So; they focused on accomplishing their mission as always. Contingency planning didn't include thinking "what if there is too much money?" Can't really blame them for that, don't know if I'd have considered triple the amount of money they were expecting!

The right answer of course would be take what we were expecting plus an extra bag or two, burn the house and get out.

Yeah, simply making 2X helicopter trips over the Andes would have also been a too-easy solution! Big Grin

The fire didn't bother me, it wasn't a mistake. He said no, the other dude just rebelled and said F-it. It was just a breakdown in discipline. How do you maintain discipline when duty, chain of command, UCMJ is all out the window and you are all just in it for the money?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It was decent.

Kind of obvious the gorging on all the money was the downfall.
Greed kills. Frown

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife an I liked it (she was really into it) but I was pretty damned impressed those guys humped over the peak of the Andes without food, water, or warm weather gear while bringing a butt ton of cash with them in a bucket brigade fashion. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
SPOILERS

They lost me at the helicopter.

"We're way overweight!"

"Screw it. Lets fly anyway."

"Wait, we have like $250 million dollars. Call that guy back and see if we can buy another chopper. Or pay the boat to wait and we'll make two trips. Or we can hide this stuff somewhere safe and come back later."

"Nah. Overloaded chopper over the mountains. Be sure to not put the loot where we can toss part of it out if we need to. It's all or nothing."

Thank you. Thought the same thing.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Just watched. Meh...

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets fly it anyway. Over the Andes. Umm, no.

That being said I still enjoyed it.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Our Triple frontier is Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina. Lots of bad shit going on there.
At first I thought these bozos we're working in Mexico... my mistake.
The first action scene was completely dumb at best. Their tactics... what tactics, there were none.
Then the story puts you in Brazil and I think to myself, yes it is the triple border I'm thinking of. Right up north. But then the clowns are headed for Peru and the Andes and geography isn't helping at all.

Can anyone read a map?

Wish I could get my time back. Terrible, terrible movie.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I believe the helicopter was capable of that load.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
What did they leave with originally? $250 million? It'd be interesting to see what that would look like physically, and the weight. Wiki says the Mil Mi-8 has a payload of ~8,800 pound. Knock maybe 1,500 for the guys and their gear...what's 6,500 pounds of $100s equal?

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Okay, so $250 million in $100 bills weighs ~ 5,506 pounds.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
what's 6,500 pounds of $100s equal?

And the helo couldn't haul it but one van could?

Riiiiiiiight. Roll Eyes

Despite that, it was somewhat entertaining and worth the watch IMO. A decent waste of two hours.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
what's 6,500 pounds of $100s equal?

And the helo couldn't haul it but one van could?

Riiiiiiiight. Roll Eyes

Despite that, it was somewhat entertaining and worth the watch IMO. A decent waste of two hours.

Two vans.

Loaded into a Mi-17 which has an approx lift capacity of 8,000lb....5-guys, internal cargo, full fuel and a sling load. Tall order to move it over the Andes, pray the helo works as advertised. Not knowing if fuel is an issue, would've been better to move everything in two-lifts over the hump or, just stick to the original plan, but, then we wouldn't have a movie.

posted Hide Post
How much money does a man need?

***spoiler below***

At least they took out the right character.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
"We're just gonna leave $50 million sitting ___________?"

I think Aflac said this exact line 4 times. Glad he died.

Pretty good cast, though. I like Isaac and Pascal and had just recently watched Papillon with Charlie Hunnam.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I kept trying to forget it was Benjamin in this until he took it in the head!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post