SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I just read that the JoJo Rabbit director is now getting to direct a SW film, perhaps the next installment. SMMFH.

Based less on what he did with JoJo, and more on what he did with Thor: Ragnarok. (I mean, that itself could have been a Star Wars movie, with some tweaks.)

And out of those what 3 Thor films, I thought Ragnarok was by far the worst. Horrible campy nonsense. Kenneth Branagh directed the best installment to me. And I wateched JoJo and didn't think it was worthy of all the hype.

They want to get serious over there at Disney they should hire Joseph Kosinski. He did Oblivion and Tron Legacy, both reference type films for sci-fi. Both were brilliant to me.
Or get Denis Villeneuve, Christoper Nolan, Ridley Scott, Doug Liman. Whole bunch of excellent directors out there who have done excellent sci-fi.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, I never understood the hype over Jojo.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yea, I never understood the hype over Jojo.

Film critics fall all over themselves over anything that can remotely be construed as "quirky". This film not only had a "quirky" title (A+), but it also had a quirky portrayal of Hitler (A++++++++++ - swoon!!!).

Believe me, you aren't the only one who thinks the hype over this film is overdone.

As regards Star Wars - how about a reboot erasing all but the first three (IV,V,VI). Hollywood keeps rebooting everything else, why not Star Wars - and don't let Kennedy, Rian, or Abrams anywhere near the project.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Hell, I thought Ragnarock was the best of the Thor movies because it was far different to the previous ones. Then again, the first 2 Thor movies were derivative garbage and the worst of the main “Avengers” solo movies.

Of course, he’s also got to get Thor: Love and Thunder done first, but that’s not looking the best.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
As regards Star Wars - how about a reboot erasing all but the first three (IV,V,VI)

And let's not make it about Skywalkers or Solos or anyone related to anyone, or anyone's babies, or Palpatine's skeet or ANY GD THING related to any of the characters from the first trilogy, the prequels, or the vomit that came after, except the Star Wars Galaxy.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, you can always read up on the “High” Republic:

And here’s some of the “themes” they want to work on:

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just rewatched it cuz Disney+. After the controversy over lightspeed ramming, you'd think they'd be a little more careful about handling light speed jumping. There's a scene in the movie that I'd forgotten about where Poe is light speed skipping the Falcon through areas densely packed with obstacles. I found it hard to believe that even Poe would be able to avoid hitting anything.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Just rewatched it cuz Disney+. After the controversy over lightspeed ramming, you'd think they'd be a little more careful about handling light speed jumping. There's a scene in the movie that I'd forgotten about where Poe is light speed skipping the Falcon through areas densely packed with obstacles. I found it hard to believe that even Poe would be able to avoid hitting anything.

The old non canon books explained there were several AIs in the Falcon that assisted with its operations. This could help Poe by reacting to the obstacles faster than he can alone.

Not saying this makes it much less stupid, but there it is. Not even a Jedi could fly through object filled space at light speed and react that fast.

Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops boy. without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that would end your trip real quick

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm mostly referring to them landing on a site. In the scene, the Falcon emerges from lightspeed surrounded by obstacles. I don't understand how they could have avoided hitting anything on approach.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'm mostly referring to them landing on a site. In the scene, the Falcon emerges from lightspeed surrounded by obstacles. I don't understand how they could have avoided hitting anything on approach.

You are correct. It’s just good ol’ JJ pulling more things out of his ass. Him and Johnson should go find Lebowski’s league an joining a bowling team together.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Well, you can always read up on the “High” Republic:

And here’s some of the “themes” they want to work on:

Fucking script by committee

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Lucasfilm Story Group, Kathleen Kennedy's Central Committee

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Lucasfilm Story Group, Kathleen Kennedy's Central Committee

Dinosaurs? Not pro war? So... It's Star Love now?

This High Republic is stupid it's supposed to be 200 years before ep 4, but that's not enough time for anything to be different. Yoda is still alive, Chewie is a young wookie, there are no large conflicts happening. It's supposed to be Jedi vs space Vikings or some such shit.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just streamed it.

That sucked. Hard.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Just saw this last night. HOT GARBAGE!!!!

Posts: 1922 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the latest rumor leaked from a Lucasfilm insider is that Disney may be planning to scrap the sequel trilogy, retconning it as an "alternate universe", in an attempt to save the failing Star Wars franchise.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, the latest rumor leaked from a Lucasfilm insider is that Disney may be planning to scrap the sequel trilogy, retconning it as an "alternate universe", in an attempt to save the failing Star Wars franchise.

To be honest, I think the main problem is that people are just getting tired of the big movies, and to a lesser extent Star Wars in general. Retconning isn’t going to fix that.

The Skywalker saga is played out, and with Carrie Fisher gone, and Harrison Ford unlikely to ever play Han Solo again, there doesn’t seem anywhere left to go. The sequel trilogy was an attempt to pass the torch to a new group in Rey/Finn/Poe, but I don’t think people would be any more interested if it was a different group.

I think the big blockbuster movie format for Star Wars is dead too. The longer form serial format from TV shows like The Mandalorian and the Clone Wars animated series are more interesting to me.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I never said it was a good attempt. Big Grin

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I saw this also,leaked by someone called 'Doomcock' (a Star Wars villains name if ever there was one) and upon research it appears to be, ahem, nonsense, and I can find no other confirmation.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally disagree. Get 20 nerds in a room with some screen writers, erase that black board, remove forced diversity or inclusivity from your project and write a story for the fans. That would sell.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post