SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    This looks fun-The Tomorrrow War-Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This looks fun-The Tomorrrow War-Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Overall I give it a 6/10. Slightly above average, perhaps worth a watch if you have nothing better to do but this isn't a movie I'd rewatch in its entirety.

I’m right here as well. There has been such a lack of originality coming out of Hollywood over the last decade combined with COVID that mediocre movies seem better than they should.

Posts: 2948 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Aaaaaaand there's the plot twist.

Not bad. Good time waster.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
From a xenobiological perspective, the White Spikes (which has to rank highly on the "Dumb Alien Names" list) don't look like a species that could have mastered interstellar travel.

So I'm waiting for a plot twist.

They didn't, they were just cargo.

In a way, they were like Aliens, except they're white. (which kinda sounds weird Wink )

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I can think of several guns they needed but did not have overall. I have two questions without trying to give anything away. What caliber rifle was dad using on the queen? What would YOU use in a similar situation?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
I can think of several guns they needed but did not have overall. I have two questions without trying to give anything away. What caliber rifle was dad using on the queen? What would YOU use in a similar situation?

Looks like an AR based .308 or .338 Lapua. I'd lean towards the .338 Lapua based on the size of the magazine which looks like it could hold .50BMG

What would I use? The 2 most powerful calibers I own are 30-06 and 12 Gauge, both of which might tickle her. I'm thinking some close air support would do the trick.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Movie killed some time and was enjoyable. I like monster movies and I like Chris Pratt for the aforementioned aspects.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was hoping this aspect of the movie would come up. It seems like the weapons issued were totally ineffective against the White Spikes. That one guy with a shotgun was far more effective at killing them than those with conventional military .556 weapons.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it more than some here seemed to have. I thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while. I might have to agree that it seemed a tad long but still a very good movie in my opinion, maybe 8/10 in my book.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Well golly, if you don't chop 5.56 barrel down to eight inches to make it look cool it might have enough poo-poo to pop a white spike.

Let the hair splitting begin...
Razz

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Well golly, if you don't chop 5.56 barrel down to eight inches to make it look cool it might have enough poo-poo to pop a white spike.

Let the hair splitting begin...
Razz

I wasn't going to say anything but since you brought it up....

I feel bad for the actors. Apparently they were firing real blanks and were glad when the shooting was over because it was LOUD. The muzzle blast looked CGI so I was surprised when I heard about them using blanks.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwhelming....felt like a video game at the beginning. At times I thought I was watching a Michael Bay/Bruckheimer production with the bigger than ever explosions and the need to squeeze every piece of hardware into the picture frame. Not a horrible flick, mindless entertainment, I give it a 5:10

Now the tactics and nit-picks:
If you're fighting biologicals, and you know high heat does damage...why aren't flame throwers of some kind more common? Such as Aliens M41A Pulse Rifle Big Grin
Do they breath air...perhaps thermobaric grenades would be more common when entering enclosed spaces.
If the enemy is significantly larger than human, and is immune to all but head/neck shots, why continue to use M4ish type of weapons and 5.56mm?
Dorian using a shotgun, thinking he loaded them with slugs...good choice. Pratt pulling out his Marlin .45-70 from Jurassic Park would've been a wishful hoot.
Reloads? anyone? Everyone does a mag dump but nobody can reload. Guess transitions to pistol are just cooler Roll Eyes

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
I see I am not alone in my bugaboo. Why issue a weapon that has little effect? And if 5.56 isn't working, why bother with a pistol except to show off you went to a shooting school the studio paid for before the principle filming started?

And if you are going to "jump" and pretend to care about the conscripts, why not give them parachutes instead of sprinkling them about the cityscape like fleshy lawndarts?

Too much dumb to overcome.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
In regards to the jump screw up, if memory serves they were expecting to be 5-10' feet up. Then 'something' (never explained what) went wrong with the jump coordinates and apparently they were more like 5-10 hundred feet up. LOL

Weapon-wise, I am not sure you can just assume those are typical ARs. There is that super-short part were the draftees get the "this is your new best friend" speech (and no actual training on how to use it). And it was blowing off huge chunks of soft tissue/tentacles.

I found it interesting the carbines had at least two electronic optics but the M2 on the Hummer didn't.

I suppose the whole time-travel thing couldn't be really looked into but it seems amazing to me that the folks from the future didn't have a much better plan in place prior to jumping back.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
In regards to the jump screw up, if memory serves they were expecting to be 5-10' feet up. Then 'something' (never explained what) went wrong with the jump coordinates and apparently they were more like 5-10 hundred feet up. LOL

Weapon-wise, I am not sure you can just assume those are typical ARs. There is that super-short part were the draftees get the "this is your new best friend" speech (and no actual training on how to use it). And it was blowing off huge chunks of soft tissue/tentacles.

I found it interesting the carbines had at least two electronic optics but the M2 on the Hummer didn't.

I suppose the whole time-travel thing couldn't be really looked into but it seems amazing to me that the folks from the future didn't have a much better plan in place prior to jumping back.

they did give much info on the time travel thing as far as when it was developed vs where the whiteclaws had taken over,

overall a good movie, it was a tad long, but good,

Farmer's Insurance Dad seemed to be the guy with the best working firearm,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Slow to start. Sappy in the middle. Good fight scenes. I was more worried about time travel paradox than where the critters came from. Still I enjoyed it. Good way to spend 2 hours away from the holiday crowd.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Farmer's Insurance Dad seemed to be the guy with the best working firearm,

Other than he failed at following-up his shot on the queen but he got his one-liner in. Roll Eyes The entire point of semi-auto sniper rifles is rapid follow-up shots.

Ok, ok, he's been retired since 'Nam....

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My question with stuff like this is “where is the armor?”

I mean sure there are a lot them and they are tough but their spikes while able to pierce concrete would likely do little to even obsolete tank armor. An M1A or T72 or Merkova or any number of armored vehicles should be able to both penetrate their “shells” with higher caliber MGs much less main guns. Hell they could likely crush them.

Now besides the tanks, instead of conscripting folks from the past send back intel. You have 30 years for the global population to prepare, weaponize viruses, create a bull work etc. and you know where the initial incursion is. “High guys, welcome to earth, we’ve taken the liberty of evacuating this area over the past 30 years and have to decided to get rid of a few dozen of our nuclear weapons here. or hey wait a minute how come the humans have a MASSIVE army waiting for us??

All the nit picky BS aside. It was a fun movie. I enjoyed it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I liked it, it was a good sci-fi monster flick. I don't try to pick movies apart, I just enjoy it for what it is.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:

Looks like an AR based .308 or .338 Lapua. I'd lean towards the .338 Lapua based on the size of the magazine which looks like it could hold .50BMG

What would I use? The 2 most powerful calibers I own are 30-06 and 12 Gauge, both of which might tickle her. I'm thinking some close air support would do the trick.

You would think that there would be more sophisticated weapons 30 years in the future. Confused

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:

You would think that there would be more sophisticated weapons 30 years in the future. Confused

Maybe, maybe not. How much have firearms really changed in the last 30 years? The Sig P series are still around. The SP5 is one of the most in demand weapons right now. M16/M4/AR-15 base design hasn't changed. Other than a bunch of polymer pistols using modular frames not much has really progressed in firearm design and tech. Then again I haven't bought a gun in over 5 years so maybe I'm out of touch with the latest and greatest.