SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Interesting Book I Stumbled On: The Years of Rice and Salt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Book I Stumbled On: The Years of Rice and Salt Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’m going to get this for my Kindle as summer reading, I always find these “what if” alternate history stories fascinating:

quote:

The Years of Rice and Salt

The Years of Rice and Salt is an alternate history novel by American science fiction author Kim Stanley Robinson, published in 2002. The novel explores how world history might have been different if the Black Death plague had killed 99 percent of Europe's population, instead of a third as it did in reality. Divided into ten parts, the story spans hundreds of years, from the army of the Muslim conqueror Timur to the 21st century, with Europe being re-populated by Muslim pioneers, the indigenous peoples of the Americas forming a league to resist Chinese and Muslim invaders, and a 67-year-long world war being fought primarily between Muslim states and the Chinese and their allies. While the ten parts take place in different times and places, they are connected by a group of characters that are reincarnated into each time but are identified to the reader by the first letter of their name being consistent in each life.

Wikipedia Link

Posts: 33592 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have heard of this, but never read it. I have been thinking about trying it, and now am going too. If you like that kind of thing (alt. history/sci fi) you might try Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South, which I really liked or, if you like Asia/Indian, S.M. Stirling's The Peshwar Lancers. Both are individual books (not series') BUT both have different alternative history series' IF you liked these titles.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post