SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lynyrd Skynyrd
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lynyrd Skynyrd Login/Join 
posted
Still my favorite band. Saw them once in concert as a teenager.
Such a terrible ending, plane crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm7bkVxBXdA
Freebird

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I saw them a few months before the accident in Anaheim CA with Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon, and Foreigner.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
On my Top Five too!

Incredible jams. Cool

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Saw them touring “Pronounced” in a 250 seat concert bar. What would have been…

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I remember three things that year, very vividly.

First, was on a greyhound, and stopped at a Rest stop/gas station on the Kansas Turnpike and the bus driver stepped back on the bus and stated: "Folks, just heard the news that Elvis Presley has died."

The second, I was in a hotel room in KCMO and had the radio on, it was evening and I was leaning on the open window sill watching the folks in the street, car and people sounds, and the DJ came on and stated the band carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd had crashed.

The third. I was married the day before the crash.

- Mr. Breeze

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great music. They are some good old boys from way back. Saw them around 96-97 at the old Caesar’s palace Lake Tahoe. After the show they were gambling at the $5 tables playing blackjack.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never liked them after the Saturday Night Special song. I distinctly remember when Maryland passed a "Saturday Night Special" ban in the late 1980's. There was a referendum campaign to overturn the law. I was involved in it and I had the lyrics to that song quoted to me on more then one occasion. I always thought of the plane crash as karma.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna buy myself a shotgun,one with a long shiny barrel!

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite band along with Alabama and Rebel Son. The latter is no politically correct!

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw them in Lake Charles, LA back in the day. Can't remember what year any more. Probably a 6500 seat auditorium. Great concert. They had a big rebel flag up behind the drummer. Its important for people not from the South to understand that white kids in the 70s and 80s didn't see that flag as racist symbol, but as a sign of Southern pride.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have been a big fan since I heard their first album back in 1973. Saw the original band three times including the 1977 tour and the post crash band three times, all were good shows. Had all the record albums up to 1977, even had the Street Survivor album with the flames on the cover, gone now. I likes me some Southern Rock and they were right at the top.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
They had a big rebel flag up behind the drummer. Its important for people not from the South to understand that white kids in the 70s and 80s didn't see that flag as racist symbol, but as a sign of Southern pride.

Tom Petty had used the flag for his stage setup and tour merchandise on his Southern Accents tour in the mid eighties. But of course the woke mob got a hold of him and he apologized years later.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Lynyrd Skynyrd's drummer, Artemis Pyle, lives a couple miles from me. I've met him a few times in local stores, very down to earth and likable.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I have been a big fan since I heard their first album back in 1973. Saw the original band three times including the 1977 tour and the post crash band three times, all were good shows. Had all the record albums up to 1977, even had the Street Survivor album with the flames on the cover, gone now. I likes me some Southern Rock and they were right at the top.

I have the album with the flames in the background. After the plane crash just a black background.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Saw them in Lake Charles, LA back in the day. Can't remember what year any more. Probably a 6500 seat auditorium. Great concert. They had a big rebel flag up behind the drummer. Its important for people not from the South to understand that white kids in the 70s and 80s didn't see that flag as racist symbol, but as a sign of Southern pride.

Amen! I love the old south, not a damn thing with race to me. It’s just South, Deep South. Country South. I even tolerate the Kudzu & bugs.

+

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post