SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tears of the Sun - Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tears of the Sun - Netflix Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
If you have Netflix, you already know Tears of the Sun is available. It’s my favorite Bruce Willis movie. Incredibly powerful and sadness runs through it like a river. Imperfect, but I still like it and think it’s a great movie.

I probably don’t need to tell you Wind River is available as well, do I. I think it’s one of the best movies in recent years. Pretty good deal. Twofer

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
If you have Netflix, you already know Tears of the Sun is available. It’s my favorite Bruce Willis movie. Incredibly powerful and sadness runs through it like a river. Imperfect, but I still like it and think it’s a great movie.

I probably don’t need to tell you Wind River is available as well, do I. I think it’s one of the best movies in recent years. Pretty good deal. Twofer

Cool, I can try to point out all the backwards installed optics again Smile

In fairness, its a entertaining movie. Horribly done, but the story is dramatic.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monica Bellucci ain't hard to look at either Smile

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Monica Bellucci ain't hard to look at either Smile

------------------------

That was the only thing enjoyable in this movie.

Made at a time when the Navy was trying to grow its Special Warfare (SEALs) program and the GWOT was getting dragged-out, they had hoped it would be a recruiting tool like Charlie Sheen's NAVY SEALs did back in the 90's. Insert social guilt construct into story, show off some expensive hardware, add hot female lead and cross-fingers recruits come in. Then there's the debacle of props....backwards optics, utility caps, mohawks, vests in the jungle, etc...

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Michael Bane once said this was probably the only time a MK23 was actually used in "combat". Big Grin

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My ex-girlfriend loved that movie.

She had a knack for picking out the dumbest film in the rental store. Every time.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Damn, now I really feel bad. Shit, ex-girlfriend

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Damn, now I really feel bad. Shit, ex-girlfriend

Honestly you should know you are going to be in for some major ribbing for saying this is your favorite Bruce Willis movie when everyone knows that Sigforum's favorite Bruce Willis movie is Die Hard. As it should be.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Come out to the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs…

posted Hide Post
The hate for Tears of the Sun is interesting. I always thought it was a cool flick. Not Bruce Willis' best movie, but good nonetheless. I think the director has a knack for fun action movies, with a good balance of realism and absurdity. Olympus Has Fallen is another good one from the same director. When it comes to the portrayal of SEALs, I don't guess I have any idea what realism really ought to look like, so I am content to just roll with it. Hell, that movie Act of Valor was supposedly made by SEALs, and it was full of dumb shit. I always thought the break contact scene in Tears of the Sun was very cool, and the MK23 scene as well. And when Red has nothing but his pistol left, and is trying to get to LT before the jet comes in is always a fun part too.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i thought it was okay ... never really re-watched it though

my eye roll was the late-40s 0-3 out running / kicking in doors with the young bucks

yeah, yeah, yeah -- he could have been former enlisted blah blah blah

COULD it happen ? yes. senior NCO who joined in his late 20s -- and after 15 years service decides to become an O.

still not very realistic IMO. not many NCOs with 15 years service decide to go 'back to school' to be a boot 0-1. even FEWER who would - after doing so -- find themselves (back) in NSW leading ops. there were seventeen kajillion late-20s actors who could have more realistically played that LT role as written.
it's a young man's game -- very hard on the physical body.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
my eye roll was the late-40s 0-3 out running / kicking in doors with the young bucks

I am able to suspend my disbelief enough to ignore stuff like that. And it helps to make the decision to disassociate the known age of the actor from the character he's portraying. I know it's not the same service, but I've seen some 18As and team sergeants that were "older-looking", so I don't find it unrealistic that someone in a leadership position in a special unit would look like that.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The movie is ridiculous in many ways as far as realism goes.

That said and I’m gonna say it dammit, I love that flick and dammit I thought the MK23 scene was cool as hell.

I have a fair bit of knowledge about a fairly wide range of things. If I let myself pick apart every movie I watch none of them would be enjoyable. I mean hell I LOVE a good Bond movie but let’s be honest if it was realistic most of it would be him dressed as a janitor going through Russian trash for intel. Razz.

I gotta admit though the backwards optics did make me cringe a bit. I can overlook a lot but that was some straight up SYFY channel Airsoft AR15s in WWII level of technical consultant stuff right there. Smile Frown
……………but then again I have seen it for real several times in news footage of various officers over the years soooooooo Eek

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have a fair bit of knowledge about a fairly wide range of things. If I let myself pick apart every movie I watch none of them would be enjoyable.

This ^^^^^

E.g.: We're binging on Manifest on NetFlix atm. (It's kind of a Lost-ish thing. Not great, but good chewing gum for the mind Smile.) Here we have people in an ultra-secure, ultra-secret, black ops-ish research facility... with functional personal cell phones--complete with cameras. Oh yeah, and a local cop that can somehow get access to said facility on-demand because, ya know, she's a cop and has cop stuff to do.

But ya gotta let all that stuff just slide and enjoy the thing for what it is. (Parveen Kaur is hawt! My Lord, those eyes...)

Anyway... Tears of the Sun. My wife and I saw it years ago. IIRC, she disliked it and I didn't like it enough to want to watch it again.

Best Bruce Willis movie? To each their own, but I'd have to go with either Die Hard, The Fifth Element, or even The Whole Nine Yards, here.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to Tears of the Sun, NF is also showing The Killing and Ace in the Hole. Both classics well worth your time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Best Bruce Willis movie? To each their own, but I'd have to go with either Die Hard, The Fifth Element, or even The Whole Nine Yards, here.

Agreed. Yimmy Tudeschi? Hilarious film. I also really like Blind Date. Bruce Willis did action really well, but for my money, his comedy chops were better. “Anyone else wanna negotiate?” Great stuff.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh, hell, I'd temporarily forgotten all about RED and RED 2. Also excellent Bruce Willis movies. Not to mention the rest of the cast in each of them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for someone to mention Hostage, but it is seemingly up to me. That's a very cool one, with a neat early role for Ben Foster too.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Fifth Element, big boom...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post