SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Come and See (1985 film)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Come and See (1985 film) Login/Join 
posted
I came across this film while I was researching war films recommended by members on SIGforum; it was in the "more like this" recommendations, on one of the IMDB pages. The image and high score got my attention. I followed the link, and was further intrigued, but ultimately decided to bypass it at the time, due to it being on the "heavy" end of the spectrum; I just wasn't in the mood for a Schindler's List or Thin Red Line type of film. Then, not even a week later, my wife mentions it; she had come across it in her own research of war films. At that point, it seemed we were meant to watch it, so we got it transferred from another library; we got the Criterion edition, though we never did view the extra content. As is sometimes the case, especially with a film like this, I think it takes some of the edge off, when you look "behind the scenes". This movie has quite the edge, and it'd be a shame to dull it.

My overall impression is that I'd never own it, and likely wouldn't watch it again, but I am glad to have seen it. Criterion describes it as "visceral", which I'd say is accurate. I'd also describe it as engrossing; a movie hasn't held my attention like that in a long time. I found that it occupied my brain when I wasn't watching it, more so than is typical. My wife and I typically consume a movie in thirty or forty-minute chunks, over three or four days. I thought about this film a good bit, in those in-between times, and found myself eager to watch more, which is uncommon for me, with movies that aren't necessarily "fun"; sometimes I dread watching more of something, though it be good, due to it's subject matter; not the case here. Criterion's summary also describes it as an "anti-war" film. I think that most films that accurately portray conflicts, in up-close detail, could be described as anti-war. As examples: I wasn't itching to hop in a time machine to go fight in the pacific after seeing Hacksaw Ridge or The Pacific, and I feel for the men that did experience those atmospheres. This film doesn't showcase any conventional war film heroic behavior, but it isn't "anti war" in the leftist sort of way. It is anti-war in the way it depicts disgusting and reprehensible human behavior, and there's no arguing our potential for that. There are no professional German soldiers depicted in this film; there are only nazis; full-on brainwashed nazis: both cowardly and committed. Any film portrayal of such men and their behavior can be described as anti-war, and certainly anti-nazi.

It's only detractor, in my opinion, is it seems to stray a bit into what you could call "artsy" territory; there a couple very odd scenes. I still found them interesting, and they certainly held my attention, but I couldn't help but feel a bit confused; my wife and I looked at each other and said what the f**k?.

It can only be briefly outlined, for fear of spoiling the experience. A young Russian boy joins a Partisan unit, in hopes of doing his part in the fight against the nazis.

I recommend it. It is in Russian; so, if you don't like subtitles, then maybe stay away. I definitely recommend it to the film nerds on the forum; there's probably a lot for that crowd, in this film. I'd am also interested to hear what those who have seen it think of it.

Edited to add: Though it is certainly anti-war, my wife and I both agreed that, whether intentional or not, it is sure-enough pro-gun. You couldn't ask for a better illustration of the importance of "weapons of war" for all. The movie's opening scene is the boy's pursuit of a rifle, and it is a constant symbol throughout the film. The loss of life that would have been prevented, had these people been able to defend themselves, is significant. It's amazing that the current anti-gun mindset convinces itself otherwise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed review. I'm very familiar with the movie but have only seen seen small parts. It is intense to say the very least. For the WW2 afficionados, the German/SS uniforms and weapons as so simply spot-on it is remarkable...because the Soviets kept EVERYTHING after the "Great Patritoic War."

Posts: 3538 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an additional comment on the realism of weapons and equipment: I did read a trivia point, in passing, that mentioned the use of live ammunition being fired past actors. I didn't dig deeper into the trivia and, as previously stated, don't intend to, but I think I know the scene being described, and I wouldn't doubt the use of live rounds.

We just finished it last night, and I find it the main occupant of my brain so far today. I am sure I'll add some points to this thread through the day. As another right now, I will say that there is an absolute absence of amy pretension in this film. I said earlier that a couple parts are "artsy", but they might be better described as surreal. There is absolutely no feeling of "look at how clever of a filmmaker I am" in this movie. The director applies a unique style, but it is never ever try-hard, and never detracts from the experience.

Edit: I realize these two comments of mine potentially contradict...

"but I couldn't help but feel a bit confused; my wife and I looked at each other and said what the f**k?"

"never ever try-hard, and never detracts from the experience"

...I am still processing the movie; give me a break, for now.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I got the DVD because I couldn't find a source at that time and it is pretty much characterized as "must see". I'm in no hurry to watch it again but I'm sure I will.

For all else that deserves discussion about the film, it portrays generational animosities among Belarus, Russia, Ukraine that surely resonate today. On that level alone yeah, must see.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's movies like this that help you understand the deep hatred the Russians and Belorussians and others in that region still harbor toward the Germans. Eek

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Excellent film, I saw it years ago after reading a list of films in an article of movies you must see "before you die". Agree, it stays with you.

Another film in the same vein is "Hatred" (Volhynia in Polish) that portrayed Polish and Ukrainian ethnic violence during WWII. It is also difficult to watch and will stay with you.
Link

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hard to watch is a good way to describe it.

(And I've seen it a few times, recommend it to people (that I think will be able to watch it) and own it on DVD)

Hard to watch because of the subject matter, but also because of the odd cinematic style and just quality of it to an extent)

Several "Oh my God" moments in the film for sure.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This movie and “Grave of the Fireflies” are really, really hard to watch but give an incredible outside perspective on a war that isn’t “real” to me because of how long ago it was. Must see, would recommend it to anyone who is watching and knows what they are seeing, and would likely not willingly watch it again.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post