SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Since there are no disc rental places around, any more, it's either that or buy it for either $20 (DVD) or $25 (digital, UHD, on Amazon Prime).

??

I’ve been renting discs from Netflix for almost 20 years and rent 4k discs from another company that is internet based. You can also rent discs from Movie Trading Co. Disc rental still well and alive.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Since there are no disc rental places around, any more, it's either that or buy it for either $20 (DVD) or $25 (digital, UHD, on Amazon Prime).

??

I’ve been renting discs from ...

I mean locally. As in: Run down the street and rent a movie.

Anyway... So we rented the movie from AP for $6 last night. I won't call it money wasted. It was entertaining enough. But the only way we'd buy the disc is if we found it in the $5 bin at Walmart.

TBH: I think it has the weakest plot and the worst plot devices of any of the Star Wars movies ever. (I guess we'll have to re-watch the much-maligned TLJ to be certain.) All I could think of, while watching it, was "Oh no, they didn't." Yup, they did. Repeatedly. I don't want to do any plot spoilers, but I expect those who've seen it know just what I mean.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My rental should be in the mail on Monday or Tuesday so I will know then. I guarantee I won’t like it but at least it will be something to do during this pandemic and it has lightsabers.

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ you have to wait until 4/12.

quote:

I'll see it a year from now on 4k Blu Ray. Fuck you Disney!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
^^ you have to wait until 4/12.

quote:

I'll see it a year from now on 4k Blu Ray. Fuck you Disney!

Nah, the 4k disc released on 3/31. I just got it in the mail yesterday from my rental place and watched it last night.

I mostly agree with pedropcola's review on the previous page. It was much better than the previous film. And I expected much worse. But in typical JJ fashion (I loathe him) he basically threw the kitchen sink at this film.

The story was all over the place. Lando's lines and role was straight up Velveeta cheese. The hilarious thing, with all the sophistication in the Star Wars Universe, from the ships, technology, etc, it's a little triangle/pyramid in this film, featured throughout, with little wires hooked up to it providing guidance to the Sith. That was some shit out of a 1950's era sci fi film. And I forget what they call it, but Poe jumping to light speed, did they call it light speed "jumping", was so stupid. As was Kylo's force thing where he grabbed Mary Sue's necklace she was given by the little Alien. All the force telepathy was way too much. And I was expecting Mary Sue to straight up fly. I mean she can hold a large ship at bay using the force, so why couldn't she just fly to Kylo on the water planet instead of taking a "skimmer". I mean what the force can do and what it can't is so inconsistent in this thing it was ridiculous.

I was calling the film Mary Sue and her magic pussy. Finn wants it, and Kylo/Ben, wants it so much he flips from dark side to light, because he wants the magic pussy, and he is willing to die for it. Ridiculous all the way around. What can't she do? I mean it wouldn't be surprising either, to have the entire rebellion just chill out, and get hammered drunk, and send Mary Sue out to do everything. The story and writing was just all over the place. I was Mary Sued out by the end.

If you kind of turned your brain off and just watched there was some great cgi and effects. But ultimately the Emperor again, the granddaughter bit, etc, was just too simpleton for me, and completely stupid. Hopefully now Palpatine is truly dead. I would have rather seen Darth Maul back to life compared to the old geriatric fuck, that Vader disposed of. What is your family name? She should of said Mary Sue Sugartits. The only redeeming thing about the entire trilogy from Disney was the actress, she is pleasant to look at. That's about it. The whole thing was contrived.

Given JJ had to make something to make up for the colossal fuck up that Rian made, hey I give him a B for an effort. 2 of 5 stars. Remove any semblance of expectations and it's a fun watch at home. JJ threw the kitchen sink at it, and he succeeded at making something worthy of a viewing at home, but that's about it. He tried, in a few scenes to pull at the heart strings, and really made a solid effort, but it was too clustered from the first frame until the end. Stories are everything and from the first film until this one, the stories and writing have just been subpar. Kennedy needs to be fired. They need to spend the money on some solid writers and directors.

And yet again, par for the course for Disney, the 4k disc is terrible. Reduced or limited range on audio, and even the PQ was subpar for a 4k release. Other films run circles around Disney releases whether Star Wars or SuperHo/Marvel. Why they intentionally mute the soundtrack (doesn't matter if you turn it way up) can only be done to "force" you into the theaters and I'm going to do that. I listen at 75db, which is reference for my room. BR2049, at 75db is rattling the room, highs and mids are blaring, in a good way. I bumped my AVR up 10db to 85db, and the reduced range of the audio soundtrack is still present. Same as the Marvel discs. Lows, mids, and highs are all reduced or limited range and turning up the volume does not fix it. They call it "Disneyitis" and it remains. For a company worth billions, just wiping their asses with money, this just never makes sense unless you think that by handicapping their discs is cheaper, which is another way Disney milks every dollar when they don't spend the money to do it right, and most other studios do, do it right. I have very powerful subs, and even with the gain turned up, bass never hits hard and I have watched so many films that do. Oblivion, BR2049, there are many reference discs. Disney still uses HDR10 when everyone else is using Dolby Vision. BR2049 on 4k, is night and day to a Disney disc. BR2049 being reference all the way around pushing your speakers to their limits, same for Oblivion. Looking forward to Top Gun 2 in my theater since Tom Cruise spends the money on the audio, and the director of this new film is the same director who did Tron Legacy and Oblivion. Both films providing reference audio on disc. And I'd bet my left nut it will be in Dolby Vision.

Put a fork in it Disney, grow some balls, and start making good shit.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
So I watched it..kind of. I'll try to refrain from spoilers.

Awful. Just Awful.

Total masturbatory mess that appears to have been written by someone who cut their teeth writing fan fiction of shows originating on the CW.

I spent the time watching and hoping that they would bring in some character that had a modicum of depth of emotion and perhaps added some real strength to the plot. Like Jar Jar.

I found myself in total envy of Boba Fett. Being slowly digested over a thousand years in the belly of a sarlacc must be a friggin pleasure cruise compared to watching this movie.

Makes the prequels look like The Godfather.

I feel bad for Adam Driver. It appears that he at least tried.

I watched it last night and turned it off with 42 minutes left. I'll finish it, but it will be in the spirit of finally getting a tooth pulled to get some closure.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel bad for Adam Driver. It appears that he at least tried.

I genuinely like Adam Driver in other things I have seen him in. I, however, HATE Darth Emo. That’s not his fault though, it’s the writers fault.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Rented it the other night. My wife who rarely comments on movies said “What a load of crap!” Not much more I can add.

Posts: 5696 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
https://babylonbee.com/news/di...&utm_campaign=buffer

Disney ordered by federal court to pay reparations to loyal Star Wars fans. Babylon Bee nails it again Big Grin

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Now available for streaming on Disney+, which I got for free for a year through my cell phone carrier. So I watched it last night.

All I can say is... Thank god it was free.

Awful. Just awful. It had plot holes big enough to fly a fleet of thousands of inexplicably manned Death Star Destroyers through, worse acting than a small town community theater production, and more cheese than a fondue festival.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember the name Chris Terrio...fool

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Now available for streaming on Disney+, which I got for free for a year through my cell phone carrier. So I watched it last night.

All I can say is... Thank god it was free.

Awful. Just awful. It had plot holes big enough to fly a fleet of thousands of inexplicably manned Death Star Destroyers through, worse acting than a small town community theater production, and more cheese than a fondue festival.

C’mon man. It’s Mary Sue! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Okay while we are thrashing Disney and believe me I was not a big fan of this movie, look back at the three prequels if you can sit through them and this becomes a masterpiece. Plus give Harrison Ford credit for not laughing through his part. I also think we have become too jaded by special effects and CGI to appreciate some of the work.

Now for an aside which should probably be a new thread. Another Disney flop that was not as bad as people made it out. First I am a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs's fan and anyone who read the Tarzan books realizes they are not for kids. John Carter was not that bad of a movie even with the personality less star. Poor promotion by Disney and a shitty title didn't help. It could have been a great start to a series. Still waiting for a true to the books Tarzan movie.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
Okay while we are thrashing Disney and believe me I was not a big fan of this movie, look back at the three prequels if you can sit through them and this becomes a masterpiece. Plus give Harrison Ford credit for not laughing through his part. I also think we have become too jaded by special effects and CGI to appreciate some of the work.

Now for an aside which should probably be a new thread. Another Disney flop that was not as bad as people made it out. First I am a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs's fan and anyone who read the Tarzan books realizes they are not for kids. John Carter was not that bad of a movie even with the personality less star. Poor promotion by Disney and a shitty title didn't help. It could have been a great start to a series. Still waiting for a true to the books Tarzan movie.

the 3rd prequel and maybe even the second one, are better than tlj and ros.

ros (and tlj) was visually stunning at times, but visuals are not disney's problem. plot and character are the problem and they are terrible at them. ros was completely all over the place, an absolute mess of pacing. it had moments and was better overall than tlj because it did not have as much sjw in it, but it was still not a good movie.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Yep, albeit barely.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:

ros (and tlj) was visually stunning at times, but visuals are not disney's problem. plot and character are the problem and they are terrible at them. ros was completely all over the place, an absolute mess of pacing. it had moments and was better overall than tlj because it did not have as much sjw in it, but it was still not a good movie.

Agreed. I think some people are in love with Star Wars so much they'll take anything when they should demand so much more. Disney is just a trash company to me. They are the only studio who demands the theater not let you in to a new release until after 17 days if you are trying to use a theater pass. They are the only studio who purposely cuts their 4k discs audio horribly, on purpose, with limited range. They vanilla, lowest common denominator everything that they do. Be it Marvel films or Star Wars. And they are greedy as fuck. They have no interest in making truly great films. Their bottom line is money, it's truly their only interest and absolutely nothing else. They have so many minions throwing them money like some dude at a tattay bar on payday outside of a pandemic. They won't change when everyone keeps paying for the product even when it sucks. Someone basically said "I didn't like it much but I'll see it again and I'll also probably buy the disc". <-- This is why you get crap films from them.

I just read that the JoJo Rabbit director is now getting to direct a SW film, perhaps the next installment. SMMFH.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
watched it last night. It truly sucked. I know that it is sacrilegious to say this, but I do believe that Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie made.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just read that the JoJo Rabbit director is now getting to direct a SW film, perhaps the next installment. SMMFH.

Based less on what he did with JoJo, and more on what he did with Thor: Ragnarok. (I mean, that itself could have been a Star Wars movie, with some tweaks.)

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
watched it last night. It truly sucked. I know that it is sacrilegious to say this, but I do believe that Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie made.

3rd or 4th best, depending on if you really hate the ewoks. It is a very good movie but it's not better, imo, than ANH or ESB. I still love RoTJ as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post