SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    One of the most comprehensive, well researched documentaries on USS ENTERPRISE CV(N)6, if…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of the most comprehensive, well researched documentaries on USS ENTERPRISE CV(N)6, if… Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
… you can overlook the occasional bit of anime.

Seriously, four 90 minuteish long videos cover USS ENTERPRISE (and some general WWII navy elements too) from December 8, 1941 to July 1, 1958. It is by a big channel named Animarchy History. I’ll be diving into that rabbit hole forthwith.

I live alone so I was playing it while doing chores.

I was impressed by the narration. It was engaging and brought out some nuances I’d not heard before.

But I’m really impressed by the visual track. It is filled with images I’d never seen from battles I thought poorly covered by aerial gun cameras (e.g., TAFFY-3). Did you know an American naval aviator fired a pistol at IJN YAMATO? Plus, you can watch or not. The visuals enhance the soundtrack, not the t’other way ‘round.

The anime turns me off, but other than that, it is excellent! If anime gets some poor soy boy to watch it and he is drawn to really heroic men (e.g., crew of USS SAMUEL B. ROBERTS) and diverted from that beta boi course, if I meet them, I’ll see them turned onto Professor Peterson.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

It is well worth the time.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed a little unconventional but a good documentary

Posts: 152 | Location: DFW | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. On a side note, there are more than a few members here who enjoy anime. Please don’t insinuate that all who do watch anime are soy boys or betas.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Thanks for the recommendation. On a side note, there are more than a few members here who enjoy anime. Please don’t insinuate that all who do watch anime are soy boys or betas.

Not sure how I was I insinuating anything from my reply “ Agreed a little unconventional but a good documentary” If I say it’s unconventional that’s in no way negative, just my opinion. The interjection of good humor and anime actually keeps you engaged. I’ll bet there are more than a few members here that would agree.

Posts: 152 | Location: DFW | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t addressing you.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not good at social mediaSmile

posted Hide Post
Well I don’t know about soy boys or whatever but that anime in the middle of a war documentary was fucking weird as hell.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Animarchy is doing a series on ship histories. He uses Azur Lane as a spring board into WW2 naval history. He started them two years ago and has a few out there. The war on Ukraine has slowed him down while he covers what is going on there. He recently did a three and half hour video with Drachinifel on the ships of Azur Lane. That was time well spent as he pulls up various ship-girls from the game and the two discuss the real ship and then how the game portrays them.

Side bar, if you are remotely interested in naval history, Drachinifel is a must follow.

They must have been copywrite struck, but Animarchy had a series of videos where he tears the last Call of Duty WW2 game a new one for all the historical errors in the game. Not just common errors like MP44s at the Battle of Stalingrad, but WTF moments like recruiting posters for the US Air Force on carrier's bulkheads as you are readying to launch a strike to defend Midway.

As for Anime, I'm with Orguss. Calling people who watch anime soy boys is insulting. I've been playing Azur Lane (AL) since it launched in 2018. It is a fun mobile game. And there are movies and series that do a better job of intelligent story telling than what Hollywood makes. And it is fun when there is the occasional cross over with other hobbies. World of Warships (WoWS) has done a few collabs with Azur Lane. Still waiting/hoping for the AL Massachusetts commander for my WoWS USS Massy. But I was glad to finally get AL Prinz Eugen for my WoWS KMS Prinz Eugen in the last collab.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You anime guys are touchy.

Can I call furries weird? Lol

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanna see well done animated WWII history?
The Liberator. Currently on NetFlix.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, I did enjoy that one. Didn't think I would but it was very well done. A little anime and it would have been perfect. (lol, just poking for fun)