SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Audible users: Suggestions for non-fiction audio books?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible users: Suggestions for non-fiction audio books? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
From the "free" available collection would be nice, but I do have a few credits to spend as well for good stuff. lol

I'm about to finish Bury my heart at Wounded Knee, which is a book that's been in my house for 30+ years but I never read. I think that's the last of what was unlined to in my Audible library, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Not NF, but worth considering, the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

Based closely on the exploits of Thomas Cochrane.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve really enjoyed a few of the Bill O’Reilly Killing books, specifically “Killing Regan”, “Killing Jesus” and “Killing Lincoln”.

I also recently re-listened to “American Gunfight” by Stephen Hunter which is excellent. None of these are free but they are good books.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Oh that's an easy one:
The Viking Heart by Arthur Herman.

Goes from Viking history to the descendants of Viking immigrants in America; in the middle the Vikings are deeply involved in the origins of many countries in Europe, including England, Russia, and Italy, in addition to the Scandinavian countries (which includes Iceland).
I have no significant Scandinavian heritage but the history is fascinating and well told.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is a phenomenal book.
I also thought The Rational Male by Rollo Tomasi should be required for every boy before they are allowed to date.
Both are very good reads.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall. It's the definitive account of the French defeat by the Viet Minh at the Siege of Dien Bien Phu, and one of the best military histories ever written. I read the book about 20 years ago, but recent finished "reading" it again by listening to the audiobook through Audible.

(Fall also wrote another book titled Street Without Joy, which is a broader overview of the First Indochina War as a whole, and its segue into the Second Indochina War/Vietnam War.)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall.

Thanks for the reminder I read A Street Without Joy years ago, then started Hell In A Very Small Place but got side tracked after a few chapters and never got back to it. A few months ago I thought of it as something to revisit on audio book, but promptly forgot apparently.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple that I liked. Not 100% sure they are available on audible, but suspect they are. I read the pages.

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

A People’s History of the United States

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (I've read it twice and feel smarter each time.)

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

A People’s History of the United States

That’s on there, but so far I prefer “A Patriots History of the United States” which is also available.

I am only partway through but it seems like the Patriots history doesn’t shy away from inequality or bad things the government has done, but also acknowledges that this country and its leaders got a lot of things right as well as debunking several myths from the left.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The first book i listened to on Audible was "South" by Sir Ernest Shackleton, narrated by Steven Crossley. It was excellent. What an amazing and fascinating journey. It basically convinced me to keep Audible as a subscription.

And it is free.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ Listened to it a few months ago, after listening to In The Kingdom Of Ice. Smile

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I “read” mostly non-fiction on Audible. Recently, I read “Abraham Lincoln” by Carl Sandburg. It was good, but pretty long

I just started “Sherman” by B.H. Liddel Hart. It sounds good, but it’s too early to recommend.

I read “Hell in a Very Small Place” a couple of years ago and definitely second the recommendations above.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Empire of the summer moon. Its about the Comanche. Great book.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What about the Hardcore History podcast? Not books, but the WW1 one was amazing.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
What about the Hardcore History podcast? Not books, but the WW1 one was amazing.

Yeah, that’s a great podcast. Unfortunately only a few are free and the WWI episodes aren’t included. But they are well worth the money to buy them.