SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Maybe I was too harsh on Seth MacFarlane (re: The Orville)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe I was too harsh on Seth MacFarlane (re: The Orville) Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I always hated everything he did. Family Guy was awful and predictable, his SNL appearance was a trainwreck, the Oscars appearance was an eye roller. I never really understood his popularity.

Recently, we came across The Orville on a streaming channel and it’s really good. Still some childish humor but the show really is fun to watch. I guess I never gave it a chance because of his other stuff.

Well, there you have it. I know I may be the last person on earth to see it but if I’m not, go check it out.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Don't be too excited. Season 1 was good. Season 2 less so. Season 3 is a dumpster fire.

Also, search.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/8730003924/p/1

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Don't be too excited. Season 1 was good. Season 2 less so. Season 3 is a dumpster fire.
Well, it’s the best thing I’ve seen him do so far. Admittedly, that’s not saying much. I’m on episode 5.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
We watched seasons 1 and 2 on Fox. It lost us when it moved to Hulu.

Guess we haven't missed anything.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually really like this show especially as standard Star Trek lost its way, at least for me. I haven't seen Picard though.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I haven't seen Picard though.

Don't. Just don't.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually really like this show especially as standard Star Trek lost its way, at least for me. I haven't seen Picard though.

Even with the childish humor, Orville is better Trek than anything post-Voyager (with the exception of Lower Decks). And partway through Season 1, Orville starts to strike more a balance between fart jokes and serious content, with the trend continuing towards more serious content throughout the following episodes and seasons.

Don't bother with Picard. Season 1 was somewhat decent but not great. Starting with Season 2, they went straight off the woke deep end, with the crew literally time-travelling to 21st Century Earth to fight for the rights of oppressed minority groups and battle climate change in 2024 California.

You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We finished the series last night. Season 1 was the funniest, season 2 got more serious and we thought season 3 was the best. Sure, we didn’t need the social commentary but we still enjoyed it.

It’s not something I’d ever rewatch.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
We finished the series last night. Season 1 was the funniest, season 2 got more serious and we thought season 3 was the best. Sure, we didn’t need the social commentary but we still enjoyed it.

It’s not something I’d ever rewatch.

Agree with this. Thought Season 3 was the best. Definitely more woke stuff as the seasons went on but some pretty good sci-fi stories.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Even with the childish humor, Orville is better Trek than anything post-Voyager (with the exception of Lower Decks). And partway through Season 1, Orville starts to strike more a balance between fart jokes and serious content, with the trend continuing towards more serious content throughout the following episodes and seasons.

Don't bother with Picard. Season 1 was somewhat decent but not great. Starting with Season 2, they went straight off the woke deep end, with the crew literally time-travelling to 21st Century Earth to fight for the rights of oppressed minority groups and battle climate change in 2024 California.

You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

Season 3 of Picard is much better than either of the previous seasons. I only watched the first two episodes of Season 2, and checked out. But fortunately, you don’t need to know anything about the previous seasons to enjoy. It’s almost if they wrote it as if the two previous seasons didn’t exist.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You know what's wrong with Picard season 3? It wasn't season 1. Continuity has always been a big part of Star Trek so you couldn't just ignore what came before. For that reason, and the fact I won't pay for a streaming service, I won't watch any new Star Trek from now on. I'll make do with reruns and ignore everything from 2009 onwards.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
The only thing Seth MacFarlane does that I like is sing. I have several of his albums. He should just stick with that.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3098 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
MacFarlane has an issue with predictability and taking jokes too far or too long. If he could come up with twist endings or subtle jokes, he’d have had many more seasons of The Orville.