New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold War Movies Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted
In honor of today's date.

Burt Lancaster was larger than life in this. Post your favorites.

Don't know why the picture above is a reverse image. Fruit salad is on the wrong side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3478 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fail Safe. Dr. Strangelove. Strategic Air Command.
On The Beach. Manchurian Candidate. From Russia With Love.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16145 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

The original Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People, from BBC, I think

IPCRESS File and its sequels

These are among my all-time favorites, and I have some on DVD.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9190 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33906 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And on a lighter note: The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

Posts: 426 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Manchurian Candidate.

Ice Station Zebra.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16731 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 144 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Dr. Strangelove and The Manchurian Candidate.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Bedford Incident" is another one.

Posts: 313 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Day After

Red Dawn

Ok…these are more about what happens when the Cold War gets hot, but enjoyable nonetheless!

Posts: 671 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The death of Stalin was hilarious!
Atomic blond had that particular Berliner feel to it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12151 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

0-0

Speaking of a Berlin-type feel, check out Kleo on Netflix.
I wasn't prepared to like it but, it has a Wes Anderson aesthetic to it, being a bit off-beat and darkly comedic.

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I wasn't prepared to like it but, it has a Wes Anderson aesthetic to it, being a bit off-beat and darkly comedic.

Looks great, I'm definitely going to watch this one.

Love the gratuitous use of a Makarov!

Posts: 33906 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most important one, Rocky IV, in which Rocky Balboa ushered in glasnost and ended the Cold War.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5175 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

0-0

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zd3k7BOlJpE?si=vg2ndzS4X1EMmDmW" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Picked it up and gave it another opportunity, and thanks to you. Liking it now.

Had stopped after first episode finding everyone extremely fugly. Not what i remember from living in Europe and matching age, in those days.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12151 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The Night People

By Dawn's Early Light

The Amateur

The Soldier

Invasion USA

Citizen X (a view from the other side at the end of the Cold War...a hunt for a serial killer):

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ice Station Zebra

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
War Games. Sure it was kinda silly but it was the dawn of the PC and the main characters choosing a missile launch on Seattle (and Vegas) in hindsight seems rather prophetic given the cluster the city has become.

EDIT: One movie I remember from the 80s that I thought was pretty good was Countdown to Looking Glass. I think it was a Showtime or HBO production but it's been such a long time since I saw it. I do remember Gingrich was in it as an interviewee, though.

Another was 2010: The Year We Made Contact. Sci-fi layered over political USA/USSR turmoil. I liked the film at the time, but like War Games it's kind of silly too and really not a worthy sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

And then there's Charlie Wilson's War, a flick that loosely tells the story of the funding of our future enemies in Afghanistan to defeat the Soviets in THAT war and in turn ultimately bring the end to the Cold War.

-MG

Posts: 2025 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDIT: One movie I remember from the 80s that I thought was pretty good was Countdown to Looking Glass. I think it was a Showtime or HBO production but it's been such a long time since I saw it. I do remember Gingrich was in it as an interviewee, though.

It’s available on YouTube, free.

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post