Find
Notify
Tools

1883 Login/Join 
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Good thing they are not going to Alaska. She would be marrying an Eskimo next!

Ironically, the dude who plays the Indian is from Alaska.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused...am I watching a Western about westward expansionism, social mores of the American frontier and the challenges of immigration & cultural adaption or, is this a young women's, coming-of-age drama set in 1883?

I've not read Laura Ingalls Wilder or, Louisa May Alcott but, I'm imaging this is what I'd come across.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I heard this one was done and the next would be 1932. Almost 50 years later.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that Paramount ordered a couple more episodes of 1883, but not calling it a full second season. My guess is they will do a couple episodes that set up the first few years in Montana and then jump ahead to the '30s for another full season. Young John from 1883 would be in his late 50s by then. About the same age as Costner's character.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Started to go downhill badly for me. Is there any dude she doesn't talk to and then bang? Now she's marrying the Comanche after knowing for for a whole couple of days or so? WTF.

I guess you were never young. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Glad the show is out of its misery.
First episode was good then progressively down hill after that.
The last episode was the worst!
Its like they could not wait to end it in 10 minutes or less.
What a waste of Sam Elliot's talent.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

Completely agree.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally wrapped up the final 3-episodes...

The show is underwhelming, its not horrible, however it plodded along and offered too much reflection and introspection by Elsa.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
1883 had a lot good things going for it but the storyline was off.
Too drawn out and harping on the hardships.
I won't say it was bad but could have been sooo much better.
I just feels incomplete to me.
The writing was not good.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Started to go downhill badly for me. Is there any dude she doesn't talk to and then bang? Now she's marrying the Comanche after knowing for for a whole couple of days or so? WTF.

I guess you were never young. Frown

Not THAT young, no. I had more brains than that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm confused...am I watching a Western about westward expansionism, social mores of the American frontier and the challenges of immigration & cultural adaption or, is this a young women's, coming-of-age drama set in 1883?

I've not read Laura Ingalls Wilder or, Louisa May Alcott but, I'm imaging this is what I'd come across.

Her overly dramatic narration got real old. Then when she road around in the cold with the blue tank top on and her hair flowing for all to see I had to laugh at how ridiculous it was.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

Completely agree.

Disagree. The opening of Episode 6, Boring the Devil, when Shea is consoling Elsa should win him an Emmy. Or, it would have until he called out Power of the Dog for being a piece of shit. Which it is. But Hollywood will not tolerate that. It hates an apostate.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Maybe because I watched with the GF and she’s a cryer, but I really enjoyed the whole season and and thought that they did a pretty damn good job depicting the dangers of living in that time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A good review of the show…

1883: Amazon's visceral, violent Yellowstone prequel presents an even wilder west

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sick of Tyler Sheridan. He had to show how good he was with horses in Yellowstone. His shows should be on the Lifetime network. BTW I read Little Women and that book was better than this show.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I watched the first episode tonight.

I agree with some of the comments here, but will give it a chance of a few more.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38600 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I binged it over the last couple days and finished it last night. Honestly it was terrible. The first couple of episodes were good and I wanted to finish it to see the backstory of Yellowstone, but that ending was not even close to worth it.

Around halfway though the 3rd episode I started fast forwarding whenever Jennifer Lawrence started her voice over nonsense. I also fast forwarded through a lot of scenes with her with just one other person, and definitely if the other person was her mom. I still caught her love interests. I never felt lost and probably saved 2 hours of stupid nonsense.

I think if someone edited her almost completely out of the show it would be an okay show and would be better than watching it as is.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
…is this a young women's, coming-of-age drama set in 1883?

That’s exactly what it was and it was terrible.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Always interesting how guys with such similar interests can differ so much on what is considered quality TV or movie entertainment.

Personally I thought 1883 was fantastic and was fully drawn into the story. And by the way, that was not Jennifer Lawrence it was Isabel May.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Always interesting how guys with such similar interests can differ so much on what is considered quality TV or movie entertainment.

Personally I thought 1883 was fantastic and was fully drawn into the story. And by the way, that was not Jennifer Lawrence it was Isabel May.

Lol. Well that’s the second time in as many days that I misidentified an actor. I’ll have to start double checking who I’m talking about I guess since it’s clear I can’t tell most of them apart from each other. I’ve never even heard of her before. She looks a lot like Jennifer Lawarence though.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Pale Horse,

What’s funny about that is there are multiple internet discussions about how often she is mistaken for Jennifer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ