SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Perfection in a Country/WESTERN Recording
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfection in a Country/WESTERN Recording Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Since retiring, I’ve really been working to improve my guitar playing skills. I primarily play Blues/Blues Rock and Country and Rockabilly. Like my guitar heroes, I listen to those they listened to for influence.

My most recent guitar acquisition is a Fender Custom Shop reissue of a ‘59 Esquire. Since then, I’ve been listening to, and playing a lot of Country.

Grady Martin was a legendary Nashville session musician who played guitar on many, many recordings—including this one.

Backup vocals are by Tompall and the Glaser Brothers (the same Tompall Glaser who later became part of the Outlaw Country sub-genre with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker and others).

From the song itself, to the beautiful voice of Marty Robbins, the harmony of the Glaser Brothers and finally Grady Martin’s lead guitar. Perfection.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He has always been one of my favorites. The entire album is excellent.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
He has always been one of my favorites.

Same here. MR excelled with his ballads; he could sing the stories and he had excellent musicians to set the scene. The stories told were often excellent and usually didn’t pull punches. They didn’t always end happily either but they would often leave one thinking or humming. I still, almost spontaneously, break into the opening to El Paso from time to time.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Iron.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Big Iron is a good one. I really like Mr. Shorty, too, and a lighter, fun song is The Cowboy in the Continental Suit.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I also like to listen to "El Paso City", his follow up to "El Paso ". Especially played back to back.

https://youtu.be/8xvo_BBkIbg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Check out Feleena (From El Paso) to get the El Paso story from Faleena’s perspective, too. It came out between El Paso and El Paso City.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Steve Goodman, "The Perfect Country & Western Song" ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Have it on LP, 8 Track, cassette, CD and MP3. Smile

The album cover fascinated me as a child.
Besides the fact that the barber I went to looked just like Marty in the photo.

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I grew up with this album and listened to it countless times on the record player.

Just amazing.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post