SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Michael Caine turned 90 today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michael Caine turned 90 today Login/Join 
posted
I did not realize he is that old. So many great movies and he’s still going. I’ve thought he was great in everything he’s done.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5154 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve thought he was great in everything he’s done.

Sooo ummmm never seen Jaws 4 have ya. Smile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7667 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He started out as Maurice Joseph Micklewhite. His mother was a cook and his father worked in a fish market, and now, he's Sir Michael Caine.

He's a common man, and I say that as the highest of compliments. If you met him on the street, I have no doubt he would be happy to speak with you. He has my admiration, and my thanks for all of his roles.

Posts: 107434 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
I’ve thought he was great in everything he’s done.

Hah, well there is that. But was he good in it?

- David Horowitz

Posts: 5154 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I revisit this video every once in a while because it's so interesting to see these two interacting. I don't own many of his movies, so I'll watch the Dark Knight in his honor tonight.

https://youtu.be/kauo3Hj1lt4

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
He's a bloke. When Madness wanted him to do his voice on a music video he was at first reluctant. His daughter convinced him and he actually went in an recorded "I am Michael Caine "

The video itself is explained here on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Caine_(song)

It is inspired in part by his film The Ipcress File The video itself is quite cinematic for a Pop song and was supposedly filmed in 35MM . ( see wiki article.

Madness was a ska to start and evolved into a more complex band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-5yn3v3N8A

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of his best roles was in Get Carter. Not often shown but a great Brit crime film.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16056 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Even Michael Caine hasn't seen Jaws 4. He was asked about it on Jonathan Ross in 2016, and he had the most Michael Caine answer:

"I have never seen it [Jaws 4] but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The man is great. He's also based, if I may be forgiven for using that term.

Sir Michael Caine hits out at 'bull***t' suggestion his 1964 movie Zulu incites extremism after it was included on list by government's Prevent scheme for 'encouraging far-Right sympathies'
Read more: The programmes flagged for 'encouraging far-Right sympathies'
By LAURENCE DOLLIMORE

PUBLISHED: 08:03 EDT, 9 March 2023 | UPDATED: 05:58 EDT, 10 March 2023

Sir Michael Caine has blasted the 'bull***t' suggestion his 1964 film Zulu incites the far-Right after it was included on a government list of works that may 'encourage' extremism.

The epic war movie, which also starred cinematic greats Richard Burton and Stanley Baker, depicts the 1879 Battle of Rorke's Drift during the Anglo-Zulu war, in which 150 British soldiers successfully held off 4,000 Zulu warriors.

While the soldiers were awarded 11 Victoria Crosses for their efforts, the re-telling of their victory – released 59 years ago – has previously come under fire for alleged 'racist overtones' and 'factual inaccuracies'.

But last month it emerged the classic had been listed as a 'key text' for 'white nationalists' and 'supremacists' by the Government's beleaguered anti-terrorism Prevent scheme.

On Zulu making the list, Sir Michael, 89, told The Spectator: 'That is the biggest load of bull***t I have ever heard', later adding: 'There are no films I wish I hadn't made... I got paid for all of them.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...cites-extremism.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30391 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched Second Hand Lions again last night. Michael Caine and Robert Duvall - what a team.

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
And the wife and I just rewatched Slueth with Laurence Olivier and M.C. Great acting there for sure.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Whomever in the UK government is responsible for the “far right sympathies” list is a fucking twat of the highest order.

In more pleasant news:

Happy 90th Birthday Mr. Caine, I’ve enjoyed your works.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many good movies come to mind. I really enjoyed him in “The Man Who Would be King.” That was just a great pairing with Sean Connery. It’s on HBO Max and I think I’ll have to re-watch it this weekend.

- David Horowitz

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The other milestone that happened this month is William Shatner turned 91. Maybe there is something of merit to always staying busy.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post