SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    This looks fun-The Tomorrrow War-Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This looks fun-The Tomorrrow War-Amazon Prime Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Light summer entertainment. I enjoyed it. As others noted, if 5.56 not cutting it, why not go to something bigger and armor piercing? I was thinking my Ruger Deerfield in 44 mag with the 10-round magazine would be a decent option. Not that I'm volunteering...

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/pBaePRS0d-0

I have another gripe besides the ones already listed by others: They gave Pratt's character 24 hours to get his affairs in order. I would assume they did that for everyone they conscripted. So why does one dude show up still in his chef's uniform, complete with chef's hat?!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
If I'm in 2054 or whatever, and I have a timeline to the past, why not just have those surviving 500K come here and together start prepping for wiping out the WSs.

Other than it'd be a short movie. Big Grin

Shit, that wouldn't work because some of the future peeps are alive in the past.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14563 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you just tell it to die?

We watched it the other night. Not bad for that type of movie.
Chris Pratt is one of us too

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
What would I use? The 2 most powerful calibers I own are 30-06 and 12 Gauge, both of which might tickle her. I'm thinking some close air support would do the trick.

My 14 year old and I just watched it and we had similar questions. I guess the biggest is my 12" 6.5 Grendel and my son built a 16" .458 Socom for his birthday last year.

Guess we need to build something bigger this year for birthday rifles.

Of course we also discussed the time travel issues Big Grin

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7991 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
if thick skinned aliens are the issue, time to break out the Garand, Hakim, Marlin 45-70, and/or FN Sp 1 stuffed with slugs.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have 30 years for the global population to prepare, weaponize viruses, create a bull work etc. and you know where the initial incursion is. “High guys, welcome to earth, we’ve taken the liberty of evacuating this area over the past 30 years and have to decided to get rid of a few dozen of our nuclear weapons here. or hey wait a minute how come the humans have a MASSIVE army waiting for us??

This.

I really tried to like it but it fell into the realm of the walking dead for me: The entire premise is stupid and all these people are too stupid to survive. They deserve to die.

I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief to enjoy movies or TV shows. I Just watched The Americans, lots of little nitpicks, a few major, glaring errors but still done well enough for me to set that aside and enjoy the show, as an example.

But damn, at least give a little help with the suspension of disbelief.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it for what it was but the whole time I was questioning how we let those squishy whitespikes wipe us out. I told myself it was the sheer volume of them, millions of fast moving predators. But seriously we had total air superiority and why not fucking tanks? Anyway, it was worth the watch.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was mildly enjoyable. It was off the charts idiotic though. The entire premise made no sense. It literally contradicted itself continually with every scene.

The video above is funny and absolutely nails all the big nonsense encapsulated as a movie.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The plot was total Swiss cheese, but I enjoyed it. Someone else mentioned that if it wasn’t for Hollywood cranking out total dreck, we wouldn’t even be talking about this film and I agree.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
But....

The future now never happened so nobody made the toxin so he wouldn't have it to use.

It was ok, very sloppy plot points. If there's nothing else to watch give it a shot

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
But.... The future now never happened so nobody made the toxin so he wouldn't have it to use.

Yeah, that's one of many problems with time travel movies like this.

Whereas alternate reality hopping is more plausible. (At least as far as plot-hole-riddled sci-fi premises goes.)

I wasn't impressed. If I just want to turn off my brain and watch actors hose aliens with guns, there are (slightly) better films to do that with, like Aliens or Battle: Los Angeles.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big SiFi fan but gave it a try. It was OK, at best, and not a movie I'll ever watch again. Where do you buy those thousand round clips for an AR?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4212 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Wife and I enjoyed it. Not top notch but entertaining enough it was worth it.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gzdm_YWwEbA" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

OMG that was funny! Still entertained by the movie though.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Once I gave up on plot and guns/tactics it was pretty cool, really.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was entertained.

I didn't think about trying to find out where the aliens would start appearing. I thought the easy solution since they were able to bring back what neutralized them was to start stockpiling the ammo for when the aliens showed up. But I'm a supply chain guy and I guess that's the reason they don't make riveting movies about supply management.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19579 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to see the m2 50 caliber still in full use. But not ejecting any brass or links.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Once I gave up on plot and guns/tactics it was pretty cool, really.

Same here. My oldest daughter sarcastically said “they must have some large magazines”

We went in knowing what it was and enjoyed it as an escape and support for one of us.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post