SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie - The Northman. Yes or no?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie - The Northman. Yes or no? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I tried searching the forum a few different ways and could not find anything related to the film.

Have you seen it, What do you think? Worth 2+ hours?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12299 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The Drinker liked it FWIW

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I thought it was garbage, at least it was free on Peacock

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Awful

Posts: 13155 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long, very weird, and pretty boring in places. The bits of ultraviolence don’t quite make up for it.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty good. Slow paced at times, but not necessarily slow. Some surrealistic stuff but it made sense. Did not shy away from showing Vikings as the assholes they were.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
My wife dragged me to see it because she loves the lead actor.
After an hour or so, I punched myself in the forehead until I passed out.
Broke a couple fingers too. Painful yes. But not as painful as watching that movie.

Posts: 540 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I rented the 4k disc this month as there are so few new releases on disc. It hasn’t shipped yet. I’ll review it once I see it. The disc is Dolby Cinema (Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos) so at least if it sucks, well I hope PQ and audio are on point.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I agreed. It was awful. Like really awful.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
We streamed it on Peacock a couple days ago. I am honestly considering suing for compensation for the time spent watching it. It was awful.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wow. This is so the opposite of what I was expecting to hear!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12299 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The replies surprise me. I have a friend who saw it and said it was really and that I would love it. She likes history and violent flicks and said it was a decent blend of both. Now I’m incredibly curious. Are we talking more Valhalla Rising type tone, or Thirteenth Warrior?

Vikings the show has led to a slew of content about Norse raiders, some of it decent and some of it absolutely awful. I forget what it was even called, but I watched a flick a few months ago that felt like it was written by a third grader.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well enjoy it. Especially the weird as fuck son and father routine they enjoy together at the beginning. My wife and I almost stopped it there. We should have. Wtaf? Your friend should lose her movie picking rights. This movie sucks.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Wow. This is so the opposite of what I was expecting to hear!

Well, don't say we didn't warn you!

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Punching myself on the head.

Why didn´t I think of that!!!

Terrible movie. Terrible.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12088 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The replies surprise me. I have a friend who saw it and said it was really and that I would love it. She likes history and violent flicks and said it was a decent blend of both. Now I’m incredibly curious. Are we talking more Valhalla Rising type tone, or Thirteenth Warrior?

Vikings the show has led to a slew of content about Norse raiders, some of it decent and some of it absolutely awful. I forget what it was even called, but I watched a flick a few months ago that felt like it was written by a third grader.

Think of it as Conan the Barbarian set amongst Vikings, but with a hallucinogenic theme. There was a love story. There was violence. It was beautifully set and shot. It was an interesting take on the hero’s tale.

I enjoyed it, but then I like strange movies with a character development.

I wouldn’t compare it to The Thirteenth Warrior. I haven’t seen Valhalla Rising. I would compare it to The Green Knight.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'll dissent I suppose.
I thought it was an awesome movie. The director has his own style for sure and it's not just a straight up action flick. Kinda surreal feeling.
It's definitely a man's movie though. Best watched in the absence of women.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
The trailers tell of a completely different movie than what was actually released. I'd say if you enjoyed the director's other movies, notably The VVitch and Lighthouse, you'll enjoy The Northman. Slow as hell, well shot, but everything storywise is laid-out for you and due to the director's style, right in your face.

Personally, I think the story was good, actors were great but overall it was "meh" and would've benefitted from a different director.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I liked it.

Posts: 11505 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Think of it as Shakespeare played by Vikings.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post