SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Indy 500 - 4x Winner! Spoiler
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indy 500 - 4x Winner! Spoiler Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
What an awesome race. Not a huge fan of oval, but have been watching more Indycar this year - used to follow almost a decade ago. So seeing Helio Castroneves drive a heck of a race and make it as a 4x winner was awesome. Always a gentleman and a heck of driver, great to see him take this - and he was driving as a one-off!

A crowd cheering, masks mostly not showing and a scene we haven’t seen in a long time.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The race took a while to get exciting but the second half was great as was the ending.
Great job by Mike Shank's small team too. He's been at a long time too and really worked hard for this for years.
The after race celebrations were great as well.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That was a really good race. NASCAR and F1 should take note of what real racing is

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Absolutely loved Helio Castroneves' comment about the old men showing the youngsters how it's done citing Brady, Mickelson, and of course himself. Spot on!

And yes Indy Cars are much more enjoyable to watch that staid old heavily monied F1 or bumper cars NASCAR.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They also mentioned it is the largest crowd since Wuhan flu started.
Back to full attendance next year.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It was nice to see so many in the stands. The new criteria for social distancing is 18” or less.

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched an Indy race in over a decade, but was able to watch all but the first dozen laps. Very enjoyable and exciting. Now I'm watching NASCAR, and what a difference. Stage 1 and I'm ready to find a movie to watch.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Great for Helio. Smile

Very good for Dixon who didn't have a close rival pull max points.

Happiest for Roger Penske who bought the track and the series only to have the kung-flu kill it all a year ago.

I know a couple people who hate Helio from years back because he wouldn't drink the milk. Roll Eyes

A wonderful day for Indy, IndyCar and race fans, what fun. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I love how 40% capacity is still 130,000 people. A very excellent race and only TWO yellow flags. In addition to becoming a 4 time winner, Helio is the first 4 time winner since Rick Mears in 1991, drove the fastest Indy 500 in history with an average speed of 190.690 mph (2 hr 37 min:19.3846 sec), and first part time driver to win since Dan Wheldon in 2011.

I know 2nd place is 1st loser at Indy, but who knew last year that Alex Palou would be such a stud this year besides Chip Ganassi? He gets his first win at Barber, he’s been in the Top 5 almost every race, and almost wins Indy on his 2nd attempt. He’s #1 in points with a 36 point lead over Scott Dixon.

Hope you guys follow us to the Detroit Doubleheader at Belle Isle June 12th and 13th.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
HCN has three seconds and a third to add to his four wins.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Great for Helio. Smile

Very good for Dixon who didn't have a close rival pull max points.

Happiest for Roger Penske who bought the track and the series only to have the kung-flu kill it all a year ago.

I know a couple people who hate Helio from years back because he wouldn't drink the milk. Roll Eyes

A wonderful day for Indy, IndyCar and race fans, what fun. Smile

IIRC it was EMERSON FITTIPALDI who didn't drink the milk. He wanted Orange Juice because he had Orange groves in his home country. He always seemed an arrogant driver.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Stopped watching Indy long ago when they went NASCAR on design and engines, was there in 91 when Mears won....

Great to see a good sized crowd, good to see people out in public letting governments know it's time...

Didn't get to watch the whole race, caught bits, and the ending, good for him winning with an independent small team.

Watched the NASCAR Race as well, pretty much the same, didn't get my nap in though... Still a good race.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
IIRC it was EMERSON FITTIPALDI who didn't drink the milk. He wanted Orange Juice because he had Orange groves in his home country. He always seemed an arrogant driver.

He still gets booed for that at Indy. HE drove the pace car a few years ago and the boos followed him around the track.

However, they did forgive Jimmy Vasser for winning the US 500 in 1996 and telling the media, “Who needs milk?” after his win.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I guess HCN wasn't as up front as Emo about the milk but Helio's not a fan (lactose intolerant?). Watch him yesterday, the slightest sip, the rest on his head. He did have a little more strawberry milk, looked unhappy and dove into his cockpit for some bottled water asap. Smile

The whole milk thing as "tradition" is such bs anyway, basically product placement from long ago. I'm always kinda queasy watching winners swig milk after 500 miles on a usually hot day. But yeah, no milk fan here. **insert gagging emoji here**

posted Hide Post
I only watch one Indy Car race a year.....the 500. I used to be a big fan, but it changed so much, that it just doesn't interest me much these days.

I do follow F1 and NHRA though.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post