Find
Notify
Tools

1883 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Anyone else watching the, "Prequel" to Yellowstone? It started slow, but I really am enjoying it. Sam Elliott got old, but he's still a badass. Harshness of frontier life on open display. Billy Bob Thornton was brutal in his portrayal of Marshall Jim Courtright.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11759 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How do you view it?

**edit**

Never mind. I see now. No subscription services for me.

Posts: 107433 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I watched the series premier which was offered free on YouTube and thought it was a well made, gritty, tough presentation of the old west. Sam Elliot did get old, but he handled his part well.

I would like to see other episodes, but I refuse to pay a subscription to do so.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I prefer to not support anti gun commies such as Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.

I prefer to not support shitty actors such as Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG228,

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Class?

Posts: 107433 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All together now...

"No politics in a non-political thread!"

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

I haven't started it yet, just getting into Mayor of Kingstown

Should I watch Yellowstone first? I have only watched the first episode, trying to figure a way to watch the rest.

Posts: 5315 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
1883 was running last evening on CMT from 8:00pm 'til 12:10am. Fabulous!

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess this is a better place for this comment. Para, the first 2 or 3 episodes of 1883 are available on Paramount, as a teaser, without subscription.

This exchange took place in episode 2 of 1883, the Yellowstone prequel. [it’s night as a group rides out]

“I can’t see.”

“Follow the horse in front of you and watch his hooves sparkin’ off the rocks.”

[camera shows sparks flickering like fireflies as the horses ride single file through the grass. Not a sound of horseshoe striking rocks.]

Also,
Who knew there were Herefords brushed up along the Brazos with the wild longhorns?

We lasted two or three episodes of Yellowstone, and couldn’t take it anymore. Had some hope for 1883 with Sam Elliot in it, but that scene I quoted above is one of the silliest things I have EVER heard in a Western. I don’t get it. Same with Yellowstone, how hard would it be to have someone present to say, “Hey, wait a minute! That’s really stupid, nobody would say or do that.”

I really like some of the things that Taylor Sheridan has done. I think Wind River is a great movie. Both Sicarios have redeeming features, but Jeezus…

Posts: 13223 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I guess this is a better place for this comment. Para, the first 2 or 3 episodes of 1883 are available on Paramount, as a teaser, without subscription.

This exchange took place in episode 2 of 1883, the Yellowstone prequel. [it’s night as a group rides out]

“I can’t see.”

“Follow the horse in front of you and watch his hooves sparkin’ off the rocks.”

[camera shows sparks flickering like fireflies as the horses ride single file through the grass. Not a sound of horseshoe striking rocks.]

Also,
Who knew there were Herefords brushed up along the Brazos with the wild longhorns?

We lasted two or three episodes of Yellowstone, and couldn’t take it anymore. Had some hope for 1883 with Sam Elliot in it, but that scene I quoted above is one of the silliest things I have EVER heard in a Western. I don’t get it. Same with Yellowstone, how hard would it be to have someone present to say, “Hey, wait a minute! That’s really stupid, nobody would say or do that.”

I really like some of the things that Taylor Sheridan has done. I think Wind River is a great movie. Both Sicarios have redeeming features, but Jeezus…

Sounds great!

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm all caught up with Yellowstone and 1883. So far, it's a good series. The daughter's voice overs are a bit over dramatic, but I can deal with it to see Sam Elliot kick ass.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17267 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the first three episodes of 1883 last week and then decided to start watching Yellowstone. Most of the way through the first season so I guess I'm hooked now.

Posts: 2474 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Do y'all recommend watching Yellowstone first? If so, why?

Posts: 5315 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Yellowstone is about the current (fictional) Yellowstone ranch in Montana. 1883 is a story about how the Yellowstone was started.

It may develop that 1883 is a good starting point for both series but it's too early to tell.

FWIW, I visited Montana 20 years ago. My host, a long time Montana resident, talked about the land grabs and outsiders buying property and changing the culture and landscape. Yellowstone carries that theme to a more extreme level. Take it with a grain of salt but it has a basis in reality. IMHO the music, cameos by real rodeo stars, the scenery and the riding are all pretty good.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Starting out it kind of reminds me of Lonesome Dove.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

I had never watched Yellowstone until the past couple weeks, after I watched the first three episodes of 1883. My wife and I have been binge-watching it and are caught up now to the 4th season (just saw the episode that intro's the characters from 1883). I don't think it matters much what order you watch them.

Posts: 2474 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Starting out it kind of reminds me of Lonesome Dove.

Posts: 13223 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My question is:

Why has no one given Para an invite to their Plex server yet? My god he should have access to like at least a dozen of us on this forum, if not more.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the first installments of 1883 on Paramount. Then it disappeared. Apparently it’s on a pay channel now that I have to pay for. A pay channel that has little else of interest as far as I know.

Guess I’m a dumb ass dinosaur not knowing this in the beginning. I don’t keep up with the latest in tech and cultural trends very well.

I don’t like cheap bait and switch promotions. Bye 1883.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Ok so who has a user name/p word they would like to share via a PM? asking for a friend.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post