Find
Notify
Tools

King Rat Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
I've never read the novel King Rat by James Clavell, though I loved Shogun. But I'm currently about half-way through the movie and it's amazingly good. It is based on Clavell's time in a Japanese prison camp during World War II.

I never knew George Segal was such a great actor, only having seen him in Just Shoot Me. He is perfect in the role. Tom Courtenay, James Fox, and Denholm Elliot are also excellent.

I highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've never seen it, thanks for the heads-up.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
An excellent movie. Richard Dawson saves the day, or actually years.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Great read, great movie

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Clavell died at 72 which I suppose was a good run considering the privations he suffered in Changi. Probably still had some great books to write. Frown

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
The book is, as usual, much better than the movie.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember his in Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Wish I still had my copy of the book...

Very much enjoyed reading it as 'ute

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the book as a young'un probably would enjoy the movie though its been a long time since reading it. King Rat was a great title.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1933 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
The book is one of my all time favorites! I have never seen the movie, but have read the book probably 10 times. I actually got started by reading Shogun, then Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin and others.

I need to try and find it on streaming somewhere.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post