SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Recommend/rate your Peloton rides/workouts thread…
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend/rate your Peloton rides/workouts thread… Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Probably couldn't do it again.
Back to back days, different D Morton classes, identical output & distance.

20 min climb from 1/18/21
20 min rock from 12/15/21

192 output & 6.46 miles

Enjoyable classes, but I was averaging 2-5 points over the recommended resistance, and still 18 points off my 20 min PR.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’m glad I found this, just bought the regular Peloton bike today and it will be delivered Tuesday. I didn’t buy any of the accessories (shoes, weights). Is that something I will need? I ride a Trek DS4 hybrid in the warm weather, typically 11-16 miles and as far as 32 miles but this will be my first time trying something like this.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The weights you can do without, you will want to figure out the clipped in shoe situation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My bike shoes already had Look cleats on them, luckily they're compatible with the stock peloton pedals.
Broke 600 miles with my 12/24 ride.

My wife opted to go to the local bike shop & got her shoes/cleats there, rather than the peloton shoes.
Enabled her to try on multiple & get what was comfortable for her.

We've never used the weights, but I know a few people that do the spin + weights rides. I just haven't gotten around to trying one yet.

You can ride with regular shoes, but aren't likely to get quite as much out of it. I feel I can push a lot harder when clipped in, vs regular shoes. Just remember that there's no coasting on the bike, the pedals are direct drive & don't stop if you stop pedaling.

Also, make sure to join the #sigforum tag.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I ended up swapping out the pedals for pedals with toe cages. They work but are a pain the backside to tighten. I may just have to break down and get the shoes. I did my first ride today, 30 minutes with Kendall Toole. I think I should have started on a beginner class but I was able to complete it. I’m going to try another this evening.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
<SNIP> I did my first ride today, 30 minutes with Kendall Toole. I think I should have started on a beginner class but I was able to complete it. I’m going to try another this evening.

Just for perspective, Kendall is arguably the most challenging instructor to keep up with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
<SNIP> I did my first ride today, 30 minutes with Kendall Toole. I think I should have started on a beginner class but I was able to complete it. I’m going to try another this evening.

Just for perspective, Kendall is arguably the most challenging instructor to keep up with.

Now you tell me.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
You're a brave soul to start on a KT class.
She's probably my favorite instructor, but she really puts the hammer down.

Hoping to get in a 30 minute shortly, since my youngest just went down for a nap.

If you have a nearby bike shop, I'd recommend stopping in & getting shoes & cleats there. Lets you try on multiple & get some that are comfortable.

For cleats, you want Look Classic, or the generic copy.
I have Look cleats & need the release tension on the Peloton pedals set a bit higher, as they're easier to unclip compared to the Look pedals on my road bike.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Kendall Toole - 20 Min Metal Ride - 12/28/21

Absolutely brutal, especially the last 5 minutes.
Final push is at an indicated 80-90 resistance, IIRC.

Completely gassed at the end. My numbers tanked the last 2 minutes or so, had nothing left.

Finished 1 point off my PR, after being 3-5 above it the whole ride. Mad

silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Can you recommend another instructor for a beginner? I did another Kendall ride last night. 20 minutes that time and it kicked my butt. I can keep the cadence and resistance up for most of the ride but I dropped down at the end? I also didn’t care for the music on this one.

I’ve realized I don’t care for the toe cage pedals. I’m going out today to get shoes for my wife and I. I’ll keep the cages if I want to swap them out for anyone else who wants to try the bike. But so far I’m liking it.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Look at the class types. Beginner & Low Impact classes are going to be less intense.

Also, you can scroll down on the class details & see what users have rated it. There is also a playlist button, so you can see specifically what music is in the ride.

A lot of the KT classes I've done are 8+ & tough.

Matt Wilpers & Denis Morton have some good classes that are less intense.
Emma Lovewell is another of my top picks, with Christine Dercole & Jenn Sherman rounding it out.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you recommend another instructor for a beginner? I did another Kendall ride last night. 20 minutes that time and it kicked my butt. I can keep the cadence and resistance up for most of the ride but I dropped down at the end? I also didn’t care for the music on this one.

I’ve realized I don’t care for the toe cage pedals. I’m going out today to get shoes for my wife and I. I’ll keep the cages if I want to swap them out for anyone else who wants to try the bike. But so far I’m liking it.

Hannah Corbin and Ally Love are both pretty laid back vibe instructors with beginner classes.

You can search for rides using filters by length, instructor, music type, ride type. Look for the beginner or “low impact” classes.

Remember you don’t HAVE to follow their cadence/resistance.

I kept the stock Peloton pedals. They are clip in one side and platform on the other. While I have clip in bike shoes, the majority of my rides I do in sneakers.

If I am going for a hard workout, then clip in is the way to go for best power transmission to the bike.

I bought my shoes off Amazon, good selection and with Prime was able to try a few pairs with no risk.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
It is with a heavy heart I have decided to sell my Peloton. It has been instrumental in my weight loss transformation, but my rower and elliptical use the iFIT system and I need to consolidate to a single subscription which means getting a different bike. Sale pending to a friend for late January and delivery of a NordicTrack bike is set for mid-January so I will be able to directly compare them for the overlap period.

I’ll miss it, but the iFit system gets is comparable, I have been using for 4 months with my rower and 1 month with the new elliptical. The bikes are pretty close in quality it seems, I think Peloton is more bomb-proof but NT has more features (incline/decline) and auto resistance adjust similar to Peloton’s newer Bike+.

I’ll still pop into this thread from time to time with updates and such, glad to have the online support for working out.

I was doing a ride today (Kendall Toole) and my feed BLEW UP with high fives, over twenty of them… turns out it was my 600th ride.

Just checked my history and ice done 123 rides in December. Tomorrow will be 196 days straight with at least one ride. I do three to five 20-30 rides a day usually, most of them are 20 or 30 minute ones and usually a 5 minute cool down. Occasionally I will add a 45 minute ride to the mix.

Between Peloton, Rowing, and elliptical I am over 1000 miles for the month. I am nearing my goal weight, about 10 pounds away. On January 1 I switch to “maintenance mode” and will be cutting way back. Probably less than 500 miles a month. Also switching from using miles as a measure to exercise calories as my measure instead.

Bike racks “miles” up the fastest, but rower burns more calories per minute. 825 calories or so in 48 minutes on the rower and it was 9.6 miles. 45 minutes on the bike and I only burn 537 calories but register 15.4 miles.

I tend to favor the bike counting miles, but rower is a more complete work out. Of my 1000 miles this month, 860 were on the bike and only 103 on the rower.

Over 60,000 exercise or “move” calories this month according to Apple Fitness app. My goal going forward will be in the 40,000/month range.

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the bike late October and I'm really enjoying it at 70 rides in. Some of the rides I've enjoyed so far:

60 Min cover to cover ride (Jenn Sherman, 07/21/21)
30 min 90's ride (Emma Lovewell, 12/27/21)
60 min Pop ride (Emma Lovewell, 9/12/21)
60 min sweat steady ride (Jess King, 11/27/21)
45 min 2000s ride (Kendall Toole, 12/5/21)
30 min Queen ride (Kendall Toole, 12/8/21)
10 Min Queen cool down ride (Sam Yo, 12/8/21)
30 min Foo Fighters ride (Emma Lovewell, 11/17/21)

Kendall kicks my butt and enjoys it. I like that Emma struggles along with me on the longer rides. Jess is solid and enjoyable. Sam is cool as a cucumber all the time, such a happy guy. Jenn is good to listen to on the longer rides.

I had no idea I'd enjoy the classes as much as I do. I'm seeing noticeable fitness improvements, accelerated weight loss, and I'm having fun. Couldn't be happier.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see you go, boss, but glad you're keeping at it.

RE: Instructors, I tried a Sam Yo class & it was just too calm & laid back for me.
Kendall is definitely the toughest I've done, she drives hard. Hers are about the only ones I've not been able to keep up with.
Emma is a good mix, some punishing classes, but a lot that are right in my top zones, rarely drop out of the metrics on hers.
Matt Wilpers, Denis Morton & Jenn Sherman, I'd put just below Emma, still tough classes, but not at the level of Emma & Kendall, overall.

I haven't taken many of the other cycling instructors, usually the music isn't to my tastes. I did 1 Tunde ride (Tabata), which had some Foo Fighters in it & enjoyed it.

My wife takes a lot of Cody Rigsby classes, but from listening, it wouldn't suit me at all.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished the year on a PR
Christine D'ercole 45 min climb - 7/11/21
448 total output, up 6 from my prior 45 min PR

Good steady ride, but heavy for the majority.

To top it off, I beat my co-worker's PR by 4 points.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Final ride of the year, a light 30 minute scenic ride through Utah. Just 9.53 miles, I had already hit my goal of 1000 miles for Dec, so could have passed but didn’t want to break my streak (now at 196 days).

Plus I have been dehydrated averaging over 30 miles a day and my blood work shows a problem with kidney function (likely due to the dehydration) go in for another sample on Wed so have taken it easy the past couple days winding down for the New Year.

Even after the Peloton is gone, I’ll visit this thread to regale everyone with my NordicTrack escapades.

Happy new year to all!

silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I did 30 minutes rides with Denis Morton the last two days, 80’s music and country today. These are pretty good rides for me, definitely not at KT level though. So far I’ve ridden every day and looking forward to tomorrow’s ride.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First PR of the year.
Emma Lovewell 10 min Climb from 1/6/22
117 total output (prev PR was 110)
Average output prior to the cooldown was 200, total average at the finish was 196

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Kendall did a 20 minute metal session recently. (December 30th I think). Great playlist and pace, she’s not messing around and let’s you know in advance this will be a punishing workout.

I’ve done it a few times now, typically as a short ride after I lift weights.

Be warned she drops some explicit language in this one.

ETA:

911Boss,

Sorry to see you leave the Peloton ranks but glad you will continue to check in here. Truthfully your story and results inspired me to get back into the game. I thank you for sharing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ