SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Twenty-five year old Clint Eastwood appears in "Highway Patrol"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twenty-five year old Clint Eastwood appears in "Highway Patrol" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Broadcast April 2, 1956.

One of my favorite stories about Highway Patrol concerns Broderick Crawford's heavy drinking at all times. At times, Crawford was so drunk on the set, they used to film some of his scenes with him lying down on the floor and then rotate the camera 90 degrees to make it look like he was standing against a wall. I kid you not.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly (I might not), there are no scenes with Crawford actually driving a car, his driver's license having been suspended for DUI.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well he sure drive the car in that episode. This was before my time. Never saw it before. I would love to see one of those 90 degree filmed scenes.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
At times, Crawford was so drunk on the set, they used to film some of his scenes with him lying down on the floor and then rotate the camera 90 degrees to make it look like he was standing against a wall. I kid you not.

HOLY CRAP, that is NUTS!!! If I was so drunk I could not stand there is no way I could "act" a scene of any kind.

I am not sure if this is a black mark against his character or a testament to his acting skill.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The scenes where Crawford drives a car- these were mostly shot on back roads or private roads.

Regarding his acting while lying down drunk scenes-

Many years ago- I think around 1999 or 2000, I read a TV fans forum. One guy in there said he worked as a gaffer (lighting technician) for the company which produced Highway Patrol. It's a well-known story that Crawford broke his ankle getting out of a helicopter while filming an episode of the series and he had to wear a cast for a while, which can be seen in a couple of episodes. This gent said that that's how the 'filming while lying down' stuff began, but even after the cast came off, Crawford liked it so much, he would still insist on it when he was especially blitzed. He said Crawford received regular booze deliveries to the set and the producers just looked the other way.

He also said that Crawford- Academy Award winner that he was- was not like the typical Hollywood types. He referred to Crawford as "a regular Joe."

I just looked around online today but it appears that the forum is long gone, can't even find it with the Wayback Machine. It's a shame, because I recall that this guy had some really great stories about HP and other low budget TV series of the time.

posted Hide Post
MeTV reruns Highway Patrol. I enjoy the cars and when I can ID a filming location, I look at it on Google Earth. The changes over time are interesting. I do the same thing with the MeTV reruns of 60s Dragnet and Adam-12.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
During the early Covid days, we DVR'd Highway Patrol on MeTV and watched it everyday for a couple of months.

At an estate sale years ago, I bought a book titled "Of All The Gin Joints", a book about the partying days of Hollywood's Golden Era. One of the anecdotes involved Crawford, his buddy Frank Sinatra, and Robert Mitchum, three of the biggest drinkers in Hollywood. On the set of a movie they were filming, all three constantly drinking and carousing, Sinatra kept teasing Crawford, calling him "Lenny", the dumb character in Of Mice and Men. Tired of it, Crawford tackled Sinatra onto the ground, punching Mitchum in the process, and started to eat Sinatra's toupee. A staff member had to tear him off and get him to puke up the hairs. Director Stanley Kramer called the set "10 weeks of hell". A really fun book to read.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Great story, never heard that one before.

The film would have to be Not as a Stranger and it's interesting that Sinatra was calling Crawford "Lenny", because also a cast member in that film is Lon Chaney, Jr., and he actually did play Lenny in Lewis Milestone's 1939 version of Of Mice and Men.

Looking at the film's trivia on IMDB, I found this: There was a such a boisterous atmosphere on this shoot that Robert Mitchum described it as "not so much a cast as a brewery!"

**edit**

I see why now- Crawford played Lenny on Broadway.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
That was a actually a good episode. I don’t really remember Highway Patrol, but I certainly knew of it. Pretty good script

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This show used to play all the time when I was a kid. I remember one episode where Crawford got into a helicopter, which then took off- really took off, so this wasn't one of those low-angle shots of an idling helicopter sitting on the ground with everyone acting like it's airborne.

Crawford got into the passenger seat and tried to buckle the seat belt, but he couldn't buckle it because of his big stomach, so he just let the belt go and had a stupid smile on his face while the helicopter took off. It was obvious, and you would think the director would say "Let's try that again, only this time don't bother with the seat belt," but no, they just said "screw it" and left it in.

Even at ten years old, I could tell that this show was the cheese.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this one, I never watched Highway patrol.. it was either before my time or just not on the two channels we got back in the early 60's. I started to watch it and ended up watching the whole thing....the husband running the dinner sure was a dick.

For what I see as a 'low budget' TV show there were multiple levels in that one episode.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I do remember watching the series back in my youth. This was just prior to Clint appearing on Rawhide in 1959. I ran across this episode of Highway Patrol a few weeks back on You Tube just didn't have time to watch it right then. Lots of good stories about the cast of Rawhide if you want to go down a rabbit hole sometime. Eric Fleming (Gil Favor) drown while filming a rafting scene on a river in Africa I believe. Always did his own stunts. He was supposedly on his way to being a major lead actor in the likes of Clark Gable or Rock Hudson. Always felt his acting in Rawhide was quite good.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
I grew up watching Highway Patrol in the '50s. It became a running joke among us kids to grab an imaginary fedora brim and run for the heliocopter (or in our cases family cars) ala Dan Matthews.

The Mrs and I have a number of seasons on DVD and are so hooked we got a copy of "Highway Patrol Locations Then and Now" by Jerry L Schneider.

We've spotted a number of actors getting their starts in the 50's like Clint Eastwood-Stuart Whitman, Leonard Nimoy and my all-time favorite William Boyette who went from Highway Patrol sereant to LAPD sergeant on Adam 12.

The gun handling is interesting, too. Dan Matthews is dead on at 50 yards from the hip with a snubbie and the patrolmen stick their revolvers in their belts when handcuffing the suspects because of the awkwardness of reholstering with clamshell holsters.

We were also pretty amused by the level of trauma sugery in the 50's-"The bullet's too close to her heart-I'll have to take it out here" at a ranch house with just the doctor's little house call bag...victims were tougher back then.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
You'll recognize all of these guys Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, when I was Town/Village cop, (Manlius/Minoa NY) I stopped Broderick Crawford for speeding. He had a rep as a drinker, but was sober when I interviewed him roadside. He was very friendly and I was so starstruck I wished him well and sent him on his way.
Wish I'd had a camera...

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of his best roles as LA. Governor

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, it's one of his best roles. He won an Academy Award for it, which is one of the reasons why the producers of a low budget TV show put up with him being drunk on the set.

That Oscar win also opened the door for Crawford to play roles like this, in Born Yesterday with the great Judy Holliday. Crawford is not remembered for comedy roles, but he's perfect in this one.

posted Hide Post
You dont see them much, but if you can, catch Crawford in these flicks:
Down Three Dark Streets.
The Mob.
Human Desire.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Human Desire".

One of Crawford's best roles, IMO.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
"Human Desire"
A remake of Jean Renoir's La Bete Humaine with an ending created for American audiences.